Ultimaker 2 Dual extruder upgrade - Creatr XLabs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Dual extruder upgrade - Creatr XLabs

May I ask if the quality issues are mainly related to alignment of the nozzles or to oozing?

Oozing, nozzle height differences. But making sure none of the nozzles clogs up is also important.

Hotends are strange things, you think you are almost there with an almost perfectly working nozzle, change one minor thing, and suddenly, it no longer works.

• 2 weeks later...

We know. That's what we think is the main reason to get one. But you will have the same problems with it. Blobs of non solvable fillament in your support is not a problem, but water solvable blobs inside your print are bad (as they wil ruin your surface). So you basicly have the same problems. Or actually, you have more, because solvable fillament tends to be an even greater pain in the behind to print.

Happy belated new year everybody !

:-| Sounds all too familiar to me. One should know the Ultimaker team has done a great job with their printer(s) so far.

It has a reason why they (still) struggle to come up with a working Dual Head for the U2. Which is frustrating enough for both sides.

Just wish there wouldn't be any promising announcements without being very sure it is about to really happen. If i would announce anything new from my company, than only the delivery of the needed parts for my (online) store should be an issue.

So PLEASE. We all support any try/work in this case BUT STOP announcing such "soon to be available" crap (no offense).

Thank you. Wish you luck and success! Seriously!

Hello Everyone!

It's great to have such an amazing response for our dual extruder :) These a little bad news in this update: the company who was supposed to make hopefully the final prototype before production had some issues and didn't managhe to make the new parts. They said it will be ready next week - so that's some good news!

Keep checking this forum thread as we'll be releasing a video of our dual extruder in action very soon.

Sam

We're all waiting to see those promised pictures and videos....

Is this a dual Bowden? Any news on its progress?

@Mutley3D if you check out the first post you can see 2 bowdens so yes :)

I'm also curious. I wonder how they tackle the problem of having both nozzles at exactly the same height when they use the E3D skrew on nozzles. Do you have to skrew them separately and try to get them perfect, or will you be able to move the hotend up/down...?

I bought my ultimaker 2 for one year with the sentense 2 extrude avaible on august 2014.

And now nothing changed.

But I hoping they really working on a 2 extruder.

The quality of the print are best I ever seen on any printer.That why I bought him. I'm wishing so badly for a 2 extruder on him.

What I don't understand why they are having so much trouble working on a 2 extruder, when so much printer already out with 2 extruder.

oups did you get the memo? Ultimaker stopped working on dual extrusion for the UM2.

schneck007: that you put a printer on the market does not mean that it works well (about all other printers with dual extrusion)

oups did you get the memo? Ultimaker stopped working on dual extrusion for the UM2.

Due to the fact that they abandoned this idea does it make sense to look for third party solutions? After reading threads the last few days, I got the impression that to achieve an acceptable result for the average user is quite a difficult task. How great is the risk to turn the printer into a dead brick?

Turning your printer in a dead brick is very very hard. I don't think that adding a second nozzle will have much chance of bricking the printer.

Even if you do something stupid and blow up the board f.e. you can still replace/repair everything ....

Turning your printer in a dead brick is very very hard. I don't think that adding a second nozzle will have much chance of bricking the printer.

It pleases. In this case, which of the variants with two nozzles most friendly to newcomers and has detailed instructions for installation and maintenance? Despite the fact that the feature is experimental, I want to be able to print, for example, PLA and nylon without changing the filament every time :)

None that i'm aware of. Experimental usualy means; Don't expect to get a succes rate of 80%, more like 25%-50%.

None that i'm aware of. Experimental usualy means; Don't expect to get a succes rate of 80%, more like 25%-50%.

This means that you should be prepared for the fact that a good result is when using two nozzles only in 50% of cases?

You should definitely be prepared to do a lot of tinkering until it works well.

Put zdarov! Ny, Ja ne caglacien:

There is a wish and need to print complicated parts which are unprintable wihout support.

And the support material needs to be removed before the part can be xoroshij?

Put zdarov! Ny, Ja ne caglacien:

There is a wish and need to print complicated parts which are unprintable wihout support.

And the support material needs to be removed before the part can be xoroshij?

We presume that there is. Durable materials are, but they have their drawbacks. ABS-toxic, and the filament with carbon requires a nozzle of stainless steel. Printers, giving the desired result out of the box requires completely different money... It's SLS-print and, for example, for my region it will cost 700 thousand euros, which is currently hardly feasible.

2 JonnyBischof: are there any good manuals on this topic? A consolidated experience in one place?

None that I know of. Your Google guess would be as good as mine...

I've never touched dual extrusion myself - haven't needed it yet.

I'm stuborn. I'll go on trying... :)

There is a lot of talk about difficulties printing soluble supports, as if it was some holy grail that has yet to be mastered.

Our 5 year+ old Stratasys uPrint prints soluble supports perfectly fine though.

It does not provide the same surface finish as the UM2 in general, and prints much thicker layers, but the soluble supports works just fine from what I have seen so far.

So I don't agree with the opinion that it is some kind of unobtainable ultimate goal.

It exists and has been working for many years at professional machines.

Here is a video where you can see the head of the uPrint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGj5TllQyRg

And a document about it: http://www.amtekcompany.com/pdf/uPrintTipReplacementProcedure.pdf

The uPrint, and most professional machines, does not support PLA though, which might make things easier.

But I am still a bit surprised how it can be that difficult for Ultimaker to master PVA when Stratasys does it.

EDIT: Or is Stratasys not using PVA for the soluble supports? I have to look into this..

Well, even much cheaper Mojo prints with two materials. So yes, it is not impossible. However, for the RepRap-based designs I'm yet to see a consistent, reliable solution.