how can i test the heated bed on UM2

mark-hale

Posted · how can i test the heated bed on UM2

Hi

I thought that I had a heated bed failure and this still might be the case

I have run through the various threads on here in terms if checking the connections both at the bed and main board underneath

I even went as far as to check the solder joints - again all looks good

Looking at the cable that goes to the bed, should I be getting a voltage out on the thick brown and blue wires. I am not seeing anything either at bed or board end

Hi

Are you absolutely sure that the heating bed not, or not correctly work?

Because no error message is displayed?

Use with the machine powered ON the click wheel and then select:

"MAINTENANCE"> "ADVANCED"> "Heatup build plate".

Now turn the Click Wheel so long to the right until maybe 55 degrees as "nominal value" is displayed, wait now until even the "actual value" has been reached.

Now, if you touch the center of the build plate with the fingertip, and it is a bit painful but bearable after a few seconds, then everything should be fine.

The heated platform can now also driven up and down to check a possible loose connection of the cable loom. Use again the "Advanced" menu. Watch after a few movements, if the selected temperature remains stable.

At the end, the selected temperature setting must be manually set to Zero.

Markus

Hi Mnis

I was looking for a more detailed approach in terms of checking the connectors as wondered if that was the issue rather than the Bed.

Sadly have discovered what the problem is. Seems that the connector terminal on the main board is faulty and as you can see, it looks like its been slowly burning away. Not something I was hoping to find but seems this maybe the cause of my heated bed failure

IMG 20141218 195821

I see that now for the second time. I remember at least one other UM2 user with the same problem. As a precaution, should any UM2 users, check these connections.

When I read the first message on this very specific issue, I immediately checked the connections to my UM2 board. I was lucky, everything was okay. Nevertheless, I have renewed the connections and additionally used end sleeves.

I had something simular also here is a pic of mine.. you don't get any error show up the bed just does not heat up if i remmber correctly

yes that's the one. Although mine decided to pack up midway through am 11 hour or so print.

Still I have managed to clean up the connector and re insert the wire. It does seem secure at the moment and the bed is heating up so fingers crossed.

In post #5 above in Coreys photo there is a solder pad under each of the screw connectors - on the "bottom" side of the board in this photo. You could just solder the wire directly to that pad. If you aren't good with soldering, I'm sure you have a neighbor with the right experience and equipment.

The overheating of the connector can happen if the connector screw isn't tightened fully, increasing the resistance at that point, so that effectively the connector become the heating element, in place of the thing at the other end of the wire.

Printers produced more recently have a spring fit connector there, rather than a screw terminal. This helps to ensure that there is a tight connection at all times.

Part of the issue is that the wires may have solder on the ends; you should cut that off, and expose fresh wire to insert into the connector, and then screw it down tightly.

I cut off the ends and stripped the wire, was able to get the screw locked although its movement is somewhat limited due to what looks like the green plastic having melted a little. Will see what this is like after a few prints, but at least I know what to look for now. Thanks everyone for the advice.

just wondering if there is a way to alter the title of this post or add some more tags to it. Just in case anyone else has a similar problem and is searching. Assume only site admins can do this?

I can modify the title. What do you think it should say?

I can modify the title. What do you think it should say?

sorry missed this one, just wondered if rather than how to test the heated Bed, something like Heated bed failure, check the connections for overheating?. Or maybe just add more tags if that's possible, to help searches.

Thanks

I believe I am having the same issue as in here, but I am not sure how to open it to check the wires. Is there a proper/official to open and check the wires?

There's only 2 screws holding the bottom plate underneath the UM2. The screw heads are under the bed. You can lift the bed up when power is off by just forcing it up - lift form the back. About 10 to 20 pounds force.

But usually connection problems occur where the cable meets the heated bed. Either where the screws tighten down the wires or where the connector solders to the heated bed.