Turning combing off on bottom and top layers?

aviphysics

Posted · Turning combing off on bottom and top layers?

Well, we've had cases wherin the discussion took way more time then implementing it ourselfs. This is probably why Daid is a bit hesitant to discuss things.

In this specific case; having non configurable code is simply not the right way to do it. Yes, it fixes the problem right now, but gives us a lot more headaces in the future.

It would be easy to add a commit to the pull request adding a way to configure it, if it weren't already closed. I would just push the changes to my branch and it would show up in the pull request. But even then I suspect this isn't the real issue.

It seems to be coming across as UM just doesn't care to have outsiders contributing code. Daid seems to have a very specific version of what he wants Cura to be, so maybe it just is what it is. Of course, I still appreciate his work and that UM has kept Cura open source.

I love having contributed code. But not if that means that the net gain is negative (either short term or long term). We do need to formalize our coding standard and review process of pull requests.

The current architecture isnt made with easy contribution in mind, as it started out as a side project thinking 'Well, how hard can it be really'. Projects that evolve like that tend to be... messy. But refactoring it just takes so freaking much time.

It seems to be coming across as UM just doesn't care to have outsiders contributing code. Daid seems to have a very specific version of what he wants Cura to be, so maybe it just is what it is. Of course, I still appreciate his work and that UM has kept Cura open source.

I've been clear on this a few times already. I'm a dictator. Some things I will like. Some things I won't like.

I've actually accepted quite a few patches already.

Also:

aX8lcfn.png

Yes, you can reopen it, but I can not.

How do we know what you like and don't like if you don't have time to discuss things? My comment from 2 days ago is still unanswered on the pull request. Why should we spend our time making patches only to offer them up to the "gods" and hope that it appeases them? My time is much more valuable than that.

Of course you have every right to do what you want with your project. I just want to make this clear so others don't waste their time. In fairness to other developers you might want to put a comment on your GitHub page to the effect "I may or may not like your pull request, so submit them at your own risk." :mrgreen:

Usually its pretty easy to talk about the changes in mind before doing them if the goal is to push them in the main branch.

Otherwise you do something for yourself and then propose it.

I have plenty of things I want to look into and while talking about it first, in some cases, Daid told me in which version it use to exist.

"I may or may not like your pull request, so submit them at your own risk." :mrgreen:

That is an idea I like.

I would suggest someone drumming up a community driven fork, but I don't get the impression that enough people want to devote enough hours to make it successful.

Yes, you can reopen it, but I can not.

The image was from an closed pull request I had on another 3th party project. So, the owner of a pull request should be able to re-open it.

How do we know what you like and don't like if you don't have time to discuss things? My comment from 2 days ago is still unanswered on the pull request. Why should we spend our time making patches only to offer them up to the "gods" and hope that it appeases them? My time is much more valuable than that.

Welcome to OpenSource development. Try linux kernel development, where your patches get rejected for even the slightest mistake on style or form.

Now. Yes. I'm rude, aggressive, and plain annoying as well. I won't accept your patch just because "you put a lot of effort in it". The patch has to provide the proper added value, it has to fit in the vision I have for Cura, and it should not make the code even more fubar.

pm_dude actually send me a PM, asked me what he could work on, and he had lots of suggestions himself. I commented on those suggestions which made it a lot easier for him to know where he could put his effort. And *poof* suddenly we'll have a "single layer view" button in the next version.

Final:

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY CURA GOD! (Me)

Maybe I should write a bible and get followers?

Welcome to OpenSource development. Try linux kernel development, where your patches get rejected for even the slightest mistake on style or form.

Bad example, and you are missing the point. It's not the rejection, it's the unwillingness to discuss. I have contributed to the Linux kernel. The difference is that they are more than willing to discuss things (maybe even too much) and usually suggest an alternative to the things they don't like.

No need to beat this horse any more. But maybe in the future you will be more open to discussing pull requests and not close them immediately. Or maybe not, it's up to you.

No need to beat this horse any more. But maybe in the future you will be more open to discussing pull requests and not close them immediately. Or maybe not, it's up to you.

Closing and discussion are 2 different things. You think that a close from my side means that there is no discussion possible. That's not the case at all. Closing is an administrative task, it say, "I'm not merging it in this state"

If a pull request is closed by a maintainer, the contributor cannot reopen it. I think this is leading to some confusion here when you keep saying I can reopen it. The option you show must exist because the request was closed by the contributor and not the maintainer.

So, if I make this "turn combing off for skin" a configurable option, would you reopen the pull request? Or would I be wasting my time? There is still no reply on the pull request comment page.

So, if I make this "turn combing off for skin" a configurable option, would you reopen the pull request? Or would I be wasting my time? There is still no reply on the pull request comment page.

Most likely yes.

(Note, sometimes I miss updates on github due to internet woes)

Most likely yes.

(Note, sometimes I miss updates on github due to internet woes)

Yes you will reopen it (and contribute to discussion/possibly approve) or yes I am wasting my time? :mrgreen:

Yes you will reopen it (and contribute to discussion/possibly approve) or yes I am wasting my time? :mrgreen:

Yes, i will reopen it.

I pushed the changes to my branch.

Thanks @Daid for accepting the pull request. The corresponding one for Cura is here:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/pull/1087