Cura autoslicing - poll

Dim3nsioneer

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura autoslicing - poll

Rc2 certainly seems MUCH better, at least in that one scenario I showed on the video.

I do like helping you squash these bugs, but I'd still think I'd like to have a manual slice OPTION. :)

Another bug, but it's kinda user error, is when I switch to the layer view pre-emptively, before the thing is ready, I get a frozen screen, rather than being able to switch back to the normal view. Perhaps just greying out the layer view button until it's ready would work.

Rc2 certainly seems MUCH better, at least in that one scenario I showed on the video.

I do like helping you squash these bugs, but I'd still think I'd like to have a manual slice OPTION. :)

That's great. For the manual slice option, there is that patch you can apply yourself ;-) as I much rather fix these bugs and help everyone out.

Now the actual cause and fix that I did in RC2 had to do with how fast the previous process was killed. Which happens almost instantly on my computer, but apparently takes a lot more time on your computer (no idea why). The bug was that the GUI was actually waiting for the process to end, which it should not do.

Another bug, but it's kinda user error, is when I switch to the layer view pre-emptively, before the thing is ready, I get a frozen screen, rather than being able to switch back to the normal view. Perhaps just greying out the layer view button until it's ready would work.

That is a bug, but a huge code design flaw one. The layerview has all kinds of small nasty things like that.

Difference between RC2 and RC3 is not related to this problem. RC3 has 1 extra setting for Paul (Bluebot) who is going to tweak the default quickprint profiles for better quality and printing speed. He is like the master of 3D printing quality on the Ultimaker and everyone should bow for him.

He did this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66753090@N08/6191494335/

While the rest of us was doing stuff like this: http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20110914_103511.jpeg

Interesting, daid. Are you running a PC? Windows 7? Do you have MS Security Essentials enabled? I wonder why my machine has trouble killing the process...

And PM_Dude, copying that file over does nothing for me...

Let it slice once, right click on the save icon, select "auto slice off".

It was explained in my first post with the patch

Oh... yeah. I forgot, sorry. I was expecting to see the button right away. This is FREAKING AMAZING! You just saved me so much frustration. Perhaps I will stick with Cura.

Thank you, PM_Dude.

Interesting, daid. Are you running a PC? Windows 7? Do you have MS Security Essentials enabled? I wonder why my machine has trouble killing the process...

Yes, yes, and yes. So that's most likely not what's triggering it. (i5 2.6Ghz, 8GB ram on this laptop). Also not seeing this extreme effect on my slow 6 year old Vista laptop.

I'm also wondering why that is. But it's good to know that that can happen, and that I should handle it better. Got a few more reports that people who slightly experienced this issue have less problems with the RC2 or RC3, but that it does not solve it 100%.

You know what it might be (a wild guess here), I'm running an SSD, and cura is running off the SSD. and I have my appdata and other folders moved to another hard drive (kinda hacky). I wonder if that might have anything to do with it...

This laptop is indeed running on an SSD. My old laptop is running on a 5400RPM disk.

But, Cura isn't doing much disk access, as it tries to keep everything in memory. Only log files and final gcode files when you press save are stored on disk.

Most c or c++ programs when "killed" do a lot of heap cleanup first. It's silly but that's how we usually write the programs. So all those destructors or free() commands have to get run. When there are a lot of objects in the heap (millions) it can take a long time to delete them all. Especially for linked lists or other linked structures - following all those links and running a delete or free on each one. This can take a long time (e.g. maybe 30 seconds) and also slow the computer down while this happens. There's really no need to do this other then so that you can check for memory leaks when debugging the code.

If you do a instant kill on the process (like from task manager process tab versus application tab which only sends a kill message) it skips that step and just frees up the memory allocated to the process on a higher level - not going through all the linked lists.

I'm thinking the difference between daid and bot computers for this "kill process" step is that bot had a larger amount of memory tied up in the heap because of a larger model or thinner slice and maybe he was going a bit to page faults on the disk on the cleanup step.

If you do a instant kill on the process (like from task manager process tab versus application tab which only sends a kill message) it skips that step and just frees up the memory allocated to the process on a higher level - not going through all the linked lists.

I actually ask for an instant kill, not a nice shutdown.

But swapping could be causing slowdowns. However, that means he would be low on physical memory, which would be... odd.

Well, I have 16GB of physical memory here, so if anything the python process would run out of places to allocate memory... (is that the right way of putting it?)

Well, I have 16GB of physical memory here, so if anything the python process would run out of places to allocate memory... (is that the right way of putting it?)

I don't think you'll be having any swapping with 16GB of physical ram. So it's a mystery right now what's actually causing it. Might be very hard to pin down.

. Might be very hard to pin down.

Unless he ships his computer to Daid :)

If this is Windows, there are tools in the SDK for taking core dumps and analyzing them for blocks. However, with the python interpreter/VM they might not be as useful as they are when debugging native or .NET code.

I don't think you'll be having any swapping with 16GB of physical ram. So it's a mystery right now what's actually causing it. Might be very hard to pin down.

Yeah, good thing I'm able to solve the problem now by disabling the auto-slicing! :)

need some Help..

i know i am dumb when it comes to programming stuff.

but i just couldnt figure out how to install that desired manual slicing version.

ive been waiting for soo long and now i cant test it.

First github.. i cant download from there. its a very confusing page.

lucky-me, some posts later i find a download.. but i just get this .py file

now what do i have to do with it?

i hoped it would be a standalone cura app

Just copy it to replace the file in the Cura installation folder and run Cura ;)

You can disable autoslice when clicking on the save as gcode button if i recall well

Until recently, I hadn't been annoyed at all by the autoslicing, but I have started to have problems with Cura being non-responsive while it does parts of the slicing. This seems to be related to using plugins. Seems like Cura hangs while it lets the plugins do their business.

My temporary work around is to clear the platform, setup the plugins and then load the model back in, thus preventing Cura from slicing during this time.

Plugins sometimes need quite some time indeed, depending on the size of the gcode file. However, if it is the plugin causing the delay the slicing progress bar should stay on 100% or very close to 100%.

Unfortunately, plugins can also not be stopped during execution while the CuraEngine is able to restart when settings are changed. But: it is now possible to display an additional progress bar during plugin execution. A first example is the https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/raw/development/TweakAtZ.3.99-RC1.py.