Missing support structure

anthonyt

Posted · Missing support structure

I am having difficulty getting a full support structure under all overhanging parts in my small test model. Here is a screenshot showing that a large overhang is missing under the largest middle section:

gallery_17281_1666_50537.jpg

Are there some special settings to get full support structures under every piece of the model that overhangs?

The model exists here if you'd like to test it:

http://unihedron.com/projects/ultimaker/overhangtest.stl

With very small models its better to do the supports yourself.

You can also change the support settings in the expert settings. Check the side distance, infill % and top distance. I'm not in front of my pc so I can't tell the real setting names.

With very small models its better to do the supports yourself.

You can also change the support settings in the expert settings. Check the side distance, infill % and top distance. I'm not in front of my pc so I can't tell the real setting names.

Thanks for your reply.

I intend on printing a larger model with fine details and do not want to design all supports in myself, especially for all changes.

I have already tried the "expert settings" for support (shown on the right side window of the screen capture). All sensible ranges have been tried (i.e. from 0, 0.01 ... 1,10) for each settable parameters, and none of them extend the support up to the middle block.

There seems to be a problem with Cura creating a support structure for small items. Doubling the scale of my model allows Cura to build the support structure. This model is currently not printable with the Cura-sliced gcode.

I have tried Slic3r on my small model and that full support is built, now I am trying to get the rest of that gcode ported over to work on the UM.

Note that the support X/Y distance setting has effect on this. (Yes, support is a bit broken at the moment, it's one of the weaker points in Cura right now)

I was having nonexistent support structure issues. Adjusting the X/Y distance in expert settings solved this issue. Thanks for the advice.