Big & Little news !

ultiarjan

Posted · Big & Little news !

I don't really get why you would want a smaller one. IMO the Original with the printed handle is portable enough. I take it by bike and train to the ultievenings :p

But I'm curious to see it IRL, it is said to be really cute!

I don't think you grasp how little I work out these days. ;)

For me, the ideal would be something that I can fit in a backpack.

• Replies 102
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just figured out the mini has NO heated bed, and is the same price as an UMO+ (with the new heated bed). Also it's double the price of a printrbot metal .... but there's also a market for overpriced apple stuff, so probably people will buy it ;) it does look super cute ..

Don't like the marketing on the new website, the machines are still sold as super easy plug and play machines with 300 mm/s speed :(

@UltiArjan: You're right with the lack of a heated bed on the UM2 GO. Definitively a serious design flaw IMHO .... :sad: for this price...

edit: as the bed is anyway smaller than necessary we may see a heated bed kit for the UM2 GO soon...

I read it wrong the first time and thought it came with a heated bed. Thanks for pointing it out. It's a bit of a buzz kill and would have expected it to be a little less expensive because of it.

Ill guess it is to reduce the size of the power supply since the original UM2 one is everything else than portable... :) but yeah, that seems like a major drawback since one of the most elegant things about the UM2 is that you dont have to fiddle with tape...

That little baby printer is pretty cute! :-)

@Meduza: Hmmm... smaller PSU... good argument. That's maybe the part one can save most of the production cost compared to the standard UM2. However, I would gladly pay 100-200 euros more for a heated bed. It's really worth. And it would better fit to the 'family'. And it would be a clear plus to the Makerbot Mini.

Well, it's now up to the customers to decide...

But as ChrisR pointed out, it certainly has the cute-effect... :-P

even if they make a heated bed upgrade kit it will end up close to the price of a standard UM2. especially with there shipping costs.

even if they make a heated bed upgrade kit it will end up close to the price of a standard UM2. especially with there shipping costs.

Well... taking into account that you're not living very close to the Netherlands... ;) Shipping around half the World isn't cheap. I know what I'm talking about... I'm using filament from New Zealand... :D

Shipping rates in Europe are quite fair I think. And North America now has its own production. Maybe there will also be a production plant at some time more east?

Comparing the prices, the standard UM2 being 1895 euros and the go 1195 euros I think there is still some space for a heated bed...

We decided quite a while ago that we are not going to join the "race to the bottom". Yes, there are cheaper options out there. Quite a few actually (I would recommend the printrbot options over the Robo options if you want cheap).

But we prefer to have highest quality prints. And better user experience. (Also, for 400 euros, you cannot build an Ultimaker. Unless you have it assembled by child labor)

Understand that completely, but I think the middle ground is a good place to start with new machines.

Just figured out the mini has NO heated bed, and is the same price as an UMO+ (with the new heated bed). Also it's double the price of a printrbot metal .... but there's also a market for overpriced apple stuff, so probably people will buy it ;) it does look super cute ..

Agreed and this is what I meant. It does look awesome, but for functionality at the same price, the UMO+ all the way.

if they make a heated bed upgrade kit

Don't count on it from Ultimaker. (But, as the electronics are the same as the UM2, pretty sure someone will build this at some point)

I was just looking at the image of the UM2 family on the website. The bowden tube for the UM2 extended looks like a 1.75mm bowden tube. Anyone else see that?

If you mean the arc on top on where the 3 pictures are next to each other? I think that's a photoshop booboo, they wiped away a bit too much while erasing the background. But nice catch :)

I dont think um will mind that the "go" is a less attractive proposal. Looking at the cost the most serious margin will be made with the largest printer. I guess the production cost of it are only marginally higher than the standard um2.

I think the "Go" should have been the same price as the UM1,

and having no heated bed is maybe not a wise choice, but does make it more portable :)

Cost wise, the go isn't that much cheaper compared to the um2. Most of the parts are the same (electronics, steppers, etc). There is savings in the heated bed and the material size. Its simply not possible to get it to the price of the original (not without lowering the margin even more).

My personal opinion is that the go is just there because a lot of sales people seem to love it. But hey, thats also a market right?

I was just looking at the image of the UM2 family on the website. The bowden tube for the UM2 extended looks like a 1.75mm bowden tube. Anyone else see that?

Looks like a 3mm bowden in real life.

The UM2extended is exactly what it says on the box. And UM2 and then extended in Z. Nothing more, nothing less.

Am I correct that the Z-axes are the same diameter on the "extended" (this name is to long IMHO...) as on the normal UM2 ? So if I would "extend" my UM2 would I only need ?

- new side panels

- 2 Z axes

- Zstepper/leadscrew

optional, longer stepper covers

And longer electronic cables.

Will these items be sold by Ultimaker individually or possibly as a U2 upgrade kit?

If the parts were bought elsewhere and I wanted to maybe increase the Z by more than just 4", say 6", would my U2 firmware and Cura be configurable to know about the higher build area?

Cura is always configurable to different heights. So that souldn't be a problem. I've not heard anything about an upgrade kit, but its still early.

Will these items be sold by Ultimaker individually or possibly as a U2 upgrade kit?

If the parts were bought elsewhere and I wanted to maybe increase the Z by more than just 4", say 6", would my U2 firmware and Cura be configurable to know about the higher build area?

No, the parts won't be sold as a kit (as you pretty much have to dis-assemble the whole machine. Just writing that manual would be hell)

But, yes, you are free to grab the drawings, make new panels, make lengthed cables, and do this yourself. Firmware wise, it's an easy change:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/commit/f9d8516cd97ba81534acb19fd3453ac8bbaa5e14

That's all the changes from the UM2 to the UM2extended

I just uploaded the UM2extended and UM2go firmware sources onto github today. Nothing really earth shocking there.

What about the machine profiles in Cura?

What about the machine profiles in Cura?

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

https://github.com/daid/Cura/commits/SteamEngine

Done :-) added the bed clips to the UM2go 3D model of the bed, as an experiment. Might do this for the UM2 bed as well, as better shows why there are these gray areas on the bed.

Looking at the press pics I was wondering

- why the " go" has ventilation holes in the stepper covers ? (are there different steppers used that produce more head? there's no heated bed .. so why ?)

- why is the position of the spool holder on the extended so high? putting it lower would provide a more straight entrance into the feeder and probably less friction at entrance ..