Help with analyzing print & calibrating

oliver3d

Posted · Help with analyzing print & calibrating

Hello guys!

I'm in need of some help with analyzing and calibrating my Ultimaker Original (with heated bed).

The issue:

Top view:

Here you can see that some of the layers are not touching.

Left side view (fan is on this side):

left

Right side view:

right

Bottom view:

Here you can see that near the top (the round part at the bottom in this picture) there's something weird going on.

bottom

Print settings:

Material: PLA

Layer height: 0.2

Shell thickness: 0.8

Bottom/top thick.: 0.8

Fill density: 100%

Print speed: 50mm/s

Temp: 210C

Bed temp: 50C

Diam: 2.85

Flow: 100

Retraction speed: 40

Ret. Dist. : 5mm

What I have checked so far:

- The short belts are tight, and are not grinding against the walls.

- All the pulleys are tight.

- Filament is measured.

- Bed is leveled.

- Room should be "breeze free".

Could you guys help me with this? :)

Hi Oliver,

Speed and temperature I guess.

A next one I would print with a finer layer, 0.1mm. It is a steep overhang, so give the printing filament a base to hold on to.

Lower the printing speed, to give the filament more cooldown time, and/or set minimal layer time to 10sec.

Depending on your pla, try a temp of 205 or 200.

Use as much fan as possible.

set a 0.6 or 0.5 wall thickness, Needs one pass. and use a infill of 25 % Should be strong enough for a fanduct and reduces the volume to cool down.

My best guess is, while printing you have noticed a lot of curling. After printing, the material shrinks and curls up a few mm of the print. pulling away the print from the nozzle, so there is nothing to drop the filament on to. making things worse. You can use a finger or screwdriver to check if the top of the print is hard or still soft.

Last but not least, normal Pla is a pretty low-tech material for a fanduct, my feeling is your tip surrounding the nozzle wont last long. better use something like abs or pla90.

Regards Kees

Thanks for your comment and help!

I've now tried printing with a temp of 205C, and that seemed to help a bit. I also increased the minimal layer time to 10sec.

A next one I would print with a finer layer, 0.1mm. It is a steep overhang, so give the printing filament a base to hold on to.

Wouldn't 0.2mm layer height give it more give more of a base to hold on to, or am I thinking wrong?

Oh and yes, PLA will surely fail sooner than other materials, but this duct is just a temporary one as I'm installing a second extruder soon :)

Thanks for your comment and help!

I've now tried printing with a temp of 205C, and that seemed to help a bit. I also increased the minimal layer time to 10sec.

Wouldn't 0.2mm layer height give it more give more of a base to hold on to, or am I thinking wrong?

Oh and yes, PLA will surely fail sooner than other materials, but this duct is just a temporary one as I'm installing a second extruder soon :)

About the layerheight..

Let's say you have 45 degrees angle (Overhjang). (your is flatter I guess).

A standard nozzle is 0.4mm, Imagine yourself a layerheight of 0.4mm.

A 45 degr. overhang would move the layer 0.4mm up and 0.4mm to the side ?!?

Theoretically it would be a nearmiss, the printed layer would not have much of a base?

With a 0.2mm layerheight you would get a 50% base?

with a 0.1mm you will have a 75% base? Right? ;)

+ a 0.1mm layerheight would give you less volume to cool?

Succes with the 2nd extruder!!!!!

Hello again fellow makers! I have a new patient (aka print) that i would need some advice with :)

Diablo front

Diablo side

Print settings:

Shell thickness: 0.4

Bottom/top thick.: 1.2

Fill density: 5%

Bed temp: 60C

Here you can see how it's come out like for others: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:224878/#made

The 0.4 shell thickness might part of the reason, maybe 0,8 would be better.

What do you guys think?

Hello again fellow makers! I have a new patient (aka print) that i would need some advice with :)

Print settings:

Here you can see how it's come out like for others: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:224878/#made

What do you guys think?

From what I see, it seems to be built for a powder based printer. Doubt the details can be resolved well on a wire printer unless you print it really big.

I don't think that the issue. The original maker printed it out with woodfill material, and several others of those displayed there are made with FDM. There's also one made with 0,2 layer height and 5% infill, and it turned out great!

Print settings:

What do you guys think?

It is a difficult model with severe overhangs. 0.4 shell is surely not enough. I would try 0.8 or 1.2, print speed 30

I thought so. So basically all models with tricky overhangs should be printed with 0.8 shell or higher. Thanks for the response!

BTW, here's the model after a bit of sanding and amateur paint job;

front

side