Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tr4l

Ultimaker+ or the Ultimaker2

So I have been doing a lot of research on 3D printers and I found that the Ultimaker is the best bang for the buck (unless I missed something). So, I can't seem to decide between the newest Ultimaker or the Original+. While I can afford either, I want to make sure I get the best one (I don't care about having to build one). I couldn't see a real noticeable difference (other than the price), so could anyone tell me the differences? Thanks!

I'll make it short.

With the Ultimaker Original+ you get a more "hackable" printer where it is easiert to add upgrades. The Ultimaker 2 on the other hand is pretty much ready to go from the begining. But bear in mind that 3D printers all need some care as there is no real "plug and play" printer yet. But I'd say you are closest with the Ultimaker 2.

To add on above. In my experience, it's easier to push the original up to higher speeds (sacrificing quality for speed), but the 2 gives a bit better quality due to the two way cooling, and slightly less oozing.

(Note that I love my own original, and I wouldn't trade it in for a 2. But that's a personal thing)

A good question TR4L.

I got my first printer, an Ultimaker 2 in November. I have had a great time using it and learned a huge amount from keeping an eye on this forum site. But I am now considering getting an UMO+ due to the extra nozzle. I think this may make supporting overhangs easier with some form of discoverable material.

But I am now considering getting an UMO+ due to the extra nozzle.

The UMO+ does not work with the dual extrusion kit (at least not within specs). The UMO+ PSU has not enough power to drive both hotends and the heated bed. If you want dual extrusion, get an UMO and a heated bed kit (and of course the dual extrusion pack).

So, can the dual extruder be added te the 2? What is the benefit of having 2 nozzles (aside from 2 tone prints)?

the last official quote I heard from UM was Q1 for a dual extrusion upgrade for the UM2, but I would not count on it untill its there .... Probalbly the most usefull function of a 2th extruder is the printing of easy to remove support material.

Availability is a big issue. Last time I checked:

UMO+ = 2 months

UM2 = 2 weeks

I've been happy with my UM2. Recently I realized just how easy things have been with my UM2, because I purchased a travel-friendly 3D printer kit from another company. The build part was easy, but with this new small printer I lack the ease of use that I came to expect from Ultimaker. For example, the software apps for my new kit hasn't been tailored to suit that printer. There are many settings that I need to experiment with, need look up the correct values for, etc. It requires a lot of fiddling to make it work well.

Back to the actual subject though.. UMO vs UM2... unless the delivery times are now near equal, I'd go with a UM2 just because you'll be able to use it this quarter.

Thanks for all the feed back. So far, I have not been swayed in either direction! Aside from getting it sooner, what would be the benefit of paying $1300 more for the 2? (aside from it coming pre built).

To add on above. In my experience, it's easier to push the original up to higher speeds (sacrificing quality for speed), but the 2 gives a bit better quality due to the two way cooling, and slightly less oozing.

(Note that I love my own original, and I wouldn't trade it in for a 2. But that's a personal thing)

I realize that you wouldnt trade it in, but would you recommend one over the other? Please consider price. Would I be paying $1k just to get it built?

If you can afford both, then look what you want to do,

Ultimaker 2, unpack and print, tinkering is labor intensive.

Ultimaker+ build, print and keep on tinkering, change nozzle in a minute for super fast large prints.

the overall qualityand speed is slightly better for the UM2, but to me the possibility to adjust and change the UM+ is worth so much more :)