Stuck Noob

65fastback

Hoping the first print would go easier heh. Such a noob. Anyhow, I've read countless threads on here and the user manual twice.

I downloaded an object from youmagine.com. it is an stl file.

I opened it in cura, then saved it to the SD card.

I turned the UM2 on, and went through the setup.

I put the material in. I selected PLA. I loaded the SD card. I selected the file I had saved to it.

I clicked print. It did its heating up and preparing to print deal.

And then, the print head centered and away it went moving all around like it was printing.

Except.

It wasnt.

The ultimaker blue PLA material isnt coming out. So the print head was just waving all over the glass and doing nothing.

So....what should I do next?

Thanks in advance!

Do the change filament procedure (from the um2 controller, Material->Change)

- Remove the filament

- Inspect the filament that was in the bowden tube to make sure the filament is not squashed or grinded. If it is cut it that part away.

- Cut the tip at an angle. This will help the filament not get stuck at the opening of the nozzle.

- Feed the filament in again.

During the filament change procedure you should see the filament come out of the nozzle before ending the process.

Good luck

Posted · Stuck Noob

Ok, Cleven and pm_dude were superb help!

Got it all up and working...now for the next "issue".

Since I bought my machine used, it was missing the filament feed guide that goes at the bottom left of the unit. No worries...Ive got a 3d printer! So I hop on youmagine...hunt around for one I like.

Load it all up. Click print. Tired. Go to bed.

It was two pieces. The piece that goes on the printer, and then the wheel that clicks on it for the filament guide feeding.

The piece that goes on the printer went GREAT. Broke off the support structure pieces and put it right in the printer, no problems: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/VTQBMWxsB0hcrW_BbeegMh3AaHDYHIL5qReOoAwnQtw

The problem is the little wheel piece. For some reason, about halfway through printing the wheel piece, it I guess lost its positioning? Anyhow. It printed half the wheel, then went to another position on the build plate and printed the top half...which, without a bottom half, came out like a blob of crap.

Im trying to figure out why it did this. Hmm.

edit: having pic issues.

To post pics on the forum:

Concerning your problem it's an adhesion problem.

Did you apply some glue on the buildplate?

Is your first layer squished on the plate or does it look like small tubes (not squished).

You can also add a brim (in Cura) if the model is small

Posted · Stuck Noob

IMG 20150108 053908IMG 20150108 053936IMG 20150108 053949

There are the pics. The interesting part is that the bottom half of the part went fine. the top half got printed in a totally different location on the build plate that the printer was never printing to begin with.

In cura, was the object centered? The reason I am asking is that the "messy part" seems to be at the correct location, while the first part seems to possibly have moved from the center. At the end of the print was the first part solidly attached to the plate, or was it just located as in the photo, but not attached to the plate?

In short, as Didier Klein was pointing out, adhesion problems could have done so that the first part moved from his original location (the center of the plate) and the print just went on, hence the "mess".

@personal drones.

Looking at your avatar, I hope you've seen http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6657-let%E2%80%99s-design-a-multirotor-together/.

@personal drones.

Looking at your avatar, I hope you've seen this thread.

Woofy I did not see it, looks very interesting thank you. I guess there should the final files online by now on youmagine, will look for them. Indeed I came to 3D printing through an interest in building my own flying machines: was constantly finding myself needing some parts that either were not available or costed too much. Finally landed on Ultimaker, very happy about this choice. :-P

Posted · Stuck Noob

In cura, was the object centered? The reason I am asking is that the "messy part" seems to be at the correct location, while the first part seems to possibly have moved from the center. At the end of the print was the first part solidly attached to the plate, or was it just located as in the photo, but not attached to the plate?

In short, as Didier Klein was pointing out, adhesion problems could have done so that the first part moved from his original location (the center of the plate) and the print just went on, hence the "mess".

That is what im guessing happened...going to make sure and put down some painters tape on this next test set

Posted · Stuck Noob

reprint turned out well!