Utilising full build capacity

axsdenied

Posted · Utilising full build capacity

I am trying to print a large flat-ish object close to the maximum build size of UM2 (230x225mm).

I am failing to convince Cura to get even close to that. The maximum size I managed to print so far is 200x200mm (190x190mm touching glass due to rounded bottom edges). Removing skirt gives me extra 2mm in each direction but it is still far off the mark.

1. Cura refused to even do 200x200mm until I added a brim of 3 (or less). Larger brim did not work. Raft seemed to work as well. If I reduced the size of the model it worked without brim/raft.
    Why does adding brim increase print size?

2. The 200x200mm printed object is offset to the front and left on the glass while in Cura it seems to be centered. Why? I am guessing that left comes from the left nozzle but why is it offset forwards?

3. There is a fair bit of space on each side:
    10mm towards front to glass (5 mm to clip)
    18mm towards back (13mm to clip)
    23mm on left
    32mm on right (because of space for 2nd extruder???)
    How to get access to this? I am aware that Cura won't let me print in between the clips but there is lots of unused space inside the allowed region.

What is the safe way to convince Cura to do larger prints? Do I need to change the maximum width/depth in the Machine settings (in Cura)? Default values are 230x225. How far can I go? Is there a safe way of testing the limits.

Thanks in advance

How to get access to this? I am aware that Cura won't let me print in between the clips but there is lots of unused space inside the allowed region.

Maybe there is a correlation to the configured "Printer head size" in the machine settings....?

Perhaps you can tweak these a bit?

How much space is left between the print head (fan shroud) and the walls while printing the outer lines?

Sorry - only more questions - no solutions...

I ran in that situation some time ago where I needed to fit a large piece that would need to space above the glass locks but at a height where it cannot collide with it.

IMG 20141026 164902

IMG 20141026 193332

I changed the code in cura to remove the 4 gray zones from the platform in the Machine Settings (glass lock). This allow you to use the full space. If you think the print head will collide with the glass locks you can open them and use something else to hold the glass in place like tape.

Here is my change:

https://github.com/pmsimard/Cura/commit/f7d7f3caf09a6f39e7340d0cf45434684835c360

If you want to just remove the gray zones on the platform just comment out the section in profile.py where there is a comment #UM2 no-go zones

lol I just looked at those images again... What a dirty print... :D

haha PM, i`m sure it looked great when you cleaned it up :)

A single colission with the glass clips can ruin your nozzle. Stupidly enough we only discoved the problem when we started shipping the um2 (did I mention that the release of the um2 was a overtime nightmare? :p). So thats why we hacked the disallowed grey zones in Cura. It's not a good solution, but it's there for a very good reason.

Maybe cura could know that past a given height it can go over it.

A single colission with the glass clips can ruin your nozzle.

Yep I had a collision like this using the pause at z plugin and it hits pretty hard.