Cura 14.12. Upgrade or not?

zews

Posted · Cura 14.12. Upgrade or not?

About a month ago I had a lot of trouble with creating a good print that seemed to be related to a poorly performing version of Cura. It was version 14.09.

After I had posted about this Robert uploaded gcode for my model that he had created with Cura 14.07. When I then downgraded to 14.07 I was able the create the same gcode and print my model successfully. I am now still using version 14.07

What are people's experiences with version 14.12? Are the issues with 14.09 fixed or should I stick with 14.07?

Were there no version 14.10 and 14.11?

I started with v14.09 so nothing to compare it with, upgraded to v14.12 and no obvious issues! Think the led lights behave slightly differently but printing seems fine, Also I think the default temps have been modified a bit too, but all good!

I'm very happy with the 14.12.1 and, finally, the temperature is really stable ... +/- 1° (... with 14.09 I had fluctuations of +/- 10°).

I read that few other people have had problems ... but I think due the heaterblock and the heater cartridge. You can find some discussions in "Cura" section on the forum ;)

Guglielmo

if I read correctly these isues where in 14.12 and fixed in 14.12.1 (just upgrade from 14.07 to 14.12.1 just started a print no issues so far,

very happy with this new firmware feature; http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5228-feature-request-allow-to-uploadrename-material-profiles/?p=84343

Were there no version 14.10 and 14.11?

Because the version names are [year].[month], and there where no official releases in those months, only test releases to make very sure the problems of 14.09 where gone.

The simplicity just hit me like a brick

Same here

Does the new Cura version also include a firmware update. If so, will the printer automatically recognize it, when I connect it via USB?

During the initial start of a new Cura version, or at the latest by selecting a machine, a firmware update is offered regularly, and there is plenty of time to connect the printer. It can also, the displayed "Update message" to be closed, then there is still the possibility to manually perform a firmware installation.

I'm not sure if an installed 3D printer driver, after recognizing the printer displays a message, or Cura then activated and the software then provides a firmware update, I can not say with certainty.

Markus

When I first opened version 14.12.1, as usual I got the popup screen "Welcome to the new version!", with the notice that "This dialog is only shown once". I saved the dialog window to my desktop for later reading, so I now saw that indeed there is a firmware update. There is a button on the bottom that says "Install now" for new firmware install.

Since my printer is too far away from my computer to easily connect to the printer with the USB cable is did not click the button to install the new firmware.

So the question still is, will the printer automatically detect the new firmware when I connect it to the computer via USB?

I think NO, it is rather the other way around:

Because the open Cura application will detect the printer connected via USB, assuming the driver included in the software package has been installed correctly.

Properly there is unfortunately no second update-message appear.

But anyway, the simplest solution would be:

BE SURE whether under the CURA-MENU ITEM: "MACHINE" Your favorite machine "Ultimaker 2" is the default. Then When the printer is connected via USB, choose whenever you want it, right in CURA: "MACHINE > INSTALL STANDARD MARLIN FIRMWARE" and follow the instructions on the screen.

Markus

In my version of Cura the choices are:

Menu>Machine>Install default firmware or ~>Machine>Install custom firmware

I will install the default.

;) YESSS...

At the UM2 machine under "MAINTENANCE> ADVANCED> Version" You should then be able to see a new version number. This version number is (when an update succeeds) normally identical to the Cura version currently installed on your PC. ;)