Octoprint in combination with Ultimaker printer

moshzu

Posted · Octoprint in combination with Ultimaker printer

Hi there,

I have a question about Octoprint in combination with Ultimaker.

For an exam project i have a Ultimaker printer connected to a Raspberry pi with Octoprint installed.

This works fine and the .gcode seems to be forwarded to the printer since it does start to work and the printhad does move around.

However, the bed on wich the print is printed won't come up when i try to print something. It does come up when i try to print of an SD card.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance!

I'm using:

Ultimaker 2

Raspberry pi B

Welcome to the forum.

Octoprint doesnt support ultigcode so it doesnt trigger the um2 default start procedure.

You need to set your settings to reprap marlin in the Machine settings of cura and slice your object. The gcode will include the start and end procedure.

Trouvé sur un autre topic (pas testé):

start.gcode:

;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}

;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}

;Print time: {print_time}

;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g

;Filament cost: {filament_cost}

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 ;Home all

G1 F12000 X5 Y10 ;move hotend to front left

M190 S70 ;bed temperature

M109 S245 ;hotend temperature line

G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E5 ;extrude 5mm of feed stock FAST

G1 F50 E15 ;extrude 15mm of feed stock SLOW

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F{travel_speed}

;Put printing message on LCD screen

M117 Printing... ;left in but does not seem to work via USB

end.gcode:

;End GCode

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off

M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)

G91 ;relative positioning

G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure

G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more

G28 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way

M84 ;steppers off

G90 ;absolute positioning

;{profile_string}

Finally its working. But I was not really aware in the needed Cura settings change and had the same problem as Moshzu. Thanks to pm_dude.

I would have preferred the Cura/Ultimaker logic where the material and temperature is not in the gcode. Also i missed the flexibility in reducing the speed and other settings during print. (Well, a change is not possible on the browser and I did not want to try on the printer during printing).

On the others side its fascinating to have control from far away and also to get pictures.

In a few weeks or months there should be more experience in using the software and also knowledge about software add-ons.

We are lucky that Gina made it and the this Spanish mobile phone company sponsors it.

Technically, it should be possible to add the correct ulticodes, no? I had a look at OctoPrint today and glanced at their open sourced https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Cookbook:-Custom-Controls. Seems anyone can add any gcode that isn't currently supported by OctoPrint, why not add the required ulticode codes for moving the bed, heating, etc.,? Then we wouldn't need to switch over to the reprap marlin setting.

Or is ulticode a completely different protocol and not just extra codes upon the same protocol?

Technically, it should be possible to add the correct ulticodes, no? I had a look at OctoPrint today and glanced at their open sourced Custom Controls git repo. Seems anyone can add any gcode that isn't currently supported by OctoPrint, why not add the required ulticode codes for moving the bed, heating, etc.,? Then we wouldn't need to switch over to the reprap marlin setting.

Or is ulticode a completely different protocol and not just extra codes upon the same protocol?

That's a bit different...

AFAIK there are no special "ulticodes". It's more a problem of a lack of gcodes...

The firmware distinguishes between UltiGCode and "classic mode" based on the comments on top of the gcode file,

...and only if one prints from the sdcard.

If the ";FLAVOR:UltiGCode" is detected on the beginning of the file, the firmware takes care about the start- and end- processing (based on the material settings of the printer).

For example: The first gcode command is not even read from the file until the heatup procedure is completed.

It's not possible to initiate the UltiGcode behavior via serial connection (USB) (or any other way).

If you ("automagically") would add gcodes for moving, heating etc.., than it would just be another approach to add classic (RepRap) gcode.

As a conclusion: to achieve the wanted behavior you had to modify the firmware too.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the explanation, TinkerGnome. I also read that OctoPrint can save directly to the SD card, but since the max USB serial transmission is 250kbps (31.25KBps), it could take a long time to transfer.

All I was really looking for, originally, was a way to abort a print at home from work if I see it's failed in some way via webcam. Being able to initiate a print remotely isn't that high on the wish list as there is always adhesion prep to be done and that can't happen remotely.

EDIT: If only I could train a Jack Terrier dog... hmmmm.... a monkey, perhaps...

You need to set your settings to reprap marlin in the Machine settings of cura and slice your object. The gcode will include the start and end procedure.

In Cura 2.1.x is the only way to do this to change the type of printer to a UMO?