3D-printed Microspringer RC tug boat

calimero

Posted · 3D-printed Microspringer RC tug boat

Hi

I've already 3D printer parts for my other boats but now I've decided to build a fully 3D printed tug boat.

"Springer tugs" are a class of cheap easy-to-build push boats based on North American "truckable tugs". Those real tugs are cheap, compact (in order to fit on a truck to haul from job to job).

A "Springer tug" is 455mm long and 200mm wide. Propeller and running gear are somewhat restricted to get close performances. Above deck you can build whatever superstructure you want and you end up with some crazy funny stuff.

There are two types of competition with those simple boats: water polo and "catch me if you can".

For wasserpolo, tugs are equipped with two "arms" to be able to grab/direct a floating ball into the opponent's goal.

That's what it looks like:

Anyway, really simple boats yet very fun to run. And also great recovery boat when speed boats blow over or batteries die in the middle of the pond. My springer has already tens of recoveries (other boats, football, kid's toys... you name it) under her belt.

I decided to 3D print a smaller version ('cause 455x200mm won't fit in an UM2). And small is beautiful !

r20_general_view_0.jpg

General view -

r20_general_view_1.jpg

General view

r20_hull_interior.jpg

Hull interior view - With Hextronix 1700kv BL motor 3D model

r20_profile_plain.jpg

Side view

r20_profile_xray.jpg

Side view (X-Ray)

r20_top_xray.jpg

Top view

12 hours of printing later :

Took me over an hour to remove Cura'support structures and adjust a few things.

Aside from a few "bugs"/things I overlooked that thing is way too heavy (and ABS is heavier than water which doesn't help).

Hull was brushed with acetone to melt the surface and make it watertight.

Things will be documented on my Microspringer page but I'll keep you posted.

I took the hull to the pond yesterday and towed it with my "fullsize" Springer tug:

Looks nice but way too HEAVY. I'm going to make the hull thinner.

And I'm waiting for RC components (receiver, speed controller) ...

Nice ! Way quicker than my 12hr print ! ;)

We also have one of these DIY vacuum-forming rigs lying around at my RC club's workshop. Not sure it's still in working condition though.

I've already been on your website a few times, looking at your barge kit. A little too small for a standard springer. We also have CNC cutting machines and I'm just done cutting the main parts for a 1200x40mm barge for my springer (out of 4.5mm plywood).

But once my Microspringer is up & running (190x85mm), your 1:50 barge might be a nice match !

And your Stan Tug 1606 1:50 looks sweet. :)

Hi,

Just a few updates (including stuff I forgot to post here).

Build log 2014-12-07 : Improved hull, RC equipment

Hull went through an aggressive diet. Walls and bottom were thinned. All in all approximately 30% shaved off.

Minor issues (clearance for the motor, ...) were fixed. Printing hull Rev.30 took a little under ten hours (overnight, as usual).

Print included an integral servo mount (ie: printed right with/within the hull) but it was too skinny and broke off too easily. I then decided to print another strong servo mount and "acetone-welded" it in place.

3D_r31_hull01.jpg

Hull and deck (Rev.31) - 3D model of what was printed

3D_r31_hull02.jpg

Superstructure design - More design required; getting closer

3D_r31_hull03.jpg

Side view - Redesigned/strong motor mount

r31_print_01.jpg

3D printed hull with RC equipment - Tests in bathtub were promising

r31_print_02.jpg

Underside - 3D printed push knees and rudder arm

r31_print_03.jpg

Deck and push knees - Mock installation

RC components are installed (with hook & loop / Velcro). Servo mount is a good fit.

RX, ESC, motor and ESC all work great. Even on a single LiPo cell motor seems a little fast but ESC allows smooth starts and has linear throttle response. Low pitch of the prop also helps a lot.

Motor was soldered to ESC to save weight and limit clutter. Servo plug on ESC was replaced with a 1.25mm Molex Picoblade one, to fit on the RX.

Rudder will be redesigned to get a little more surface (towards the propeller) although steering is already very decent.

Weight so far (including all propulsion, RC components, battery, push kees, deck, beam ...) is 149g (5.25oz). Previous hull (barebone) was 126g !

Build log 2014-12-13 : Deck and wheelhouse

Wheelhouse was printed. Maybe I'll add working navigation lights. Depends on the overall weight.

Lots of work to do on the wheelhouse (sanding ...).

wheelhouse01.jpg

Basic wheelhouse -

bollard_deck01.jpg

Deck with bollards - Bollards are strenghened with 1mm piano wire

bollard_deck02.jpg

Deck (underside) - Piano wire will get a dab of methyl-methacrylate glue

Simple cross bollards were printed. They were drilled to get some extra 1mm piano wire through.

Small pieces of ABS were "acetone-welded" under the deck where the bollards go.

Piano wire protrudes under the deck and will get a bit of metyl-methacrylate glue.

Build log 2014-12-17 : Locking tabs

hatch_tabs01.jpg

Locking tabs - Bow end first

hatch_tabs02.jpg

Locking tabs - Locks at the stern

hatch_tabs03.jpg

Tabs installed - Tabs acetone-welded in place

hatch_tabs04.jpg

Wheelhouse secured - Snaps right in place

Those tabs work surprisingly well (first attempt!) and positively lock the main hatch in place while still keeping everything easily (no tools) removable to change the battery.

Push knees were also "welded" in place. I've printed an exhaust pipe. I'm still unsure whether I'll install the bulwark or not. Time for MOAR SANDING.

Then maybe LED navigation lights (powering them from a CR2032 battery although 3V might be a little on the low side for white LEDs ...) and brass railings for the push knees and the wheelhouse.

Then a lot of prep work before painting !

Build log 2014-12-30 : Handrails, paint & fenders

The first Microspringer is now almost complete.

truckable_tug02.jpg

Truckable tug - Inspiration for the color scheme

microspringer01.jpg

Shabby paint job - TX in the background for scale

microspringer02.jpg

Fenders - 3mm rubber cord all round - Tyre inner tube on push-knees

microspringer03.jpg

Handrails - 1.00 and 1.50mm brass wire

Rudder was enlarged giving a little bit better maneuverability (trials in the bathtub !).

Just have to adjust a few things (paint the exhaust, add a couple stickers or lettering ...).

Posted (edited) · 3D-printed Microspringer RC tug boat

Hi folks ! Happy new year by the way !

I managed to launch both my latest RC boats this past Sunday. And one of them of course was this Microspringer.

microspringer01.jpg

Microspringer on the pond

microspringer02.jpg

Microspringer on the pond

Here's a short video of the thing weezing around (and even doing some push work !).

Edited by Guest

Great work Calimero!!

I've uploaded the relevant files on YouMagine: Microspringer RC Tug boat