IO FPV: 3D printed hexa racer open project

handyman

Posted · IO FPV: 3D printed hexa racer open project

Hello,

This is a printable hexacopter project, free to download from thingiverse or youmagine, for fast forward flight and acro on FPV.

It has motors tilted forward 10º, a very rigid frame with good air flow.

We design it to keep the battery inside the frame so it can be flown with the cover to be more aerodynamic

Information about set up is at the end of the video.

Hope you like it and give it a try, ENJOY!!

You can grab it at thingiverse and Youmagine here:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/io-fpv

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:607681

https://vimeo.com/115294510

io copia.JPG

io.jpg

i2o.jpg

6o.jpg

5o.jpg

Right now I'm into RC model boats but I'm ogling at drones mostly for aerial photography.

But that thing looks sweet ! And the video really gives a "bird-like feel".

Good job, very tempting !

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job handyman... I want one :)

I just tested this for a colleague but unfortuantely the "press fit" method on PLA body and arms is not working.

The PLA will crack.

So i think this is only working with ABS or XT.

For complete PLA you need to print the arms a little smaller or rasp something out.

I just tested this for a colleague but unfortuantely the "press fit" method on PLA body and arms is not working.

The PLA will crack.

So i think this is only working with ABS or XT.

For complete PLA you need to print the arms a little smaller or rasp something out.

No you don't have to.

I printed mine ( several prototypes) on PLA innofill which is the same I guess as ultimaker filament.

You have to press fit the arms inside de base with a rubber hammer, it takes a while but they fit well.

I did used colorful xt but it work out the same.

That is pretty sweet. What is the approximate total cost to build it?

The cost depend very much on the components, motors can be cheap or expensive, I use cobras 2204-2300 Kv, 18 Euros each x 6, esc I used were expensive (18 euros each) but can be 10 and work well ( 12 amp blue series from hobby king), al fpv gear included glasses which you can use in other projects are about 500 euros.

Why are the arms tilted? I imagine it has something to do with directional speed advantages, but just tiling the whole structure should do the same thing.

Or does it reduce the drag cross section enough to make a difference, as the engines are covering each other more from the perspective of the airflow?

I also printed it with PLA from igo3d. On the first test the PLA was cracking. So i scaled up the holes with a rasp.

Did you mean in the description, that you need to print the Base 105% or the top cover? Because i printed the top cover 105 %, but this was totally oversized. So i printed it in 101%, perfect fit :cool:

Attached some pics, really luminous colors :mrgreen:

gallery_20802_1735_813849.jpg

gallery_20802_1735_490882.jpg

gallery_20802_1735_222686.jpg

No you don't have to.

I printed mine ( several prototypes) on PLA innofill which is the same I guess as ultimaker filament.

You have to press fit the arms inside de base with a rubber hammer, it takes a while but they fit well.

I did used colorful xt but it work out the same.

I also printed it with PLA from igo3d. On the first test the PLA was cracking. So i scaled up the holes with a rasp.

Did you mean in the description, that you need to print the Base 105% or the top cover? Because i printed the top cover 105 %, but this was totally oversized. So i printed it in 101%, perfect fit :cool:

Attached some pics, really luminous colors :mrgreen:

Very good print!! and nice colors!

Yes, I scale the top cover a little for better fit, I did print the mobius one, I haven't tested the go pro one.

the mobius is design to put the mobius camera with some kind of vibration insulation, you can find several in thingiverse or youmagine. this is the one easier http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:385286

I didnt have problems with the arms, You need to press fit them on the base, to make the arms strong, a slow and high quality print is needed. 0,1mm 50 mm/s infill 100%

hope this helps, post videos if you fly it!!