Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

SandervG

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

My idea is to make some tools and some furniture.

Like a hammer, a screwdriver, a screw, a saw, a cutter, a table, a sofa and a pillow.

Still WIP some things might be changed.

here is a fast sketch

Of course these will be full printable 3D-Models in the end.

is it possible to submit more than one idea?

Good idea, but the visuals are like how studiospass would provide them. Can you get a bit more specific on the style, how they would look like?

QBKXksx.jpg?1

This a desgin I have been working with for a little bit. Figured I would show this to get some feedback. I created this drawing/ future 3d model to go on the software page. SInce these prints are supposed to be more narrative than just "there", here is my view on my artwork: Software needs be to rigidly defined and can not contain bugs or discrepancies, or else the software will not function properly. The rigidnes and solid structure of the cube embodies the idea of straightforward ness and ease of use like Cura, but the cube is still visually complex, just like Cura on expert mode. The divison of the main cube into several parts not only makes the model more complex, but also visually organizes the cube making it more asethtically pleasing.

Love the idea, we are looking to have all pages in a somewhat similar style. How would you do that, and be narrative at the same time?

SpaceSketch 01

Here is where I am at right now with my submission. I thought it would be fun to explore the space theme that StudioSpass included in their pdf document.

The elements in this image are still in the early sketchy/ idea phase (lot's more detail and story elements to come). I wanted to get as much down as quickly as possible in my 3d software. I still need to include the other elements (U.F.O., meteor, satellite,and planet) in the little narrative...still working on those.

My goal is to tell a story that juxtaposes old technology with new technology, rapid prototyping with other slower methods (that's why the aliens are slugs right now). Words that I'm trying to keep in mind while designing are Fun, Whimsical, and Kid Friendly.

The idea is that the astronaut is exploring new worlds. A pretty common theme, but I think appropriate for the 3d printing community. We are all "exploring" and discovering new ways to create with this relatively new technology (3d printing).

While I was sculpting these little character, I thought it would be so cool if we could make a little stop motion animation with them at some point in the future!

I would love to get everyone's feedback! Thanks!

@SandervG While the "software cube" would be independant on the software page,I was thinking of also having the "software cube" inside of the rocket ship from the studiospass concept art.(I am working on my own version of the rocket) It would be visible through a window. It would stmbolicly tell the story of how software powers the hardware.

How much emphasis does ultimaker want to put on the narrative portion of this? The reason I ask, is because you can only convey so much narrative in a printed art work

@3DofTom

Awesome work! It looks great. I look forward to seeing more.

*Symbolicly

How do I edit posts?

Here is where I am at right now with my submission. I thought it would be fun to explore the space theme that StudioSpass included in their pdf document.

The elements in this image are still in the early sketchy/ idea phase (lot's more detail and story elements to come). I wanted to get as much down as quickly as possible in my 3d software. I still need to include the other elements (U.F.O., meteor, satellite,and planet) in the little narrative...still working on those.

My goal is to tell a story that juxtaposes old technology with new technology, rapid prototyping with other slower methods (that's why the aliens are slugs right now). Words that I'm trying to keep in mind while designing are Fun, Whimsical, and Kid Friendly.

The idea is that the astronaut is exploring new worlds. A pretty common theme, but I think appropriate for the 3d printing community. We are all "exploring" and discovering new ways to create with this relatively new technology (3d printing).

While I was sculpting these little character, I thought it would be so cool if we could make a little stop motion animation with them at some point in the future!

I would love to get everyone's feedback! Thanks!

That already looks great, which “page” are these models intended for, the “Products Page “ like StudioSpass did?

Do you think you can keep up with that pace to finish the other 7 pages in the same quality but with different models / themes in only 3 day?

I wanted to enter too, but i'm not sure if it's already to late to enter, with only 3 days left?

Are you asking us ONLY the exact objects you put in the sketches page?

nope. they are suggestions. It is something we think would be good, but feel free to use your own creativity!

That already looks great, which “page” are these models intended for, the “Products Page “ like StudioSpass did?

Do you think you can keep up with that pace to finish the other 7 pages in the same quality but with different models / themes in only 3 day?

I wanted to enter too, but i'm not sure if it's already to late to enter, with only 3 days left?

that is for you to decide. If you can convince us with your expertise with only 3 out of 7 drawings you might get a long way. Obviously, 7 out of 7 would always be better because there is less room to guess.

Ok, so I'm still a little shaky on what exactly you're asking for. Please excuse the redundancy of any questions that i may be asking, but I just can't quite seem to get a handle on what exactly you are asking.

Are we required to used the themes from the sketches you provided?

If so, Are we allowed to pick only one of the themes (A stick for mounting filament vs Space/asteroids/satellites/rocket ships)? Or are we required to use every theme provided by the sketches, and then construct a narrative using each sketch once? Does each of the 8 sketches need to carry its own narrative, or will the narrative be stretched between all 8 of the sketches?

if not, are we to created our own narrative, only using the sketches as an example of what you're looking for in their one? can these be themed how we want? I had an idea for a narrative surrounding growth, possibilities, and evolution, would that be an acceptable theme/narrative focus?

