Wish List...

jweaver

Posted · Wish List...

With Pink Unicorn on the way, I wonder if there is scope to get any features/changes added to CURA.. My gut feel is that PU is still a long way off, and even when its released, some people might stick with CURA until PU has had change to become "stable" after multiple bug fixes, so I would personally love to see CURA evolve further.

So I just wondered if there was scope to have any small features/changes added to CURA and wanted to start a 'wish list'.

Thats all it is.. A "wish list".. If it can't be done then fine.. But if Daid has some free time, perhaps he might have it in him to think about adding some of these, just to make CURA better than it is...

So let me start:.

1. Disable Auto Slicing (Joke) - Although it is still a 'wish' for many users, including myself.

2. Pause Button - I know we have talked about this and there are some problems, but its still something I REALLY want.

3. Individual Layer View - Just a way to see one layer, rather than the whole thig.

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone (Daid).. I am just suggesting things that I would LIKE to see, IF possible.

Jon

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Wish List...

Almost all development is on PU and other projects. Hardly any time is being spent on the current Cura. So if you want something, you are going to need to make it yourself (or find someone to do it for you).

Posted · Wish List...
    I really doubt that the dev team has a lot of free time at the moment (they are not only working on the software from what i know). But it's soon christmas so who knows :)

What do you mean with the Pause button?

From the Printing GUi i want a way to pause a print.. Just like you can with other apps, such as Repetier. daid has already stated tht there are some problems with the USB drivers, but this is a shame since it s a really obvious ommision

Why do i want this? Well:

1. changing filament colour

2. Changing filament in the event of a jam or it runs out

3. Something on the bed you want to remove

4. You want to put something "inside" a print

Imhave played with pause on Repetier and its flawless.. I can pause.. Move the head out from the way and then hit resume with no ill effects... I just wish you could do this in CURA.

I did ask whether we could get the old Pronterface UI back, even if it were unsupported but apparantly this isnt going to happen.

Posted · Wish List...

Understood.. I am actually using Repetier for this.. When i want to do a 2 colour print, i use a plugin and then "export" the GCODE and print from Repetier which i have to say has a lovely print engine (nice controls. Animated progress and pause).

But its a pain to do it this way and it seems such a shame that you cant do this inside CURA.

Posted · Wish List...

I agree, but we have to make choices. I'm hoping that someone can pick up our slack with the new plugin engine.

Posted · Wish List...

I'm hoping that someone can pick up our slack with the new plugin engine.

:?:

Number 1 can be found here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8574-cura-autoslicing-poll/?p=81528

Number 3 seems interesting. I'll have to look at it at some point

:???::

See the post daid made about pluggable unicorn. We removed the 'generic' GUI stuff from Cura and made a framework (now aptly dubbed pluggable unicorn) which supports plugins for almost everything (file loaders/savers, view rendering, input/output/ switchable engines/backend, etc). This makes the entire thing more like a game engine, with cura being just one of the games built on the pluggable unicorn engine.

Posted · Wish List...

Number 1 can be found here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8574-cura-autoslicing-poll/?p=81528

Number 3 seems interesting. I'll have to look at it at some point

I followed that thread with interest, but didn't like the idea of running "unsupported" features.. And since it was written for 14.07 and I am using 14.12, I wasn't sure it can be used.. And in truth, now that I have moved over to my more powerful PC, this isn't as big a problem as it was when I was using my under-spec'd laptop.. And in truth, I can't even remember what the problem was, or why I felt that "suspending" slicing would help.

But the layer view would be REALLY helpful.. I don't know about anyone else, but the CURA layer view has its uses and I like the fact that the layers fade away as you move up/down the model.. But for scrutinizing an individual layer its useless.

I doesn't seem impossible to me (what do I know?) to simply add a feature to see a single range of (or single) layer.

So fingers crossed you could do something...

Jon

Don't expect it any time soon, as we (read; the software engineers here) are almost fully committed to pluggable unicorn, engine stuff and some yet to be disclosed projects.

I do like the feature though. It would be quite easy to implement this with the new plugin structure.

Posted · Wish List...

Don't expect it any time soon, as we (read; the software engineers here) are almost fully committed to pluggable unicorn, engine stuff and some yet to be disclosed projects.

I do like the feature though. It would be quite easy to implement this with the new plugin structure.

No expectations on any times.. I realise the PU will address this, and the version I played with the other day already had it.. But on the off chance that this is an easy fix and someone has a few cycles to do it, I just live in hope that it will be added to CURA.

One thing which bothers me about PU, is that even when its ready, its going to take months, if not years before its fully stable.. So I can see people using it, but having the old CURA in the background to fall back on... Its just a shame that CURA Is lacking some really obvious features, which could be useful before, during and after PU (such as the layer view, Pause button, etc)

Since several versions there is the same bug without any fix - maybe it´s only me seing this as important, but for selection/management of print files it is relevant (at least for me).

creating a gcode, there are a few information in the header like

;Sliced at: Wed 10-12-2014 13:36:03

;Basic settings: Layer height: 0.1 Walls: 1.2 Fill: 100

;Print time: #P_TIME#

;Filament used: #F_AMNT#m #F_WGHT#g

;Filament cost: #F_COST#

Unfortunately the most interesting infos - estimated print time, estimated cost are not available any more as you can see above (no info, just variables).

This would make things easier if clients would like to get a part which is already sliced and like to know how long it takes and how much ic costs... :-)

Is this what you are looking for with single layer view?

single layer view

It will be pretty simple to do but can't do it now. I'll update to version 14.12 too.

Posted · Wish List...

Is this what you are looking for with single layer view?

It will be pretty simple to do but can't do it now. I'll update to version 14.12 too.

That would be AWESOME!.. Exactly what I want.

Posted · Wish List...

Thanks for that.. Works nicely!!

It this now a permanent feature? Will it be included (or still work) with future versions?

It will not be included in the future versions but you can probably include it yourself after that

Can someone of the "OMG I WANT MANUAL SLICING!!!!1!!one!1" people give the Cura test version a spin from:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

It contains a change on how the slicing is started, which should prevent slowdowns on large 3D models.

Hahaha that one was very funny Daid :D:D.

I'll check it out

Can someone of the "OMG I WANT MANUAL SLICING!!!!1!!one!1" people give the Cura test version a spin from:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

It contains a change on how the slicing is started, which should prevent slowdowns on large 3D models.

15.01-RC1 doesn't work properly on my Win8.1 machine. It seems to start slicing but the progress bar never grows. Instead, the progress bar disappears and the layer view is empty. A right click on the save button doesn't reveal the usual options (just delete and reload all objects), therefore I cannot provide a log...

edit: forget it, it's the model...it has the same effect in Cura 14.06.

edit: forget it, it's the model...it has the same effect in Cura 14.06.

Copy of the model in my email? :mrgreen:

I can if you really want but the model is really broken. It even shows red in the x-ray view.

I can if you really want but the model is really broken. It even shows red in the x-ray view.

"C:\Models\ProblemModels"

Yes, I want models like that ;-)