Big & Little news !

ultiarjan

Posted · Big & Little news !

Looking at the press pics I was wondering

- why the " go" has ventilation holes in the stepper covers ? (are there different steppers used that produce more head? there's no heated bed .. so why ?)

- why is the position of the spool holder on the extended so high? putting it lower would provide a more straight entrance into the feeder and probably less friction at entrance ..

1) The motors are the same. The covers are new injection molded parts. Something we'll most likely also will use on the UM2 and UM2extended later on. But it's only used on the UM2go as a trial for now. The slots are to get a bit of extra cooling due to convection. It's pretty much a free improvement for injection molded parts, while it would have increased the cost on the metal covers.

2) No idea.

• Replies 102
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Go would have been a great chance to use 1.75mm filament. I know that UM wants to minimize the number of custom parts, but if the Go is a marketing machine anyway, then they should have gone through with it.

I don't like 2.85mm filament. It is "stubborn" and harder to handle. Nearly poked my eye out a few weeks ago when I switched filament... I know that 1.75mm is pricier but Ultimaker is in the best position to change that. If their printers start to adopt that filament size, there is another big argument for the thinner filament.

For the Go I am not that sad about the missing heated bed. The glue stick thinned down with water works wonders. And with the little dude you wouldn't print huge warping parts anyway.

The Extended is very sexy but I wonder why increase the z-size "only" by 100mm? With twice that much the build size would have gone from "pretty big" to "enormous". And for an enormous build size I think those interested in it would pay the extra price easily.

@ Nico, I agree on the "extended-statement".

Considering the opinion of that d***a** from my company buying a Z18 just because of "built size" instead of criteria like quality, support and wase of use, double height would be an outstanding argument I guess not just for our colleague...

Nevertheless, great to see ultimaker making the next steps...

1) The motors are the same. The covers are new injection molded parts. Something we'll most likely also will use on the UM2 and UM2extended later on. But it's only used on the UM2go as a trial for now. The slots are to get a bit of extra cooling due to convection. It's pretty much a free improvement for injection molded parts, while it would have increased the cost on the metal covers.

2) No idea.

@Daid, wouldn't it be better for the UM2 to get convection cooling by adding 2 holes on the bottom of the back cover? with the heated bed (and sometimes a closed front panel) I think it would be smarter to get the cooling from outside of the box .. I basically already have it on mine as I have no feeder steppers inside the box, so there are 2 holes below the xy steppers.

Is the reusable packaging for the UM2go just cardboard. or something a bit more substantial?

Is the reusable packaging for the UM2go just cardboard. or something a bit more substantial?

It's more substantial. Cardboard is nice for normal packing due to it being recyclable. But it won't survive a lot of transportation that the UM2go is intended for.

That's good. I just checked out the press kit which has more photos but it wasn't displayed.

(In all honesty, I haven't seen the final packaging as well)

10898213_10205337224850552_8300962434926753599_n.jpg?oh=2196e81caf7d35d2d3087bbea5f5c752&oe=553FF1AC

10410690_10205337224690548_8854272583539306176_n.jpg?oh=1f043fd26b8aa1f32bda34147f9c9876&oe=553BEE77

Luis posted them on his facebook. These are his pictures from CES.

That's pretty cool.

At least we know there now is one model you can order of which you can be pretty certain it won't arrive with damage :p

(sorry, couldn't resist)

At least we know there now is one model you can order of which you can be pretty certain it won't arrive with damage :p

(sorry, couldn't resist)

The UMO+ ;-)

I'm pretty sure the transport guys would find a way to damage it, they can be very inventive when it comes to beat the shit out of packages :mrgreen:

Hahaha @Daid... Perhaps I should buy me one of those as a second printer then :)

Didier its true.. I just went to pick up a bigger package in the postal office (about 50cmx70cmx30cm) and it looked like it had been someone's couch for 3 weeks... someone very heavy.

The UMO+ :wink:

well if you keep shipping it out with all the parts that could be damaged missing ;)

open door.. ;)

Oh snap...

*silently retreats and hides*

I'm pretty sure the transport guys would find a way to damage it, they can be very inventive when it comes to beat the shit out of packages :mrgreen:

Reminds me of the intro to Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

well if you keep shipping it out with all the parts that could be damaged missing ;)

So true.

(Mistakes where made with an UMO+ shipment, where the part shipping list did not match the actual BOM, explaining the recent large amount of complains on this area. No need to deny that screw-up from our side)

The Go would have been a great chance to use 1.75mm filament. I know that UM wants to minimize the number of custom parts, but if the Go is a marketing machine anyway, then they should have gone through with it.

I don't like 2.85mm filament. It is "stubborn" and harder to handle. Nearly poked my eye out a few weeks ago when I switched filament... I know that 1.75mm is pricier but Ultimaker is in the best position to change that. If their printers start to adopt that filament size, there is another big argument for the thinner filament.

switching a long bowden from 3mm to 1.75 isn`t a very easy job, the 1.75 material is much more flexible so it will cause lots of pressure issues, especially when printing faster, thats why most (or all?) bowden style printers use 3mm filament.

Chri

In my (limited) experience with the 3DR Delta printer I found no problems related to feeding filament. On the contrary - where as badly wound 3mm filament would cause underextrusion, the 1.75mm filament can be carelessly tossed around and the feeder would push it through the bowden without problems.

But as I said - experience is limited. I guess Ultimaker has tested it before and they decided against it. I just hope they didn't ditch 1.75mm just because someone doesn't like it.

I guess Ultimaker has tested it before and they decided against it. I just hope they didn't ditch 1.75mm just because someone doesn't like it.

While we have done some limited experiments (with success) on 1.75mm. The choice of doing 3mm for the UM2go was done on other factors. Not changing the hotend and filament diameter simply means less new parts, less engineering effort and less storage allocation for our logistics department.

The smaller one is probably more marketing driven .. I can't imagine the cost to build the smaller one to be a lot cheaper than the UM2, curious about the retail price of the new machines

I was thinking the exact same thing. It must still need essentially the same list of components, and I don't see that you can really skimp on the component specs (e.g. stepper motor max torque), so I wondered how there could be a significant price difference. I also can't see the filament, but I assume it can't take the same size reel as the current UM2. Sell at below cost, use custom filament spool and make the moolah from consumables?

You could have said about the same for these devices: ;)

old_mobile_phones.jpg

Not really an accurate comparison. Mobile phone technology has led to packing the same ability into a smaller space. But the Go isn't a replacement for the UM2, it will be sold in parallel. So I too am with the "I don't get it?" camp!

I also can't see the filament, but I assume it can't take the same size reel as the current UM2. Sell at below cost, use custom filament spool and make the moolah from consumables?

Same reels, just a shorter holder that only holds a single spool.