Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gixxer

Combining ninjaflex with pla on same print.

Hi everyone,

Had my UM2 for about a month now and love it! I've been experimenting with different filaments and after having difficulty feeding ninjaflex with the standard feeder switched to the one by iRoberti. This worked great from the off (however the latch would only last 2 to 3 days before failing when printed solid from PLA, Nylon 6 solved that though).

I realised that with the new feeder I could switch filament mid print to achieve multi coloured prints. I see this has been done before, but then wondered if I could mix flexible with pla filament. Couldn't find any reference to this being done before other than with dual extruder.

Turns out it works like a charm! Hats off to iRoberti for an excellent mod.

There's some pics in my gallery but not sure how to get them on my post.

I'm in the process of getting a feeder based on Roberts design machined out of aluminium at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes and I should have worked out how to get pics on here by then.

Edit: Thanks JonnyBischof, Pic added ( Posted from my mobile original so the my media didn't show up)

20141202 090432

20141202 090110

20141202 090049

Awesome!

This could actually be a reason for me to try dual extrusion at some point... You could print built-in rubber dampeners on an smartphone case and stuff like that :)

To add your gallery to your posts, just click on "My Media" (close to the "font" and "size" settings in the editor) and select which album or pictures of an album you want to insert.

Been printing rubber bungs for work all day yesterday and had a really bad headache all night! Got another full days printing ahead today.

There really needs to be a list generated for all the filament types along with there toxicity. This would allow us to identify which filaments require ventilation and which ones you can just leave a window open while printing.

Link to Material Safety Data Sheet for NinjaFlex - http://dzmlsvv5f118.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/MSDS-NinjaFlex.pdf?afe842

Here are some relevant extracts:

ACUTE TOXICITY:

IRRITATION/CORROSION: Not likely to result in irritation in solid form. Thermal decomposition may result in release of toxic airborne contaminates which can be irritating to eyes, skin and respiratory tract.

FIRST AID MEASURES:

INHALATION: Not likely to result in irritation in solid form. Thermal decomposition may result in release of toxic airborne contaminants. Remove exposed individual to fresh air and keep the person calm. Assist in breathing if necessary. Immediate medical attention required.

EXPOSURE CONTROLS / PERSONAL PROTECTION

VENTILATION: During fused deposition modeling operations, use with ventilation adequate to reduce levels of air contaminants below that which may cause personal injury or illness. Local exhaust ventilation that removes air contaminants from the breathing zone is preferred. General, mechanical, or dilution ventilation may be suitable.

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Wear a NIOSH-certified (or equivalent) organic vapor respirator as needed.

SKIN PROTECTION: Wear gloves when handling hot materials.

EYE/FACE PROTECTION: Wear splash goggles to protect from hot molten substance/product.

GENERAL: Wear protective clothing to prevent contact during hot melt conditions. When using, do not eat, drink or

smoke. After use wash hands with soap and water.

STABILITY AND REACTIVITY

HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen cyanide

THERMAL DECOMPOSITION: No decomposition if stored and handled as prescribed/indicated. Thermal decomposition above the indicated temperature is possible ( > 230 °C). Prolonged thermal loading can result in products of degradation being given off.

I really don't want to be a scaremonger here but I print this filament at 240 °C on my UM2! Organizing an extraction system as I type this!

As nallath points out there is no need to panic, but its well worth baring in mind the potential hazards associated with printing this and other filaments. We really do need to find out just how much of each type of fume is released in a "normal" printing scenario to asses the realistic dangers.

There really needs to be a list generated for all the filament types along with there toxicity. This would allow us to identify which filaments require ventilation and which ones you can just leave a window open while printing.

Agreed! A wiki would probably be the ideal place for such a list. Any ideas? (Where's the UM wiki? ;) )