Very simple "fixes" for "issues" with Cura.

bot

Posted · Very simple "fixes" for "issues" with Cura.

There are a few things I don't like about Cura, but many things I love. These issues haven't forced me to go back to any other software, but it's becoming frustrating.

1) There NEEDS to be a "slice now" button, instead of automatically slicing any time an object is place. In fact, the program should ONLY make a new set of gcode when I tell it to, otherwise it is VERY annoying to accidentally bump a model a few mm and have it start slicing again. This is not optional, I don't know why the program works the way it does now, i'ts nonsensical.

2) When an object is moved so that it is partially on the build area and partially off of it, the programs hangs for some time. Just FYI.

3) I know, I know, python is 32 bit... but this needs to change. I'm constantly running into memory limitations, and the 14.11RC7 I also have doesn't always solve that.

These and other small issues I'm forgetting add up to a LOT of frustration when using Cura.

Besides that, thank you for the wonderful free software! :)

1) No.

2) Odd, never seen that behavior. How many polygons does the model have?

3) RC9 has improved on this a bit more, if you use plugins. (Also, the MacOS and Linux versions do use a 64bit python)

These and other small issues I'm forgetting add up to a LOT of frustration when using Cura.

If you're forgetting them, then most likely they are not that frustrating...

(You do present a real challenge here. Asking for fixes without telling what the problem is. Maybe I should consult a mind reader)

A very succinct answer to number one. I shall find another slicer. Thanks. As for the number of polygons for number 2... I don't know. It doesn't require many. Simply multiple pieces on the plate, a circular bed plate, and one piece being half on and half off the grid. It only freezes the first time this happens, it seems, with a set of models on the plate.

I do have to agree that its a shame there isnt an option to "suspend slicing". There are countless times that i have had to make tiny tweaks to model and wished i could postpone the slicing process until i am ready.

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE that CURA slices in real time. But sometimes wish i could stop it temporarily.

I have noticed that the latest RC tends to hang more and longer when the slicing starts. That makes the lack of a "Slice Now" feature more noticeable.

But a bug is no reason to implement a feature... ;)

Does your statement include RC10?

A good reason to implement a feature is to save your users hours of aggravation because your software assumes its users are dumb.

But a bug is no reason to implement a feature... ;)

Does your statement include RC10?

If that question was directed at me, I'll have to check later when I get home...

because your software assumes its users are dumb.

Takes a look at the values entered in different fields the past 6 months. Spots a view good ones, like "q" for layer height. "M105" for temperature, and "slow" for shell thickness.

I don't have to assume it. I even have data to back it up!

I have the data to back up my assumptions of the developer, now too.

Could you pretty please stop making snide remarks. If you don't like it, you can say it. But there is really no reason to insult either me, daid or any of the software engineers that work on Cura.

Take a look at your Holyness the software developer. I'm done. I came here to try and give you guys feedback.

Have fun with your little computer program. Edit: Oops... that last comment was snide, wasn't it?

@nallath. To me it looks like Daid is the only one insulting people (i.e. all Cura users) here. Maybe it's the software engineers that need to change their attitude towards Cura users.

Anyway, Bot was trying to help improve Cura by giving a suggestion and all he got was a 'NO' without ANY explanation? Looks like he's going for a different slicer now after the way he was treated by the UM team.

Other users (and me) seem to agree with his suggestion and we still don't know why it's not a good idea?

I seem to remember someone modding cura a few months back to disable the auto-slicing. Can't remember who it was though...

I do wish it was optional as well. Drives me nuts from time to time because it DOES slow things down in the GUI.

We can only guess that if the representatives of UM believe that all of Cura users are dumb, and most UM purchasers use Cura, it must follow that UM representatives believe most UM users are dumb? That's logic for you.

Auto-slicing locks up my GUI constantly as I make minor changes to the settings. The total time it is locked up per slicing session is certainly longer than it takes to slice the 'last' time. This, although most of my models are simple and I have a very capable CAD station.

I would think an opt out 'suspend auto-slice' tick box would satisfy both user styles.

Matt

To go off-topic a bit.

