Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tsagos

Need help choocing UPS

Hello guys.

Last week I ordered a UM2 and its probably a good idea to protect it from the bad A/C we have here in my town. I really need your help since I dont know anything about UPS and dont know any of these companies that they make them.

How many watts or VA do I need just for the printer? What is your suggestion?

I will buy it from this store

http://www.e-shop.gr/ups

I'm not really sure but some time ago I monitored the energy use of my UM2 and I believe it was around 200 Watt (if needed I can recheck next week, but maybe anybody else also measured it?) ofcourse it will depend on settings, bed temp, roomtemp etc...) when you look at the specs of the devices online you can calculate the amount of printtime you'll get. APC has a watt vs time table on there site.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=29

basically its douable to get 15 minutes or half an hour or so for a reasonable price, so it will help for short power outages, if you really want to be able to continue for hours it will be a huge investment...

At work we have APC too, I don't think you really want to be able to print for a long time just on battery power, you just want a buffer between your power plug and the ultimaker that stabilizes your current incase of bursts or outages right?

Yeah sure, I dont want it to print on the battery. Just for few minutes before the power comes back up.

My fear is to fry electronics from the sudden up and downs when this occurs!

Many times the power goes off for 1-2 seconds, my PC can handle that without an UPS. I guess power supply can do that?