Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

overlap infill/perimeter and feedrates

daan-goedkoop

Posted · overlap infill/perimeter and feedrates

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone could advise me. For a project I'm building a slicer in grasshopper that converts non-closed lines (no contours) to gcode - kinda like the doodle 3d app does - in combination with regular slicing for closed lines (contours).

I have a few questions of which I could use the answers :) .

- Cura's feedrate is given in absolute measurements. Is there anything against relatives?

- Feedrates seem not to be consistent (in Cura). Sometimes I see small(!) differences when I divide the feedrate by its corresponding line length. Is this difference due to set tolerances or is this on purpose?

- What is a reasonable percentage of overlap for solid and grid infill lines over perimeters?

Thanks a Million!

Grtz,

Daan

I dont have real answers but here are my toughts.

-Depending on the precision having relative feedrate could give very small values when dealing with 20 microns layers creating error accumulation. Also I dont know if the feeder will compensate for imprecision or resistance.

-It could depend on your settings in Cura. If you have a .4 mm nozzle and have a 1mm shell then it will have 2 perimeters of .5 mm wide so they will have to be bigger than the infill for example.

- Cura use 15% by default. You can change that into the expert settings.

1. Wouldn't the ultimaker keep track of the f value, adding up each value it reads? no idea how this is done, so this is just guessing.

2.I analysed a Cura sliced gcode file and looked at each line segment of a line, if you know what i mean. there I noticed some differences. Lets say all the line segments belong to the same type of line (eg. grid, support or perimeter).

3. Off course, thanks!

Archived