Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
aviphysics

State of Ultimaker Original ( UMO ) heated beds?

Another option is the kit discussed here (and onwards):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2771-complete-heated-bed-kit-for-ultimaker/?p=40421

Which I believe quite a few people (incl. me) opted for, before the official UM heatbed kit was released...

Its quite alot cheaper, but does not come with the improved z-stage or 3-point leveling (that last part is pretty easy to do yourself though)

Another option is the kit discussed here (and onwards):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2771-complete-heated-bed-kit-for-ultimaker/?p=40421

Which I believe quite a few people (incl. me) opted for, before the official UM heatbed kit was released...

Its quite alot cheaper, but does not come with the improved z-stage or 3-point leveling (that last part is pretty easy to do yourself though)

I remember that bed kit. I was tempted to get one, but didn't like the way the leads were attached to the plate. Kind of a mute point now, cause it doesn't seem like he sells them anymore.

It is indeed a thing to get:

https://www.ultimaker.com/products/heated-bed-upgrade-kit

Basically a UM2 bed, 3 point leveling and additional rigidity.

Ordered from MakerShed. The price is pretty tough to swallow, but just closed my eyes and did it. The upgraded z stage and leveling system will be nice.

I remember that bed kit. I was tempted to get one, but didn't like the way the leads were attached to the plate. Kind of a mute point now, cause it doesn't seem like he sells them anymore.

Ordered from MakerShed. The price is pretty tough to swallow, but just closed my eyes and did it. The upgraded z stage and leveling system will be nice.

Please post the amount of time it takes to receive the kit from MakerShed, and your shipping distance. I ordered mine directly from UM on Nov 14. It shows in the tracking system as complete, paid and ready to ship, but it has shown that for a few days. I opened a ticket to ask for the expected delivery date to Brooklyn.

Please post the amount of time it takes to receive the kit from MakerShed, and your shipping distance. I ordered mine directly from UM on Nov 14. It shows in the tracking system as complete, paid and ready to ship, but it has shown that for a few days. I opened a ticket to ask for the expected delivery date to Brooklyn.

MakerShed ships from U.S. They were pretty fast when I ordered my UM from them last year. I think they keep the parts in stock. Bying from UM direct would have been slightly cheaper, but has to ship from the EU, so that is gonna take a lot longer.

I don't think the HBK is routed to a US location when ordered via the UM site. Some US companies like MakerShed seem to stock it now though.

It will be nice when parts and accessories are readily available from US sources or routed from UM HQ to a US point for fulfillment. I think that would take a lot of pressure off UM. I hate buying cheap copies/clones. I'd rather see UM get some of that money.

Some/many UM2's are built in USA and shipped from USA but I don't think the HBK is.

I asked Simon at fbrc8 before ordering, and he did not have them, so I figured that everything was being assembled at UM HQ. I saw that MakerShed was selling them, but I had no idea if they actually had stock, and their price before shipping was almost the same as from UM after shipping. The UM site and the invoice say that parts ship within 5 days. :mad:

Some/many UM2's are built in USA and shipped from USA but I don't think the HBK is.

I don't know about now, but during my experience with getting my original UMO frame replaced, due to it being warped, was told all Ultimaker frames were made on a single laser cutter (presumably in the Netherlands). That was a year ago.

BTW, took ages to get the frame replaced. Great product, and maybe it is just the time difference, but it seems to take forever to get hardware support issues taken care of.

If I had to do it over again, I might have just gone with the Type A Series 1 instead of UMO. I think the UMO is probably a better printer in a number of ways, but Type A headquarters is within driving distance.

I don't know about now, but during my experience with getting my original UMO frame replaced, due to it being warped, was told all Ultimaker frames were made on a single laser cutter (presumably in the Netherlands). That was a year ago.

BTW, took ages to get the frame replaced. Great product, and maybe it is just the time difference, but it seems to take forever to get hardware support issues taken care of.

If I had to do it over again, I might have just gone with the Type A Series 1 instead of UMO. I think the UMO is probably a better printer in a number of ways, but Type A headquarters is within driving distance.

This isn't even a production issue, it's a shipping issue. My account has shown "Order:Complete, Payment:Paid, Shipment:Ready" for days now, perhaps longer. Since when is it acceptable to charge a customer's credit card, then sit on the order? The charge was posted to my Visa card on Nov. 15th. Also, it has been more than 48 hours since I emailed customer support, and I have not received a reply. The support ticket shows "Unassigned" as the Owner. I'm considering disputing the charge, then just buying the HBK from MakerShed.

This isn't even a production issue, it's a shipping issue. My account has shown "Order:Complete, Payment:Paid, Shipment:Ready" for days now, perhaps longer. Since when is it acceptable to charge a customer's credit card, then sit on the order? The charge was posted to my Visa card on Nov. 15th. Also, it has been more than 48 hours since I emailed customer support, and I have not received a reply. The support ticket shows "Unassigned" as the Owner. I'm considering disputing the charge, then just buying the HBK from MakerShed.

My main point is that customer support is really slow.

Cancelling orders just increases the backlog but cancellations and other "money issues" are taken care of by different people at UM than the ones who help you with broken temp sensor or whatever. Even though it's the same phone number/website/email. The "money issues" tend to be taken care of much faster (like 2 days versus 2 weeks).

As far as "ready to ship" this is confusing because the software that takes the money is run by a 3rd party company and it doesn't seem to know anything about stock. So it really just means your money is valid.

Unlike a UM2, the HBKs don't take much work to assemble, but sometimes there is a bunch of kits waiting for some part.

Recently the support was almost doubled (from like 4 people to 7), but it takes time to clear the backlog. It should get better.

That's great news but if I was running the company I would have the entire engineering department drop everything and help out with customer support until the backlog got back down to under 24 hours. It would suck for all the engineers at first and delay the release of new stuff but they would also learn some things and they would teach the "permanent" tech support a few things also. And they would probably rewrite the ticketing system!

That's great news but if I was running the company I would have the entire engineering department drop everything and help out with customer support until the backlog got back down to under 24 hours. It would suck for all the engineers at first and delay the release of new stuff but they would also learn some things and they would teach the "permanent" tech support a few things also. And they would probably rewrite the ticketing system!

That sounds like a good idea. At my current company we doing a similar sort of thing. Normally the technical staff takes care of certain things, but when we have a rush, everyone up to and including the operations manager dives in to whatever needs to be done. It helps keep customers happy and also keeps everyone familiar with the finer details.

That sounds good to me as well, but I am biased. It's been four weeks since I ordered and paid, four days since I filed a sales support ticket, and not one word, not even to say that they are looking into it. If there is no word by Monday, I'll cancel the order and dispute the CC charge (it is due), and just get it from MakerShed. That would be a pity, because CC companies ding vendors for disputed charges.

The bed arrived today. I am in CA. MakerShed shipped from Fremont, CA.

BTW, it may be more expensive than your typical DIY heated bed, but they certainly give you a lot more. Everything looks pretty high quality at first glance.