Design Spark Mechanical v2

Posted · Design Spark Mechanical v2

There's an update available for DSM, version 2:

http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical

Just had a quick first look and don't see functional difference ... tested the trick to import & unlock STEP files, this still works;

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2772-spaceclaim/?p=53816

Downloaded and installed it yesterday, i had a issue with the license (i had to enter an email in a grayed form control).

The trick is to install the PCB software and do the registration through there, then it works.

I didn't spot big difference either

New improvements

Simplified interface: Easier to use and easier to learn with a streamlined experience and tool tips

In-software help: No more navigating away from the software to search for tutorials. Plus, we've added new Getting Started guidance

Example designs: Explore the possibilities of DesignSpark Mechanical with a new list of example designs

New 3D catalogue: Choose from over 100,000,000 free-to-use 3D component models for your designs

Enhanced part number handling: Direct connection to the RS catalogue and improved Bill Of Materials functionality, including easier editing

I find it rather stable, very little issues, if I compare to f.e. 123D that was a total nightmare. ...

Sometimes it's not really doing wat it's supposed to, f.e. it will not cut, but mostly I can trick it when moving a face a little and try again..

overall I like it a lot ..

Just discovered the files are not backwards compatible, DSMv2 files can't be opened in DSM1

Seems pretty light in term of update. I would have liked a real text support.

You can use the annotations to create text geometry but its hell to use.

I usually use 3d text from sketchup. Super easy. Save as sketchup 8 and import in dsm. The only thing i use sketchup for.

Is it me or you cannot choose the Font in the annotations anymore with DSM 2.0... :(