When I ordered my UM original I had some very bad experiences with their customer support as well. Let's say they weren't very helpful at all. Maybe it's the UM company culture to treat paying customers and Cura end-users in a certain way?

I'm Dutch and customer support here in general is average, but I never experienced this kind of thing from other companies in the Netherlands. The attitude of UM team members in this thread and the other discussion on the topic doesn't impress me at all.

Takes a look at the values entered in different fields the past 6 months. Spots a view good ones, like "q" for layer height. "M105" for temperature, and "slow" for shell thickness.

Seriously? Can we have clarification on whether this is Ultimakers official company view please?

Bot provided some valuable feedback from the perspective of a user for you.

Daid, you may have made Cura by yourself originally for yourself and it's a really great bit of work, but you're now an employee(?) of Ultimaker. This manner of response won't generate positive publicity. It sadly reminded me of "doing a Ratner" For those unfamiliar with who he is and what he said, Google his name or check this link. :sad:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1573380/Doing-a-Ratner-and-other-famous-gaffes.html

As an Ultimaker customer, soon to order a second UM2, I'd also quite like to see an opt-out "suspend auto-slice" tick box in Cura for the reasons already stated. Other than that, I think Cura is an excellent piece of software and firmly remains my slicer of choice. :smile:

I may be one of the few that likes the 'nature' of Daid's responses - they are pretty short and to the point!

I can see thought how a user might take umbrage at a short response to their sentiment - "I hate this feature, fix this and this and this - oh and lots of other stuff I can't even mention"

This is a two way street. Just because someone is an employee does not mean they have to take anything a customer says as gospel.

I don't think I have ever seen Daid 'diss' a well put argument, but he clearly has reasons to keep the auto slice function and regularly see users 'ask' for it to be disabled - must get really tedious for Daid.

The OP's original post had some emoticons to try to soften the NEEDS but also threw in some non useful phrases adding up to a LOT of frustration - so I guess started the ball rolling.

I like the fact that UM staff expose themselves to their users like they do on the forum - they must have thick skins. I use cura for some stuff and paid for software for others - and in the time Cura has been incrementally upgraded 6 times my paid for software has not been updated at all ........ just sayin!

A dialogue is clearly useful - rants probably less so!

I think Diad's responses could do with I little bit more emoticons, now his remarks sound arrogant :)

and after reading some more old posts regarding Cura, I think the problem is not Daid not wanting to, he just hasn't the ability to do it.

he is still constantly struggles to get new versions to work properly on OSX :mrgreen:

I think Daid should just do like all other sofware makers, don't say a word, and just release new versions once in a while, so that we can't complain, and just have to deal with it.

Hey guys everybody needs to calm down a bit ;) No need to insult others we are grown men/women so please stop dropping bombs every now and then ;)

One thing I can add to this is that i understand bot's frustration, but, just try to ask a feature that seems illogical to any developer he will answer in the same way.

If it's no then there must be reasons, and if you really really need it then code it yourself, it's the joy of open source.

I personally think it's pretty cool to have the developers of Cura on the forum, answering questions and listening to (useful) requests, it's what makes Cura a great slicer, it's not perfect but it's evolving every now and then.

And i'm pretty sure that Pink Unicorn will be a game changer

I must admit my original post could have used a different tone. I apologize.

:mrgreen:

It was very early in the morning and I had not slept. Bad combo for ranting on the internet I guess. I'm excited for Pink Unicorn. Would I still need to run a linux partition to get 64 bit?

There are 'dumb' users. With dumb users, it's generally meant that there are people who do not understand the paradigm of a piece of software (which doesn't make them stupid, they just dont have the knowledge / mindset).

This means that you must keep your software simple. That's why there is so much protection in the software. If you compare our 'protection' mechanisms with say, makerbot, you can see that we have very little. We only warn people if they are about to do something 'stupid' but in most cases still let them do it.

Pink Unicorn will support more advanced plugins. Like, way, way more advanced plugins. This will make it a lot easier to contribute code, without forcing us to spend more time on maintaining it. Think of it a bit more like the elder scrolls games; Its the modding that makes it awesome (even though there are pretty crappy & unstable mods out there!)