Procedure for Cleaning Outside of Nozzle?

mike-truly

Posted · Procedure for Cleaning Outside of Nozzle?

I have a blob of PLA on the outside of the nozzle.

Is there a particular procedure to clean this off? Do I need to heat the nozzle (via the maintenance functions) and then wipe it off with a paper towel?

Thanks!

Yep, that's how I did it. Excess blobs of plastic get stuck to the mouth of the nozzle or the outsides many times as they solidify with cooling. More then not they're not easily removed just by "scraping" or fingers or anything. So you do have to heat up the nozzle and just gently wipe it off with a paper towel or a piece of paper. Be aware though, the nozzle heats up pretty high and the heat gets through the paper towel or paper pretty fast. Watch your fingers ;)

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the info!

Would the toothbrush bristles melt when used to brush at the melting temperature? I guess instead I could use one of those small (toothbrush sized) brushes that are made with copper bristles.

Thanks again.

Paper towel is all you really need.

There is also another solution I found on thingiverse but related to a replicator...

Should work for an UM too...

There is a small cube wirh a cone shaped cut to print. When ready, stuck the nozzle into it and wait until the nozzle cools down to app.90 degree and make something like the atomic pull, but on the outside.

I've never dont this before so no guarranty that it works...

I also use paper towels :-) but thougth it might be a interesting solution too.

• Like 1

Me too although I use a J cloth, more protective than a paper towel. For those bits that refuse to move then holding the nozzle in boiling water makes them very easy to scrape off; good for removing anything from the inside of the nozzle too.

I just leave it on till the next print then give a wipe with paper towel just before the commencement of printing!(ie when the nozzle is over 190c)

I just heat it up to 100 degree and use my bare fingers... cos Im tough :p

• Laugh 1

I just heat it up to 100 degree and use my bare fingers... cos Im tough :p

Lol! :-)

Thanks for all the ideas!