First Layer very thin since 14.12.1

mghtbgiant

Posted · First Layer very thin since 14.12.1

Maybe translucent is the wrong word. My experience is with taulman nylon and be it clear, blue or red that 1st layer looks thinner to me, I am guessing it is the way the material reflects light

The first layer certainly isn't as opaque as it's simply not very thick. However, I'm trying to point out that this isn't my first batch of prints. I am experiencing something different between 14.09 to 14.12.1.

I just switched to a PLA filament and re-re-re-re-re-leveled; this time I only went for the absolute minimum of resistance from the sheet of paper (which would be a higher nozzle distance).

I am printing a plain round disc about 40mm in circumference and about 3mm high. As an aside, it's a model I made for these discs one of my kid's toys shoots.

In any case, I also noticed in 14.12.1. When you go through the bed-leveling wizard, when you're done on the second time around, the print head remains at the front-right corner of the platform; it does not home.

This initial layer went down a lot more "normally". It seems entirely probable that the build-platform was too high.

As I have owned this machine, and tinkered with all manners of settings, I had a period where I had the nozzle VERY near the platform and thought I had gotten away from doing that. On the last batch of levels, I must've gone back to being too close. And, now that I think about it, I have used the same piece of paper for the fine-tuning, for a VERY long time. There's a good chance it's been squished done in places and no longer usable for this means.

I will see how this part comes off the print bed and let you know.

You dont need to register to the support. Just click on submit a ticket directly.

The glass plate issue as nothing to do with the firmware.

The bed leveling issue as nothing to do with the firmware change. You redid the bed leveling too close, you just have to adjust it. If your initial layer is 0.2mm then the initial layer height should be 0.2mm thick and 0.4mm wide (depending on your nozzle size).

Some user got issues with 14.12 and 14.12.1 for other issues so I recommend not updating but it doesn't mean it will break your glass plate.

The glass plate issue as nothing to do with the firmware.

Some user got issues with 14.12 and 14.12.1 for other issues so I recommend not updating but it doesn't mean it will break your glass plate.

Absolutely. I understand the difference. I am a software developer by trade. And, I tried logging into the support system and it tells me "invalid email or password." Then I thought maybe it was a separate login system so I tried to register and it told me my email address was already in use. Then, I reset my password. Still no dice.

But yeah, the glass breaking. That's bananas. I actually ordered myself an extra plate when I first bought the machine so I am good to go but this one should not have broken. So, I still need to talk to them about it.

It does. I ASSumed that I'd need to (or be better off) logging in before submitting a ticket. I didn't even attempt to just submit the ticket.

And, my test print just finished. I'm going to let it cool a spell and see how it comes off.

The print came off just fine. I see some gaps between passes so the nozzle needs adjusted down just a smidge. I just tweaked the screws a skosh so we will see how the next print goes!

Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear that one went OK :) You know I do think that bed levelling actually is quite difficult- after all how can you be sure that the paper slid out with exactly the same friction as it did on the other side, awfully hit and miss. There have been times when I have felt I have it right and ploughed on and then some time after done it again and it actually comes out better. So don't beat yourself up!!!

Thank you kindly! Everyone's help is much appreciated!