UM2 XL ?

adam-filipowicz

I do wish that the UM2 would have a larger print bed. so it could do a 12"x 12" x 12" object

It doesnt seem like it would be very difficult to make that change. A few longer belts, Slides and Screws/Rods, plus the larger support structure of course.. but still, I wonder why the UM2 wasnt made larger then the original.

has anyone tried a DIY Ultimaker Original XL?

You have to decide on a size and in doing so you will invariably make some people disappointed. If it were made to be 12" someone would've wanted one at 13". Someone might want the height to be 5" taller etc etc.

A few longer belts, Slides and Screws/Rods, plus the larger support structure of course.. but still, I wonder why the UM2 wasnt made larger then the original.

Well, "few longer belts, Slides and Screws/Rods, plus the larger support structure of course" is probably half of the BOM and all the large components and it would really be a lot of work and money involved....

Plus a larger bed and a larger bed heater mean more power or longer start time

There are shipping issues too once you get over a certain size :)

Price goes way up :).

Some make such a printer:

Bigger

Clearly UM "inspired",

If you go bigger you run into all kinds of issues. With a bigger X/Y frame you need more thickness, and thus stiffer rods. Which adds more weight.

It's better to switch to an core-XY system for bigger printers.

Daid is right, the current size with components is a good balance, and making it bigger does cause quality issues,

I made my UM1 taller, and also ran into those issues.

I do think there will be more interest in bigger or wider printers in the future, as prices will get lower, but for now price and size is a delicate balance :)

But if you start with the UM1 kit, you really learn how the printer works and is put together, and with a few months of printer experience, you can easily make a bigger version in the size you want, as the principle is the same, you just have to make everything more sturdy.

One thing you also have to consider, is that with increase size, the print times increase a lot too, I have prints that take 3 or 4 days to complete, and while I can print very accurate, I tend to lower the quality setting, just the get a decent print in a decent amount of time.

And the heated bed is a problem. We're already pushing the current power supply to its limit. Bigger bed means more required power.

couldtn you just get a seperate power supply for the heated bed?