Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
saliery

Led failure

This is entirely normal for LEDs that have been on for long periods of time, and is the number 1 reason airports dont use them for runway lights.

What you are most likely seeing is LED Color Shift. The only thing that is a bit odd is your printer is pretty new. How many hours does it have on it?

This should help explain if you would like to read a bit more into it: http://www.ies.org/lda/HotTopics/LED/20.cfm

This is entirely normal for LEDs that have been on for long periods of time, and is the number 1 reason airports dont use them for runway lights.

What you are most likely seeing is LED Color Shift. The only thing that is a bit odd is your printer is pretty new. How many hours does it have on it?

This should help explain if you would like to read a bit more into it: http://www.ies.org/lda/HotTopics/LED/20.cfm

LED have more than 10000 hrs work time ...

LED have more than 10000 hrs work time ...

Work time is not what we are talking about. They might "Work" but they color shift over time and that time is much shorter than the life span of the LED. Its a very well known issue with LEDs.

Yes, my newer UM2 looks just ike the one on the right

Led Dim 2

and @ tottenham12712 (damn what a user name :) ) , I understand the color shift over time... I'm talking about right out of the box!

The newer UM2 (at least the newer one I have) has a completely differnt LED strip. The old LED strip had the diodes exposed, the new strips have the LED's encase in a resin shield.

Same here.

I just hate those new LED lights shipped with new UM2's

I would like to replace them with old ones which are proper white in colour and very bright !

IMG 0469

Old one on the left hand side

and @ tottenham12712 (damn what a user name :) ) , I understand the color shift over time... I'm talking about right out of the box!

The newer UM2 (at least the newer one I have) has a completely differnt LED strip. The old LED strip had the diodes exposed, the new strips have the LED's encase in a resin shield.

:p

Totally different issue if its right out of the box. Here is my guess, they were having stocking issues for awhile. Its possible they ran out of a particular brand or "white" color LED and had to just another to keep them shipping. That would be my guess.

Hello everyone I am in trouble, I am using the UM3 extended I worked with this well in the last 3 months but today a problem occurred and one of the led strips stopped working, someone can help me thank you very much

5a33401ee2330_IMG_29421.thumb.JPG.7346d1846d9ad419d76dfdc4ab5b53b3.JPG

5a33401ee2330_IMG_29421.thumb.JPG.7346d1846d9ad419d76dfdc4ab5b53b3.JPG

Hi guys,

I have an UM2 and its LEDs haven't been turning on for a while now. I finally took them off and would like some help if possible. I have checked the board and when it's on the pins for the LEDs are giving 24V. I pulled up its report and this is the info it gave me:

Machine on for: 2588:20

Printing: 2174:48

Mat: 3854m

What do the first two mean? Is the format hours:minutes?

Attached are some pictures of the LEDs, One of the wires leading from one strip to another has its insulation stripped off some how. I'm not sure if this is the issue because I checked the strips continuity and all segments are fine. I did this by scraping the glue off of the back side of the strips where there are visible electrical contacts. I checked with a multimeter.

Even where the LED's contacts are really brown (in one picture) there still is a working connection there.

As for the brownish aspect of the LEDs, I think this might be a sign that they have gone bad. Does anyone know what this might be?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

Edited by leonardo-aguiar

The lamps should not have that brown spot in the middle of the yellow phosphor.

White LEDs are actually blue LED chips, with a layer of phosphor on top of them. This phosphor converts some of the high-energy blue, violet and UV-light into lower energy green, yellow and red light. This is balanced so that we percieve cool white or warm white, depending on the composition.

But the high energy of the blue chip may burn into the phosphor and destroy it over time. Just like UV-light typically destroys plastics and paints. This is why some "white" LED lamps turn greenish after some time, since more blue shines through. You see this in LED street lamps and pocket lamps.

I am not sure, but maybe this has also happened here? Maybe up to the point where the phosphor has totally degraded into some sort of coal?