Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

Well, here is my idea. Using the objects for storage. These are some of the sketches in my mind.

First, space theme. Why cant we store some candies, like M&Ms, into the Rocket, UFO or meteor?

Space

Second, the owl and the birdhouse. A nice place to store jewels, and why not, to convert a wristwatch to a wall clock.

The owl's eyes is a perfect place to put rings :D

Owl

Third, the city theme. Ohh, a catastrophe. Don't worry, we still can use these wagons to store some crayons.

City

I hope you like my sketches, and would be pretty nice some feedback.

Thanks and good luck!

• Replies 126
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your project seems to be a bit too detailed to be printed in 3D. Probably the details will be lost and the surfaces appear as ruined ...

Actually, 3D printers can print that and more detailed objects. It depends on the 3D printer

Well, this is a good occasion to stop lurking. I'm eyeing Ultimaker affectionately from across Germany for quite some time now, and won't pass up on such a contest :)

I think there is too little time. I read the announcement too later to partecipate. For me, you should increase the time available. I do not think that would otherwise come so many projects. The announcement was unclear ...

I think this is purposeful, sketches are required from us at this stage. I'm working on mine for a few days now. I think there's gonna be a flood of submissions towards the end, the thread has over 2.5K views. It's usually like that.

[image]

Hey, I was worried a bit about that initial plot. All those sad critters, working on multi-axis CNCs and automated lathes... ;) Brilliant work, this is going to be hard to match! Looks like you'll have to support it in a few places, but overall looks very printable.

Great to see ksn-arts in this thread too, and anxiously waiting for Trobok's submission!

May the best person win!

So here are the first 3D Models.

I want to use a cartoon style.

hero contest 3D 01

Another idea is making some things that are needed for 3D printers.

Like a stepper motor, a filament spool, a feeder, a laptop and in the end an Ultimaker.

All those sad critters, working on multi-axis CNCs and automated lathes... ;) Brilliant work, this is going to be hard to match! Looks like you'll have to support it in a few places, but overall looks very printable.

LOL...Thanks Sinusoid :)

So here are my ideas of "heroes" for the Hero Design Contest.

I thought it would be fun to explore the animal-creature-theme a bit more...

Each animal stands for one page.

sketches by pigplastique

Maybe some of them will come together with small items ( the worm could sit on the mushroom, the bear could get some bees or the rabbit will have a carrot)

To show how the models should look at the end, I started to sculpt the first of them.

The beaver:

beaver by pigplastique

It´s designed in several parts.

So the eyes, arms and legs are movable, which makes it more flexible and interactive.

I´m looking forward for some comments.

Here is my submission to the 2015 Hero Competition!

Below is a "making of, behind the scenes" video so you have an understanding of what this actually is, and what went into designing, developing, and ultimately creating this piece I call:

[3D Digital Self Portrait]

So here are my ideas of "heroes" for the Hero Design Contest.

I thought it would be fun to explore the animal-creature-theme a bit more...

Each animal stands for one page.

Maybe some of them will come together with small items ( the worm could sit on the mushroom, the bear could get some bees or the rabbit will have a carrot)

To show how the models should look at the end, I started to sculpt the first of them.

The beaver:

It´s designed in several parts.

So the eyes, arms and legs are movable, which makes it more flexible and interactive.

I´m looking forward for some comments.

I really like your characters! The shapes are very bold, and will probably print very well. They all have really strong silhouettes and are very appealing, in a gross kind of way :) I totally mean that as a complement though! I think it's really funny where you placed some of the details on the beaver (the sore on the corner of his mouth). Maybe you could make some detachable drool for him as well. It looks like you had a lot of fun working on these. Hope I don't come off as a jerk... I really do like what you are creating! Looking forward to more :)

The spoolholder.

Rough sketches, as per request. Around 30 min per image/model.

Rod is supported by a character, or two characters. Allows for a narrative through dynamic poses and interaction between characters and the spools.

Optionally, the characters can lead the filament out of the spool through interaction (notice the spaghetti dragon :p)

spoolholder

dragon001

squid001

more images in album

software used is Blender and Krita

treeRacers 01

Based on the StudioSpass pdf document. "Wheels in different sizes to create little cars from branches." The idea being that we print out the wheels and the other vehicle parts and clip them onto small branches. These designs turn your average every day sticks into lean, mean, racing machines!

Is it safe to assume that all these vehicles are stick shift?....... sorry, I couldn't help it.

The High Hat or A Set of Buildings

This is intended as an alternate concept for the high hat image, that accentuates Ultimaker 2 Extended's capability to print large things. It can also be used as a variation on the Set of Buildings image.

It's a city/building that folds out telescopically several times it's height and locks into place.

I've chosen a building, because high volume 3d printers are preferred by architects for visualizing their designs.

