Heated bed kit won't stop at 70, keeps heating during print

macua85

Posted · Heated bed kit won't stop at 70, keeps heating during print

My ultimaker 1 with the HBK just started having this same problem today.

The bed starts heating up even if you haven't started a print. :(

And it just keeps heating up, even with bed temperature set to 0.

Does anyone have a fix for this yet??

Unless you can source and solder SMD components, I think the only fix is a new HBK control board. I'd get in touch with support. Out of interest, how long as this been in service?

• 1 month later...

This has happened to me as well. I had the HBK installed for only 1 week and it has failed into an always on state. At least it doesn't get hotter than about 102C. Unfortunately in my case, Ultimaker has started some contract with a company here in Japan since the time I bought my original Ultimaker and now getting support or replacement parts has become a pain in the butt.

I'm becoming more and more upset with Ultimaker and their support.

Posted (edited) · Heated bed kit won't stop at 70, keeps heating during print

I was just looking for a replacement chip. I'm pretty sure this is the correct chip. IRF8736

Here's a link to a good place to buy them on Aliexpress. I'm not connected to this company, they just have the best delivery times and price per piece. I bought 10 chips for slightly over $7.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IC-IRF8736-F8736-IR-SOP-18-A-30-V-0-0048-ohm-N-CHANNEL-Si-POWER/1183938546.html

Oh, and in response to Macua85, there are only 4 pins on each side. 3 on one side all connect to the same circuit, and all 4 on the other side connect to the same circuit, though one different from the first 3. Should be a very easy solder job. You won't need much skill to get it done.

Edited by Guest

The same thing has happened to me on the CR-10. Like the same exact thing. Help us!

It's almost certainly the mosfet chip that turns the heater on and off - it's stuck on and needs to be replaced.

Hi there, newbie here.

I have the same problem with my recently bought UMO+ . Didn't touch the electronics during the build (rubber gloves) , checked all connections twice,

upgraded the firmware...

Rubber gloves are not a good idea.  They let static sparks right through but don't let you dissipate static charge from your body to ground.  Much better would be to have on hand touching a ground the entire time.  Or just run a humidifier a few feet away.  Or get a static strap.  But rubber gloves won't help and can only hurt.

But it's probably not static damage unless you remember touching electronics and feeling a big spark at that moment.

So you are saying the temperature reading is correct but it never stops heating up, right?  It's probably the mosfet.  Same problem as previous person.  

Hmm. I ment those surgical-like SureTouch things, but i suppose they're also a bad idea.

I built the thing in the attic, which is all wood and nothing to ground to. Managed to never touch the electronics though and no sparks were felt. :)

Is this mosfet on the heater board underneath the bed or on the main board?

I'll probably have to return only the defective part to the reseller as it is a DIY kit.

Okay looking again at this...

That top green connector with the red/black wires - that goes off to the board they shipped in the HBK.  First measure those two signals - or you can just measure the voltage across the two screws with a volt meter.  It should change when you turn on the heated bed and change back when you set heated bed back to 0V (don't power up your printer more than 20 seconds every 3 minutes without the bottom cover and fan because you can break another part on that bottom board if it gets too hot and without the fan it will get too hot).

If that is working then the problem is with that circuit board that the red and black wires go to (also make sure they are connected to that circuit board!).  It's possible the red or black wire is not inserted properly and is loose.  So tug on those two wires a bit to make sure they are in there well.

hbk.png

21 hours ago, gr5 said:

So you are saying the temperature reading is correct but it never stops heating up, right?

You never answered my question.  I don't want you replacing something that isn't broken.

Posted (edited) · Heated bed kit won't stop at 70, keeps heating during print
    15 minutes ago, gr5 said:

You never answered my question.  I don't want you replacing something that isn't broken.

Let me put it this way: On the Ulticontroller I see the actual temperature rise way above the target temperature.

Edited by Alex+

Okay.  Yeah.  Check those wires.