What to expect from PLA

bigmouse

Posted · What to expect from PLA

After quite a bit of experimenting, I'm getting very good, detailed prints from PLA.

Time to try ABS!

How good (or bad) detail should I be expecting, or aiming for?

So far have tried various temperatures, 260/90 at start lowering to 240/90

ABS juice works well on the table, Detail is nowhere near the detail I was getting with PLA! Am I chasing the impossible, or should I be seeing better results?

Pic shows:all items 0.15 layer height, 50mm/s

ABS= ultimaker Yellow, ragged finish!

Blue & red ultimaker PLA, really good finish, the red base is deliberately grooved!

PLA ABS comparison

Use the gallery function for uploading pictures:

--> Your username in the upper right corner --> My Gallery

I don't like printing ABS. It stinks, it's difficult to print with and the results are mediocre because ABS warps much more than most other 3D-printing plastics.

I would have to politely disagree with Jonny. I have MUCH more success printing with ABS vs. PLA. It's just more forgiving, easier to post process, prints faster and thicker, and the parts are generally better for what I do (prototyping).

ABS does shrink, but a good design (model) will compensate for shrinkage.

I can say this, when I set a long ABS print up, I just print and forget. When I'm printing with PLA, I tend to check in on the print every hour or so.

Don't get me wrong, some of the most detailed prints I've produced so far have been with PLA, but for virtually every other category, ABS is a go-to material for me.

Well Solid you should look at PLA-HT then.... practicaly combines the good of PLA with the good of ABS.... with only one downside.... printbed adhesion.... but i am sure i will have the solution in the next week or so. Atleast i hope so..... if i am able to overcome this problem this is a practically flawless material.

@TE

you should maybe take a look at the so called Smart ABS... never had that material but it is supposed to have a smaller shrinkage which would hopefully enable you to allow 100% fanspeed without letting the Print crack.

What I like about ABS is that it's supposed to be more stable in an outside environment, also for prototyping I think from my experience with it so far, prefer its machining qualities, Think this is important where a complicated shape can be printed, followed by a minimum of machining on critical surfaces and holes. Kind of like prototyping with watercut parts!

Just hoped for a better finish than can be seen in picture above!

You just have some sort of setting wrong... the ABS prints should come out near-identical, on simple shapes like that, to PLA

I did some more testing with PLA ABS, threading and machining!

My results:

(1) PLA and ABS Will machine very well, , only difficulty with ABS is that it's slippery and can easily slip in the chuck.

(2) PLA and ABS will Thread internally and externally successfully, suggest slow tapping with frequent backing off and clearing threads! PLA does not distort in the chuck (at moderate pressures) means that threading can be fairly accurate! M8 for instance, using a 6.85mm tapping drill will equal a 70% thread engagement, whereas ABS (shown in pic) will yeald/deform during threading, returning slightly afterwards, so in the example shown 6.9mm tapping drill = 65% tread engagement gave a fit closer to 70~75%. Obviously the tighter the chuck, the more distortion (which will return to near normal after releasing the chuck) will result in a tighter thread.

My parts were also machined to clean them up, way over the top really...

after machining

I've distorted threads while tapping in PLA simply from the heat that the tap creates, deforming the PLA. I find it helpful to tap under running water (provided I can hand tap them).