What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

Posted (edited) · What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

Honestly, any machine that is built to switch between filament diameters is nothing more than a crappy marketing gimmick, you need to optimize the whole setup to build a fantastic printer, not making crazy compromises like that...

To switch between filament diameters you need to switch the whole filament path, from the feeder to the nozzle, not add "a couple small pieces", or it will never work well.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 135
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

I agree with @Meduza although I have installed a second extruder with 1.75mm diameter from the feeder to the nozzle on my UM2. A machine should be optimized for one diameter. However, if Ultimaker would change the diameter to 1.75mm one day, it should be out of good reasons.

If one wants to print 1.75mm filament on an UM2(+): there is an Olsson convertion kit and a 1.75mm version of the Matchless V3 block and nozzles from 3dSolex.

Edited by Guest

Posted · What Would You Like To See In An Ultimaker 3?

As @meduza said, a lot of things are involved when changing the filament diameter setup. The easiest way to see it are all the profiles in Cura for all the filaments and nozzle diameters for the Ultimaker 2. Yes, all those variations are just for changing the nozzle size, not the filament, so imagine if you could insert any kind of filament you want.

However, I love the idea of using any kind of filament, but the most reliable path in the long term would be to gather all the manufacturers and make them vote for 1.75mm or 3mm filament diameter.

• 3 weeks later...

Recover failed print option. would be great!

Ed

That's a good idea and as an eco-friendly maniac I see it as a MUST, but I'm afraid Ultimaker is more interested in creating a more reliable machine in order to avoid failed prints. Only a true maker would be a happy customer after seeing a print failing and having the possibility to recover it! :p

Nozzle cleaning pad like on the Lulzbot. And a feature in the slicer that allows you to clean off the nozzle every X layers.

This would be nice for very long prints where stuff can accumulate on the nozzle.

• Like 3

Buy out Prusa MK2 machines, slap UM3 logo on it and call it a day :)

Buy out Prusa MK2 machines, slap UM3 logo on it and call it a day :)

So far those MK2 reviews have been glowing. Josef says the magic is in his mesh auto leveling in the firmware. Plus the heated bed manages multiple areas in order to maintain an even temperature. I like the fact that it can be torn down quickly to fit in a suitcase, which can go in the overhead bin of an airliner. I did that with a UM2, but it was an ordeal. The MK2 prints are being compared to UM2 quality. It could all be early hype though. I haven't used one yet :-)

My plan is to wait til Nov when the MK2 4-color mixer is supposed to be released, then read about peoples' experiences and try talking myself out of buying one, or wait for the UM3 to set a new standard.

The Prusa i3 MK2 looks great, and considering the price, there are very little printers that offer more for the same price.

The only thing I don't like about those designs is that they cannot be enclosed without building a big structure around. They sure can be disassembled, but I really appreciate the idea of seeing a printer and being able to see the actual size. However, this is not a real problem for most of the makers.

I'm really glad the Prusa i3 is still alive and even up to Ultimaker's quality. It's the best thing for the community!

• Like 1