Delivery and Order Issues - Poor Support & Service

Posted · Delivery and Order Issues - Poor Support & Service

I think this thread really should have been split into separate issues, if there is an intention of constructive criticism.

Like a number of people here, I ordered my UM2 and went a long time without order feedback. As someone here suggested, I gave a call, and whatever was holding things up suddenly got unstuck. Then I had to fight with FedEx/Customs in the US, and of course I only imagine someone at FedEx getting upset and tossing my box around, but the result being what arrived on my doorstep was not exactly what left the manufacturer.

However, that being said, I can tell you far more than what a simple "I paid money and it arrived" would yield.

In short, if you survive the wait, you will be in possession of an incredible machine that is backed by fantastic people.

For the gentleman awaiting his replacement hot end ... okay, I cringed.

Someone else mentioned Chris helping them out. Chris is indeed nothing short of amazing, and she corroborates the report of doubling the size of the Support team. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Chris saved my sanity and set the bar for other companies' service and support. When the broken printer arrived, she ran through the usual "did you try?" but very quickly realized and respected that their customers tend to be a little more techie than other demographics. She asked what I'd done, considered it, looked at the pictures I sent in and said, "you know what? We need to get you a new machine." And that is precisely what she did. Now, I was terrified of another wait, more Customs fun, and all that. Not the case. Seems Ultimaker really wants to have best-in-class service, and they were in the process of partnering up with a company here in the states. So she introduced me to one of their people here, and over the next week we (all three of us) chatted about 3D printing as my new machine arrived. New machine arrived, was unblemished, and aside from not receiving a damaged machine the first time, I cannot imagine how things could have been improved.

Now I'm not trying to rub anything in anyone's face. What I _am_ saying is that the Ultimaker product is worth the wait, and if you run into any trouble whatsoever that can't be answered right here, their team is second to none when it comes to making you feel like you are their only customer and that you mean the world to their business.

So far, I know that ...

- they have pretty much doubled their support staff in the last two months

- they were having an issue with their ticketing system, but seem to have resolved it

- they answer their phones -- I've never had to leave a message on a machine

- they do not simply read from scripts when you call and ask for tech assistance

- they have expanded their global service presence on both support and part distribution

- they maintain a presence in all the big shows and they respond to feedback they receive there

- they are agile and shift resources within their teams to meet the needs of their customers

- knowing what I know now, if I could go back and choose again, I'd still be an Ultimaker customer

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically what Solonari said. Despite not always communicating how we fix things, but we are working our asses off to improve (Especially support).

Thanks guys for the kind words.

It is not always smooth sailing but we, the entire Ultimaker team, definitely work hard to improve, listen and show our love for our product and users in everything we do.

@ Shurik; Thank you, I will pass it on. Even to the ones from support ;)

I hope you understand we always do what lies within what is possible but sometimes that is not as flexible as we would want.

T

I think this thread really should have been split into separate issues, if there is an intention of constructive criticism.

Like a number of people here, I ordered my UM2 and went a long time without order feedback. As someone here suggested, I gave a call, and whatever was holding things up suddenly got unstuck. Then I had to fight with FedEx/Customs in the US, and of course I only imagine someone at FedEx getting upset and tossing my box around, but the result being what arrived on my doorstep was not exactly what left the manufacturer.

However, that being said, I can tell you far more than what a simple "I paid money and it arrived" would yield.

In short, if you survive the wait, you will be in possession of an incredible machine that is backed by fantastic people.

For the gentleman awaiting his replacement hot end ... okay, I cringed.

Someone else mentioned Chris helping them out. Chris is indeed nothing short of amazing, and she corroborates the report of doubling the size of the Support team. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Chris saved my sanity and set the bar for other companies' service and support. When the broken printer arrived, she ran through the usual "did you try?" but very quickly realized and respected that their customers tend to be a little more techie than other demographics. She asked what I'd done, considered it, looked at the pictures I sent in and said, "you know what? We need to get you a new machine." And that is precisely what she did. Now, I was terrified of another wait, more Customs fun, and all that. Not the case. Seems Ultimaker really wants to have best-in-class service, and they were in the process of partnering up with a company here in the states. So she introduced me to one of their people here, and over the next week we (all three of us) chatted about 3D printing as my new machine arrived. New machine arrived, was unblemished, and aside from not receiving a damaged machine the first time, I cannot imagine how things could have been improved.

Now I'm not trying to rub anything in anyone's face. What I _am_ saying is that the Ultimaker product is worth the wait, and if you run into any trouble whatsoever that can't be answered right here, their team is second to none when it comes to making you feel like you are their only customer and that you mean the world to their business.

So far, I know that ...

- they have pretty much doubled their support staff in the last two months

- they were having an issue with their ticketing system, but seem to have resolved it

- they answer their phones -- I've never had to leave a message on a machine

- they do not simply read from scripts when you call and ask for tech assistance

- they have expanded their global service presence on both support and part distribution

- they maintain a presence in all the big shows and they respond to feedback they receive there

- they are agile and shift resources within their teams to meet the needs of their customers

- knowing what I know now, if I could go back and choose again, I'd still be an Ultimaker customer

In this thread there are more complaints than praise.

If you really want to start a business do not sell a product manufacture to 6 weeks, because that spoil any service you sell

i don't think that ultimaker is the only manufacturer that is having long lead times, though the reasons might be different for each one. i assume that one common reason is not getting ahead of themselves with hires and then a slump comes. with employment laws, this would be more of a problem in europe than the us.

i just wonder what impact this will have on the market long term. for our project (we'll leave out the committee stuff that decided decisions could slide when the target date could not), we had planned to purchase 10 printers for a 3 month print job, part of the reason for purchasing was just gaining experience in large prints, and promotion for other projects that are in the pipeline for other customers. with the long lead times, we'll not be able to purchase enough printers to complete on time and so will be going with a service. the rep i spoke with said they are just swamped with orders and in a large part it is from people that had similar problems to ours, were frustrated by the lead time and looked for alternatives.

if people that are looking to buy printers find that a service can provide them what they need; no learning, no waiting, latest technology, material choice, ...; a printer at home/office might just remain a niche business.

Perhaps the best way to accelerate time to sell products in stock. Not good sell products that are not taken. This causes canceled orders.

To do this you must first invest and then sell according to what you have on hand and not sell the air.

If I manufacture and sell printers 1000 is more reliable than commercial search sales without having an actual estimated delivery time.

It is not normal to expose six weeks and then become 10 or more as I read it occurs.

We really really try to sell stuff from stock, as it gives a beter experience for the user, but every time one of the suppliers (out of the gazillion ones we have) can't supply (wrong parts, wrong tolerances, defective parts, etc.) you quickly run out.

In this thread there are more complaints than praise.

Well, since I posted my problem, it would be proper to post the resolution of it, too.

After being contacted by both the support and Sander (sometimes asking the same questions), the UM admitted the mistake of dispatching the order on other address after receiving the cancellation request.

They suggested to send me the Teflon coupler to my home, free of charge, and they did just that, via the FedEx. To remind you, the shipping cost of the tiny coupler to me on the UM site is set to outraging 41Euro.

All in all, this demonstrates fully why I complain and why I love the UM. They make mistakes, but they are honest, and they try to resolve the ongoing issues honestly, no matter what. We can only wish that every business in the world would share the same guiding principles.

My appreciation.

B)

To remind you, the shipping cost of the tiny coupler to me on the UM site is set to outraging 41Euro.

It is too much for a little piece in EU comunity, FeEdx not necesary if you can to wait 15 days for a normal send.

I normally buy to China and it take 4 weeks or less and without private sellers, and normally free sends.