The design is simplified to display mechanism of action. When executed properly, it shouldn't show borders between modules.

A variant described in the sketch image also mentions a 'matrioshka-style' building. Essentially, we print several buildings in one go, each inside the other, that are then removed from the build plate and can form a small city.

Design can be executed as a visual aid in teaching of history of architecture, can show evolution of styles (from Byzantine to Neoclassicism for instance.)

HIstorical styles are 3d printer friendly due to types of constructions and load-bearing elements used in those times. Plus, we get awesome styles made to impress - think flamboyant gothic or rococo, or the styles of Art Nouveau - especially that of Antonio Gaudi, whose style begs for use of 3d printing.

building sketch

building 001

building 002

building 003

heroimage

For me the Ultimaker is about technology, discovery and creativity. I wanted to show this in a small scene where the prints use the the printer as part of the set. My rough concept is Area 52, robot excavation site.

Basically the scene is of a secret discovery where robot ruins have been dug up by archeologists. The scene is fitted out with clip on Security cameras, Flood lights for the site, ladders and scaffolding around the printer along with the Overseer of the site. A dump truck is also present for rubble removal and scattered around are construction cones.

The main area of focus is a construction pit where it looks like a sunken robot is appearing within the hole, surrounding the dig are a few characters and machinery, exploring the secret discovery. In the background other bits of robot parts can be seen emerging from the ground.

Super quick sketch and I hope it gets the idea across. :)

Owl Sketch 01

Based on the "A pencil, and owl, a nail, several leaves and a classic bird house." sketch from StudioSpass.

I think it would be really cool to have a steam punk/ robotic bird house along with this robot owl and gear leaves.

It would also be fun to incorporate the Ultimaker robot in the house... maybe fending off the evil owl? Or greeting him at the door with a delicious platter of nuts and bolts... and nails. The pencil could be the little stick that the birds land on. It would be cool to model out a techno tree and branches for this all to sit on.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

nice shape ! I like owls...

nice shape ! I like owls...

Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your models!

spaceModelCloseups

spaceModelCloseups.png

Closer renders of my space model sketches for this contest. I thought they might be a little difficult to see from my past posts.

My other two most recent submissions, so I can have everything in one place:

treeRacers 01

Based on the StudioSpass pdf document. "Wheels in different sizes to create little cars from branches." The idea being that we print out the wheels and the other vehicle parts and clip them onto small branches. These designs turn your average every day sticks into lean, mean, racing machines!

Owl Sketch 01

Based on the "A pencil, and owl, a nail, several leaves and a classic bird house." sketch from StudioSpass.

I think it would be really cool to have a steam punk/ robotic bird house along with this robot owl and gear leaves.

It would also be fun to incorporate the Ultimaker robot in the house... maybe fending off the evil owl? Or greeting him at the door with a delicious platter of nuts and bolts... and nails. The pencil could be the little stick that the birds land on. It would be cool to model out a techno tree and branches for this all to sit on.

Also include a link to My Blog

When I see such a work I feel so - untalented... :cry:

It would be cool to model out a techno tree

YES :mrgreen:

techno tree

Sorry, I had to XD

For me the Ultimaker is about technology, discovery and creativity. I wanted to show this in a small scene where the prints use the the printer as part of the set. My rough concept is Area 52, robot excavation site.

This is almost like looting outdated patents :rolleyes:

Is the deadline today midnight, or tomorrow?

Hi everybody,

here is our proposal for the Hero Design contest.

The Hero Nr.1 is a scene where the monkeys use 3D printing to make magic wings that allow them to pick bananas from the trees. As they are 2.0 monkeys (ultimonkeys!) they know that 3d printing is a mighty tool for creation and make their lifes easier.

The Hero Nr.2 is a typical industrial harbour built as a metaphor of the community. The load/containers is distributed all around the world in the cargo ships like the knowledge of the community extends through the web.

Each hero has models of different sizes to fit the different sizes of the ultimaker family.

The last image is about the process of converting an illustration into a 3d printed object. This example is one of our design.We love to draw imaginary architectures that become real through 3d printing.

Cheers,

Iñaki+Raquel

http://xn--arquimaa-j3a.com

http://arqma.es

01 hero Nr102 hero Nr1 Bis03 hero Nr204 hero Nr3

3DofTom. Love your space theme!

Sander: would be cool to have these models available on youmagine when/after used on te site....

Hello

I have modelled also some of the parts in the pdf file. I hope the style suits your needs. It is a clean smooth comic style. I have added some extra things like LED's (in the space theme) and magnets (in the science theme). Furthermore I tried to use "happy" :-P saturated colours.

