What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

A more stable Z stage that doesn't bounce around so much. The current one is cantilevered out way too far, reducing print quality and compromising bed leveling.

Auto bed leveling. Much less necessary with a beefier bed but still very handy.

Feeder that doesn't jam so much. I designed the Hive76 Milled Bolt, a pinch-wheel with very positive grip. Once there was a filament jam with one of the printers with the filament spool hanging from the ceiling and the machine climbed right off the table. I'm sure there are lots of approaches that will result in a less finicky feeder than the UM2.

All metal hot end? I think it's clear that Teflon makes for fairly disposable isolators.

Dual material. I don't care about color, I can paint it if I wanted that, I need real support material so I can print functional parts.

I love my UM2, but there's lots of room for improvement!

-Dave

* Possibility to print directly from PC (USB) mainly the reason why i haven`t bought a UM(+/2) yet.

* Multi-Extrusion (2-4)

* all PEEK Hotend (see m-p v10), please NO all-metal crap

* lower base cost (maybe a UM3-Basic in UMO style with Dibond or so?)

* a DIY KIT

* 1.75mm support (difficult with bowden i know, maybe a micro direct drive option for flexible filament (sub 100g))

* Quickrelease system for the printbed glass plate

* Heatbed with higher temp. support than 100°C

Chri

Full color? Don't expect that.

Improved feeder? Yes.

Full metal? Nope. Will always jam with PLA. However, the UM2 design isn't the most optimal. And I'm sure a design with teflon that does not wear out can be made. PEEK is the best suggestion ever, as it melts around 300, and deforms even sooner, and if we are designing a new hotend, we might want to account for hotter materials as well.

Improving the bed clips is something we are working on, (even for the current gen of machines)

(Also, Chrii, you can print USB with the UM2. It's just not officially supported due to potential problems. It works, and it will remain working. But it's not a feature that we want to burden our support department with)

Full metal? Nope. Will always jam with PLA.

This is not quite correct. I've been running a stainless steel Pico hot end with PLA consistently for months and it jams essentially never. That is more than I can say for the UM2 hot end which decides that PLA is something it does not wish to print that month.

The trick is to season the hot end.

Personally, I didn't even have to go that far as I just rubbed some oil on a couple of meters of filament and let it go. I've just periodically added a very small bit of oil to the surface of my filament every few weeks and things work amazingly.

I've since started doing this with my UM2 and have had fewer problems with PLA jamming recently.

I'd like to see:

1. Dramatically improved feed system.
    2. Nozzle that doesn't jam constantly
    3. Nozzle that is changeable for different sizes
    4. Easier access for maintenance on the hot end
    5. Dual extrusion (That's why I bought the UM2 to begin with)
    6. 1.75mm filament
    7. Larger build volume 300x300x300
    8. (if the patents allow it) a proper enclosed chamber
    9. Faster bed heating times
    10. I don't need or want printing from PC but, for the love of god, let me perform maintenance actions like jogging, heating, filament change, etc from the PC.

Some sort of auto or easily switchable filament diameter

Change the cantilever table for a more rigid system

Dual Extruders, not interested in mixing colours, but like the idea of using desolvable supports

Dual Extruders, not interested in mixing colours, but like the idea of using desolvable supports

Yes, that's pretty much the main use we see for dual extrusion request right now. So we need a proper soluble material with that as well, and improved software support.

I'll second 300x300x300 build volume, and without those crappy clips that can interfere with the nozzle.

And how about getting rid of the lousy Bowden-tube design, and replacing it with a Flex3Drive direct-drive, that can move more plastic at higher speeds, and is easily cleared if the nozzle ever clogs? Oh, yeah, and how about a heater that won't be a restriction on print speeds?

...I don't need or want printing from PC but, for the love of god, let me perform maintenance actions like jogging, heating, filament change, etc from the PC.

You don't need a PC. Just use the included mobile full color hd graphics tablet (connected via wifi) with lots of apps that control every detail... (standard accessory). :wub:

This would be really nice...

I want that thing that I know they're working on but I can't talk about... :D

Nice, Robert, THANK YOU... :-)

Lol, did you have to do that?

Yeah I really want it 2. :)

Which one of them do you mean? (We can do this as well... :p )

Seriously, I'm curious to see the result of Jaime's work...

My feedback (I am only using the UM2 now for a few weeks).

better guidance for the table (e.g. 3 of those spindles, connected with a tooth belt?).

Option for self-leveling

motors outside the printing room (keep things separated)

bigger print room (would be nice but not a killer criteria for me)

dual extrusion/feeder, e.g. different color, different diameter, but same material

sw control of the little noisy fan (swith it off when the head is not heated/cold)

teflon insulater --> ceramics insulator (when it works for skark plugs, it should be good enough for UM)

option for an eclosure (even making it myself is possible and I like to do stuff like that, it takes a lot of time, effort -> money). Maybe enclosure having the option for a fan with filter (activated carbon). maybe temp sensor to have the print room under control and active control of the fan thru SW.

direct load from PC to UM (even I like the SD card approach, as I can go elsewhere with my laptop while the machine is printing, the forth and back with the card is not so cool)

Different power supply? might be needed anyway for something that is bigger. maybe an industrial type with the industrial type of high power connectors (e.g. 508 system as used for many PLCs)

made completely out of sandwich panels (might be needed anyway if bigger)

please use Tx screws. I am still trying to remove one of the screws where the hex head has been somewhat damaged during the assembly.

sw control of the little noisy fan (swith it off when the head is not heated/cold)

teflon insulater --> ceramics insulator (when it works for skark plugs, it should be good enough for UM)

sw control for the little noisy fan is ready, but it's the hardware that cannot do it. The next UM2 electronics board iteration does this, but that hasn't been released yet.

Ceramics insulator does not work due to the fact that molten PLA glues itself to it. (Same problem as PEEK, and a bunch of other materials. And yes, whatever you think off for ceramics, we have tried it.

Oh yes, that will be awesome.

sw control for the little noisy fan is ready, but it's the hardware that cannot do it. The next UM2 electronics board iteration does this, but that hasn't been released yet.

Will we be able to hack our UM2's to cater for this or will this just be for new machines?

Oh yeah that one. Its amazing. Cant imagine living without it

Yes, that's pretty much the main use we see for dual extrusion request right now. So we need a proper soluble material with that as well, and improved software support.

little bit OT, just an idea:

Would it help to find a proper material, to print only one or two layer of some divider material? The support could be printed in the same material as the object. The soluble material would be only on the contact surfaces betw. support and object. In this way problems like different shrinkage of the two materials are minimized. And it would reduce the requirements on the helper material. (It would avoid the printing of bigger structures with the soluble material).

Oh yeah that one. Its amazing. Cant imagine living without it

UM is building a desktop beer brewery??? really??? GREAT :smile:

OK, seriousely: how many cookies for spoiling....???

Depends on the cookies and if the box contains 100 euro bills, you need a whole lot less :)

UM is building a desktop beer brewery??? really??? GREAT :smile:

This is actually already underway http://www.brewie.org/

Will be cheaper and of more practical use compared to an UM3 :p

@foehnsturm That's actually a pretty cool project.

Lol, did you have to do that?

Yes, yes I did ;) Sometimes it's painful to not be able to talk freely though. See, I suffer too :D