Sign in to follow this  
ultiarjan

Big & Little news !

Posted · Big & Little news !

I was thinking the exact same thing. It must still need essentially the same list of components, and I don't see that you can really skimp on the component specs (e.g. stepper motor max torque), so I wondered how there could be a significant price difference. I also can't see the filament, but I assume it can't take the same size reel as the current UM2. Sell at below cost, use custom filament spool and make the moolah from consumables?

It can take the same size reels.

Edit: sorry... On the phone and missed that last reply

I was thinking the exact same thing. It must still need essentially the same list of components, and I don't see that you can really skimp on the component specs (e.g. stepper motor max torque), so I wondered how there could be a significant price difference. I also can't see the filament, but I assume it can't take the same size reel as the current UM2. Sell at below cost, use custom filament spool and make the moolah from consumables?

I guess it is the same thing as for cars: A small car costs almost as much as a big car to develop and to manufacture, but the customers expects a small car to be considerably cheaper since it is smaller, and that is what sets the sales price.

Just as the car manufacturers, Ultimaker probably makes most of the profit on the big models, but the small one is important for the sales.

One thing that would be clever though is if the outer dimensions of the UM2Go are such that the leftovers from the holes in the panels of the larger models could be used for the UM2Go panels (?)

(I tried to estimate it from the photos and it might just about be possible)

In that case Ultimaker could save both on manufacturing costs and materials costs for the panels.

a "few" years ago the Mac se, the laptop of it's time, was delivered with a carrier bag ... could also be cool for the GO as it's similar in size. Or sell it as a accessory.

GObag