These are some of the sketches I made. I hope they can be appreciated. :-P

uil1.png

mountains.pngscience.pngspace1.png

I have made a Blog for the other stuff I have printed in the past with my Ultimaker 1. http://michielvandyck.blogspot.be

Michiel

Well, I've had some ideas for this design contest. Some of them are based on some recommendations from the PDF, although I "changed" them. In all the scenes it's necessary to use different colours. We all know that the Ultimaker's printing quality is amazing, but as we can only print in one colour, I've always found all the designs pretty simple (although the models were very complex).

1. Little holiday in the mountains. This composition has different models: mountains (different models: one in the build plate, and one on each side. All of them with a snow part that can be attached), different houses (same architectonic style but with different designs) and clouds (different models, all of them with clips so they can be easily attached to the front panel).

2e3x2qr.jpg

2. The Owl's house. In this composition, as it does in the previous one, the Ultimaker is the place where all the action takes place. In this case it has a double meaning. In first place, it gives the Ultimaker some attention, and also, as the bead heats, it's the best place to build a nest! The different models on this scene are: A nest (this one could be designed, although I first though about using filament, as they are little plastic branches), an owl (which could be resized to have a mother and it's babies), eggs, differerent kind of leaves (printed with autumn colours they would look great) and some branches (they would have a clip to be easily attached to the front panel).

20938tt.jpg

3. FLDSMDFR. I really love the movie Cloudy with a change of meatballs. In that movie the main non-human character is a machine (which looks strangely similar to the Ultimaker 2). Both machines, the FLDSMDFR and the Ultimaker, create awesome things. In this scene I imagine different kind of creatures/monsters/animals with similar design as an Ultimaker 2 (Ulti Sapiens Sapiens), an Arduino (Arduiwhale) , a nozzle (nozztrich), a gear (alligeartor), filament (PLAmingo)... Little creatures that an Ultimaker 2 would create by itself. Evolution!

4. Food. I've got lots of different filament colours, but as I always print low poly models I can't really feel the colours. Food, with its texture, is the best excuse to mix colours. A (not so) delicious hamburger, some spaghetti bolognese (or as I call it, sPLAghetti bolognese), ice cream, sushi, gummy bears... I would transform the Ultimaker into the main dish in a feast!

5. Dinosaurs. I love dinosaurs. When I was a kid everything I wanted was a dinosaur. Nowadays I want one, but I'm a little bit more realistic about this "extintion" issue. In this scene I imagine what would have happened in the past if the Ultimaker was the one who created all the dinosaurs, how would they be. They would have a more stylized design, rounded corners... and a funny name. Also, a giant and super dangerous volcano would be needed. I would love to see a Tyranosaurus PLA, or a DiPLAdocus fighting with a PLAceratops.

Well. That's all. I always think about collections and not single items. Every dinosaur, pizza, creature or owl must have a brother, and this contest is like designing a whole family!

QumEU0X.jpg?1

OcKIsg9.jpg

Software needs be to rigidly defined and can not contain bugs or discrepancies, or else the software will not function properly. The rigidnes and solid structure of the cube embodies the idea of straightforward ness and ease of use like Cura, but the cube is still visually complex, just like Cura on expert mode. The divison of the main cube into several parts not only makes the model more complex, but also visually organizes the cube making it more asethtically pleasing.

E4sPA8V.jpg

GZPDeFr.jpg

jYDtja4.jpg

hsEhynS.jpg

Just ad 3DofTom pointed out, I made the satellite and the rocket more machined looking, while I made the asteroid and UFO more angular and geometric. This contrast helps the viewer understand how different these objects are in terms of context.

Here is my final submission to be judged by the Ultimaker team. Thank you all for your awesome art work, and it was great to see all of it. Best of luck to all. Hopefully I win a printer, it would be so awesome!

-Grayson

modular world

modularworlds2

The concept behind this is to allow the building of both the globe puzzle, the planet and asteroid models from modular kit elements. This would allow every maker of the final object to arrive at their own unique outcome.

In addition to the fairly generic biomes show 'hero' tiles would add a variety of multi-tile (combination of A's and B's) shapes to puzzle over and increase the verity of the world. Tiles may have variations including cities, industry and so on.

As a hook, I thought it would be kind of cool if this worked as part of a fairly simple board game, settlers ish, free rules and data files for models - just print them off and away you go.

This was to be a running them through all of the hero elements, every page has a different 'game' and set of stuff to grab.

Although the diagram lists magnets as the method to ensure tiles adhere to one another a pinning system would also work.

The concept of modularity was also meant to apply to many of the other hero elements (modular space craft, buildings, animals/aliens/space men - and so on.

Eventually entire range of models and core mechanics from the games from each page could be used to play a larger more complex 'master' game. Arzad?

Art style wise I would like to retain somewhat hard polygon edges for non-organic solids (extruded steps) but utilize soft shapes for organic/soft components (flora, fauna, snow, sand, water), this juxtaposition can help the view to read the tile more easily.

Edited to add second page and type correct.