Sign in to follow this  
concreteturtle

Ulticontroller Documentation

Posted · Ulticontroller Documentation

Does anyone know if there exists any documentation to go along with the ulticontroller?

In particular I'm looking at the conversion of the steps / mm in Cura to the setting on the controller.

(I'd also like to change the preheat settings)

Cheers.

The pre-heat settings are hardcoded.

The "steps per E" are exposed at 2 locations, one of them is called "flowrate" which allows you to adjust with steps of 1. The other is "steps per E", and in 0.01 steps, however, the 0.01 steps one is bugged and you better not use it.

Thanks Daid,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, what I meant was: Cura is running great for me and giving good quality prints, what I'd like to do is move the settings from cura to the ulti controller.

My calibration gives 848 steps per E, and I'm not sure of the conversion to E steps / mm.

BTW, cura is fantastic, makes getting started as a total noob a breeze, thank you.

"steps per E" is the same as "E steps per mm", so you can use the same value.

Great, I was thrown by the fact that the ulticontrollers default setting is 248, and Cura gave 848. I thought I'd need a conversion.

Thanks Daid.

The 248 is a bug, don't touch that setting from there, becauses it will store it wrong. I was told it was fixed, but it obviously isn't.

I tried to change it, but the adjustment it allows is only fine around about 99 E steps/ mm. I had an extruder jam, but I don't know if it is related.

I will revert to failsafe settings and start again.

If we don't change that value, where is the correct place in the menu to calibrate the extruder feed rate?

Is there anywhere that anyone knows of that actually explains what the things in the menu mean?

Hi concreteturtle, how would you compare the ulticontroller with cura for ease of use and quality? I'm finally starting to get some decent prints with cura and so quite hesitant to shake things up. Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Hi concreteturtle, how would you compare the ulticontroller with cura for ease of use and quality? I'm finally starting to get some decent prints with cura and so quite hesitant to shake things up. Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

I can't speak for the OP but I have used Cura awhile and just got an Ulticontroller. To be honest there's not much of a shakeup -- a 2 year old could put it together, and I'm still using gcode from Cura in it.

Also would like to add that I would have appreciated some documentation for the same reason, just to explain some values so there is no ambiguity or nasty surprises. :D

Out of curiousity, it the steps per E value recorded in the GCODE?

So if I load a .GCODE file sliced with Cura, would it print exactly the same as if I printed it over USB?

Out of curiousity, it the steps per E value recorded in the GCODE?

So if I load a .GCODE file sliced with Cura, would it print exactly the same as if I printed it over USB?

If you configure the steps-per-E in Cura, then yes. It's added to the start of the GCode file.

Yes I would like to re-ignite this discussion about documentation for the Ulticontroller.

Its very nice, and I use it for little things - but seriously is there not a .pdf somewhere just

at least saying what the units are for each varible, what they do etc?

For example fan speed ? what unit - radians per month ...what? Its definetly not in RPM !!

Extrusion amount, cura set to 900, ulticontroller says something like +250..what does that mean? :?

Its a lovely bit of kit, but without documentation its all just shooting in the dark.

Regards

Calum Douglas

Hi Douglas,

We have taken this upon us among with a revised version of the wiki.

So it is a work in progress.

But if anyone wants to give you some more insight in the meantime please feel free!

Yes I would like to re-ignite this discussion about documentation for the Ulticontroller.

Its very nice, and I use it for little things - but seriously is there not a .pdf somewhere just

at least saying what the units are for each varible, what they do etc?

For example fan speed ? what unit - radians per month ...what? Its definetly not in RPM !!

Extrusion amount, cura set to 900, ulticontroller says something like +250..what does that mean? :?

Calum Douglas

I agree with Doug. It would be nice to have a documentation regarding the settings. However it does seem like some of the variables is from 0-255 or 8 bits of information? At least I think the fan operates this way.

Hello,

A month has passed since the last post, I raised the issue of documentation Ulticontroller.

A +, Willy.