Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
area0404

Cura 14.12 Retraction Settings

So, no way to modify it through Gcode? That's one thing I've not really like about Ultimaker 2 so far starting out with it. So many things have been "on the machine". Same goes for temperature control. Spent a while looking for that too. :/

Anyway, in the mean time shall go explore the menu on the Ultimaker 2 more indepth! Thank you!

If you want to control everything from Cura. That can be done. Set the "GCode flavor" to "RepRap (Sprinter/Marlin)" instead of "UltiGCode". Then you will have all the settings (temperature, retraction, bed temperature) in Cura and the settings from the machine will be overruled.

Having the settings on the machine is a great advantage.

You should use the UM2 for what it's good at in my opinion. Since you can tweak them during the print and based on the material it give you more control and less settings to put in the gcode.

I see your point. But so far, changing temp setting half way through has not been working great for me for some reason. Having a lot of strings during my last run, so I changed temp from 210 to 205 then to 200 on the fly. At first it printed fine, after I left however, it started to under-extrude in a major way. However, currently I'm printing on 200 from the beginning and it seems to be printing just fine.

I guess I'll test both setting on-machine and from gcode further to see which one I prefer in the end.

Changing temp on the fly can overshoot sometimes. If you're printing a 210°c and set directly to 200°c it might drop to 195°c before stabilizing. I know it's boring but try to change the temp in small steps 2°c at a time.

To me it's a big plus to be able to change these settings on the fly

THAT'S GREAT! TESTING IT OUT! THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

You're welcome. We know that the prefer way of doing things won't suit everyone, so there are options :-)

(Also, if you change to RepRap flavor gcode, you can USB print. But stability of that is not guaranteed)

You're welcome. We know that the prefer way of doing things won't suit everyone, so there are options :smile:

(Also, if you change to RepRap flavor gcode, you can USB print. But stability of that is not guaranteed)

Went back to UltiGcode flavour for now though. Can't get the starting code running correctly. Hahahahahaha! Will try again when I got the free time with testing out more RepRep. :)

Went back to UltiGcode flavour for now though. Can't get the starting code running correctly. Hahahahahaha! Will try again when I got the free time with testing out more RepRep. :)

I made a post about this here: http://zeleskitech.com/2015/01/03/using-octoprint-ultimaker2-gcode/

Here is the start code needed:

;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}

;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}

;Print time: {print_time}

;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g

;Filament cost: {filament_cost}

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 ;Home all

G1 F12000 X5 Y10 ;move hotend to front left

M190 S70 ;add your own bed temperature line

M109 S245 ;add your own temperature line

G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E5 ;extrude 5mm of feed stock FAST

G1 F50 E15 ;extrude 15mm of feed stock SLOW

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F{travel_speed}

;Put printing message on LCD screen

M117 Printing...

The blog post explains how to set temps.

You're welcome. We know that the prefer way of doing things won't suit everyone, so there are options :smile:

So far printing from OctoPrint on 14.12.1 has been very stable even on large long prints. Very happy with it :)

So far printing from OctoPrint on 14.12.1 has been very stable even on large long prints. Very happy with it :)

OctoPrint won't have stability issues. The issues are with USB on the "computer" side, and the Pi does not have this issue.