Prosthetic Limb - Open source

pm_dude

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · Prosthetic Limb - Open source

Hi Jameshs

Thanks I have just been reading through the pages and pages of stuff... impressed at the amount of people willing to help :)

Are you involved with it and at what level? I may jump onboard when I get chance!

I have done a few!

Ignore the poor journalism in the first one - I was not happy with the intial design and so completely re-designed from the ground up (except the excellent 'talon' hand)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889393/New-arm-great-present-Charlie-5-Limb-using-3D-printer-means-schoolboy-properly-grips-gifts-year.html

We could always use some more UK makers - currently we have other europeans (and thanks to them) helping to satisfy the demand!

James

I still don't understand why it need to be made so wide. It might be just an impression but can't it be made based on a real size hand (especially kid size)?

I struggled with that to begin with - but they have a wrist and no fingers. Once you accept that - where do you put an exoskeleton except on the outside, and then once you accept it is on the outside - and you are making it with a 3d printer then there is a minimum thickness of material - and a bit extra (as these work for all ages) and then spare because you are bolting and screwing into the stuff and voila - you have this thickness.

So it is the nature of an exoskeleton because most of the actual hand it still there.

If you look at the first one though - the arm - it is matched in length and width to his other arm and hand - because I could - the exo is around his upper arm and elbow.

The great think about open source though s that there are many minds working on these designs - the recipient int he case of the black one actually chose this one as his favorite - and I sent sizing templates so he really knew and I made it as fitted as possible!

But do think on and any suggestions always welcome!

James

Thanks James for explaining.