Jumps in x and/or y directions on 2nd layer

chemwhite

Posted · Jumps in x and/or y directions on 2nd layer

I am not sure if this has something to do with Cura or something else, but all of my prints seem to want to jump several millimeters in the x and/or y directions near the start of the second layer. That is the second layer of the object, so if I use a raft, it would be the fourth layer. The jumps range anywhere from a millimeter or two up to a couple of centimeters. Really messes up the prints. After that jump though I am usually able to do the rest of the print with no jumps. Any suggestions?

This is usually due to belts with too little tension. You could lower the travel speed, but that would just hide the problem. Check if you small and long belts are thight enough, and that all your pulleys are tight enough on the rods.

I do have belt tensioners on all the long belts and they seem reasonably tight. Also, the jump only happens once during a print (even the 1500 layer print that I did last night), and it always happens on the same layer (2nd layer not including raft). It seems that it is related to either software, firmware, or electronics. I just put an Ultimaker controller on, and I think that it may have something to do with that. I installed the version of Marlin that comes with Cura 4. Is that compatible with the Ultimaker controller?

Yep, the RC4 firmware is Ulticontroller compatible. But you can always installer a newer firmware make with the builder:

http://daid.eu/~daid/marlin_build/

if you think there is a firmware problem.

The only other layer shift possibility that I know off is that you extrude too much plastic in the first layers, which causes the plastic to curl up and stop the head from moving. But I've only seen this happen if the start Z was too low.

Don't think that the head is getting stuck on the 1st layer. It's almost like the origin (or home position) changes for some reason. Also, it happens whether I use the Ulticontroller or the computer to drive the printer. And if I repeat the print, the jump also happens exactly the same way each time, although it is different for different models.

Try the latest firmware then (Cura is a bit older), there have been fixes, but I cannot remember any fix that effects X/Y position. But it never hurts to try.

I am using the Ultimaker original+ with an SD card and I have the same issue. Started after a Cura upgrade and was never solved with the next upgrades. I still have my original firmware and older G-codes from my first Cura version run well. This is a Cura issue, I'm pretty sure of it. I use to think it was related to the default add-ins but removing them no longer solves it and it only gets worse, happens with nearly every new G-code.

Anyone knows how to resolve it?

Capture.JPG.44c67ec437efbf0edebe00ab16adfad9.JPG

Capture.JPG.44c67ec437efbf0edebe00ab16adfad9.JPG

Posted (edited) · Jumps in x and/or y directions on 2nd layer

Have you looked at the gcode to see if there is a reset of the origin or x/y positions being offset on that second layer?

P.S. Layer numbering starts at 0, so the second layer would be

;LAYER:1

Edited by Guest

Actually at a closer look it seems like its the fourth layer that jumps to the side, here are the first lines from the first five layers, can't say that I can see the problem here, thanks.

;LAYER:0

M107

G0 F9000 X96.059 Y87.118 Z0.300

G0 X95.861 Y87.382

;TYPE:SKIRT

G1 F1200 X96.059 Y87.118 E0.00652

G1 X97.045 Y86.132 E0.03406

;LAYER:1

M106 S255

G0 F9000 X88.850 Y114.249 Z0.550

;TYPE:WALL-INNERCapture.thumb.JPG.5015b1460885da7fb61c246515d84ada.JPG

G1 F1620 X92.500 Y114.249 E31.44494

G1 X92.500 Y116.650 E31.48446

;LAYER:2

G0 F9000 X116.149 Y114.249 Z0.800

;TYPE:WALL-INNER

G1 F2100 X116.149 Y109.150 E52.88289

G1 X88.850 Y109.150 E53.33221

;LAYER:3

G0 F9000 X92.500 Y114.249 Z1.050

G1 F2520 X92.500 Y116.650 E74.26295

G1 X86.850 Y116.650 E74.35594

;LAYER:4

G0 F9000 X100.342 Y88.947 Z1.300

G1 F3000 X100.379 Y88.920 E95.63818

G1 X101.050 Y88.608 E95.65036

Capture.thumb.JPG.5015b1460885da7fb61c246515d84ada.JPG

Ok, I'm not seeing anything in the gcode that looks like a offset jump or otherwise.

If you print using the same gcode file multiple times, does it always jump? And exactly the same way?

'Cause you said it happens nearly all the time.

Does it always happen on the same axis? X or Y?

It kinds sounds like a loose wire on either your X or Y motor. Or a motor is going bad.

Yes, it always happens at the same point in the program and always to the negative x direction I think. If I use an older code it runs fine, not a hardware issue. I tried the last model sliced to 0.2 mm layers instead of 0.25 mm and that worked just fine, no jump but I'm not sure that that will make the promlem go away. If it does I'll update.

Thanks again for commenting!