Disconnected Brim

calinb

Posted · Disconnected Brim

This part has a tapered outside surface. Is there an easy way for me to get Cura to generate a brim that actually serves its intended purpose (holding the part to the bed)? I've run into this problem several times and usually just create my own brim or other bed adhesion-promoting structure into my solid model, but Cura should handle this!

Thanks,

-Cal

gallery_908_1631_10578.jpg

I don't understand! How would having 'support on' affect Brim?

If I use Ctrl+E 'brim line amount' = default 20, and 'advanced' > platform adhesion type = brim, then it works fine here!

I understand that the brim is meant to be thin so its flexible to do its job! when cooled it will be easily to break it off, that's normal!

I've just made a cup with tapered outside surface, the brim has formed fine with the settings I suggested above!

BTW I'm using Cura v14.12.1

It seems that the brim thickness equals the Advanced>Quality>Initial layer thickness(mm) in Cura settings

calinb - this is a known bug and is fixed by removing "support" I believe. As pm_dude suggests.

Ahh--so it is. I've confirmed it myself. Thanks, gr5 and pm_dude!

Sometimes I just lazily leave support on when I know it's not going to be generated anyway. Unfortunately, the last time I ran into this bug, I needed the support too, and ended up building a brim into my solid model..

I've often made multilayer stepped brims in my models for maximum hold down. I just noticed that a "fillet" brim option is available in Kisslicer 1.5 beta1 now, but I've not yet tried it. Stepping the brim closer to the model as it climbs up the part a few layers is one of my often used tricks with nylon.

I think this was fixed in one of the 15.01 RCs:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

I think this was fixed in one of the 15.01 RCs:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Thanks Daid! I'll try the RC.