Again, I apologize for anything that may have already been answered, but please excuse my confusion?

robots beetles and company name :mrgreen:

This is the most confusing contest I have ever come across,

I had some ideas, but after reading several times, I (and many others) still am not clear what I am supposed to do,

and I just don't want to spend hours designing something witch might be all wrong :???:

I give up :-|

@3DofTom

Awesome work! It looks great. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks ggalisky! More to come soon :)

Thanks Sebastian! I am planning on doing as much as I can within the next couple days, but I will include a link to my portfolio as well, to support my submissions here on the forum.

From how I understand the first phase requirements, Ultimaker is looking for "sketches" of what we intend to do in the second phase of the competition.

I intend to put in a lot more detail and character in the models the second phase if I make it that far.

SpaceSketch 02

Update on my sketch.

This is the most confusing contest I have ever come across,

I had some ideas, but after reading several times, I (and many others) still am not clear what I am supposed to do,

and I just don't want to spend hours designing something witch might be all wrong :???:

I give up :-|

It really is not that complicated. We need 8 hero images of prints. We have made suggestions of what could be on them.

We want to work with the community to make them.

If you want to enroll, show some design sketches that illustrate what the final result would look like.

Since we want you to use your time efficiently, we do not expect fully detailed images / models in the first phase, because a proper 3D model may take some hours.

Ok, so I'm still a little shaky on what exactly you're asking for. Please excuse the redundancy of any questions that i may be asking, but I just can't quite seem to get a handle on what exactly you are asking.

Are we required to used the themes from the sketches you provided?

If you read through all the replies you see that I have replied several times that they are mere suggestions.

You may use them, you may also use your own creativity.

If so, Are we allowed to pick only one of the themes (A stick for mounting filament vs Space/asteroids/satellites/rocket ships)? Or are we required to use every theme provided by the sketches, and then construct a narrative using each sketch once? Does each of the 8 sketches need to carry its own narrative, or will the narrative be stretched between all 8 of the sketches?

All would be better, because it is more clear to us what you have in mind.

They should all have a similar style, but can tell a different story.

if not, are we to created our own narrative, only using the sketches as an example of what you're looking for in their one? can these be themed how we want? I had an idea for a narrative surrounding growth, possibilities, and evolution, would that be an acceptable theme/narrative focus?

Looking forward to see your ideas!

Again, I apologize for anything that may have already been answered, but please excuse my confusion?

E4sPA8V.jpg

GZPDeFr.jpg

jYDtja4.jpg

hsEhynS.jpg

Here are some of my space themed sketches, specifically the rocket, satellite, UFO, and asteroid. Tell me what you think!

@3DofTom

Wow… Awesome models! Just checked out your blog, how long have you been doing this?

Here are some of my space themed sketches, specifically the rocket, satellite, UFO, and asteroid. Tell me what you think!

@3DofTom

Wow… Awesome models! Just checked out your blog, how long have you been doing this?

Thanks ggalisky! I've been a creating models for 3d printing for the past several years now, I have been modeling and animating for about 7 years. I can't show a lot of my professional work, but thanks for checking out what I do have on my blog!

I like how you have the alien elements ( the meteor and the UFO) faceted, and the man made elements ( the rocket and satellite) look more machined. It helps give some contrast between the two.

OcKIsg9.jpg

Here is a 3D model of the software cube. If you look closely in the center of the rocket I sketched out, you can see this same object.

SpaceSketch 03

SpaceSketch_03.png

I think this might be the final image that I submit for the space theme, but not sure yet.... Looks like the little conflict between the Astronaut and the Space Slugs turned out to be a big misunderstanding... lol

I'll see if I have time to work on any of the other themes between today and the 14th.

@ SandervG: Do you want us to submit our final images using a special format or resolution? How would you like us to include our additional portfolio work for consideration? Thanks for your feedback!

I think there is too little time. I read the announcement too later to partecipate. For me, you should increase the time available. I do not think that would otherwise come so many projects. The announcement was unclear ...

I think this might be the final image that I submit for the space theme, but not sure yet.... Looks like the little conflict between the Astronaut and the Space Slugs turned out to be a big misunderstanding... lol

I'll see if I have time to work on any of the other themes between today and the 14th.

@ SandervG: Do you want us to submit our final images using a special format or resolution? How would you like us to include our additional portfolio work for consideration? Thanks for your feedback!

Your project seems to be a bit too detailed to be printed in 3D. Probably the details will be lost and the surfaces appear as ruined ...

Your project seems to be a bit too detailed to be printed in 3D. Probably the details will be lost and the surfaces appear as ruined ...

That is an interesting point! Something that I have been keeping in mind :)

You would be surprised about how much detail can come across in an FDM printer... especially with a printer as high quality as an Ultimaker :) I think it's better to have the detail then back it down if needed.

Thanks for the feedback guys!