Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
concreteturtle

Making duplicates

I'm trying to add duplicate .stl to my print area. I'm trying printing 4x Owens belt tensioners (

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12513

).

Is this something I can do inside Cura, or am I better off creating a new .stl with multiple copies then slicing this with Cura?

If modifying the .stl is best, what software would I be best off using?

Thanks again,

CT.

So previous versions of Cura - CuraRC1 for example - had a 'copy' button (as seen below) to achieve what you're trying to do.. So you can download the previous version to try it..

Img3450.thumb.jpg.1a4ce8b6c2473617a160d460161e2a94.jpg

But it seems Daid took that functionality out from the later versions and added it instead to ProjectPlanner - the difference being that project planner will print the objects one by one, while the 'copy' function would enable you to print all the copies simultaneously..

Another option is to use plater.py to open up the stl 4 times and then place it where you want to place it and then export it as a single stl..

plater.py comes bundled with CuraR4..under the printrun folder

So in a DOS prompt, you can get to the printrun directory and type the following to launch plater.py

..pythonpython.exe plater.py

Hitesh

But it seems Daid took that functionality out from the later versions and added it instead to ProjectPlanner - the difference being that project planner will print the objects one by one, while the 'copy' function would enable you to print all the copies simultaneously..
The copy buttons also caused other problems, which is why I took them out.

I do think the project planner gives better results, and is more flexible. But for lots of small objects it can use a lot of bed space.

Also:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/issues/98

I confess, I also really miss that duplicates button. sometimes I just wanted 4 Ultimaker feet to print out and hitting the duplicate button was so easy..
The project planner has a duplicate button almost next to the auto layout button ;-) yes, it's a tiny bit more complicated then the old multiply buttons. But it saved me a lot of trouble.