Ultimaker original fan voltage

macua85

Posted · Ultimaker original fan voltage

Hi guys,

I'm looking to implement a dual fan/shroud setup on UMO. Can anyone advise the fan voltage I should get? I guess wiring in series/parallel would open up options. Is it 19v?

Thanks,

Anthony

I would not put 12V fans in serie. If one of the fans slows down the other fan gets too much power. If you have 12V fans you would have to reduce the 19V with diodes or a power zener. Using a resistor will not help since the regulation will not work well any more. WIth a resistor you will find that is has difficulty spinning up and then runs full speed.

In my case I have a separate 12V dc dc converter that powers the fans with a additional fet to do the speed regulation.

I have been looking into this and the fan on my UMO is 12v but the supply from the board to the fan is 19v from what i have read, i have a second 12v fan due to arrive next week for a dual fan setup...

I think i see a post from sander saying he done this and wired up 2 x 12v fan in parallel but can't find the post now,

So my question is do i wire them up in parallel or series electronics is not my department....

Hooking up a 12V fan on a 19V power can only work if you have a very robust 12V fan. Only if you are 100% sure that the 12V fan can handle it then you can do it. You will not be the first one finding out that the new 12V fan is not robust enough resulting in a smoked out fan and a blown darlington transistor on the UM board. If you have the skills to replace the darlington on the board you might want to risk it... I would not do it. I would simply add enough diodes to drop the voltage to 12V. About 11 1N4001 diodes could do the trick for you and they are cheap. Once the 19V is dropped you can parallel the fans. I would make sure that you use 2 of the same fans and not mix fan types.

Do not put 2 12V fans in serie on a 19V power. If one of the fans spins up first it can get to much power.

Just to be clear to everyone, the material cooling fan is driven at 19V.

Some fans won't like this and instantly release the magic smoke.

If you use a 12V fan, you can use a zener diode to drop the voltage such as:

http://www.newark.com/fairchild-semiconductor/1n4735a/zener-diode-1w-6-2v-do-41/dp/18C8951?CMP=TREML008-005

Mind the power rating. That zener is a 1W which limits the max current of the fan you should use to 160ma. However, at that current, the fan's rating can be as high as 1.9 watts which is a large amount for fans this size.

On 1/20/2015 at 12:45 PM, zoev89 said:

The voltage on the fans at the UMO are 19V. That quite a trouble maker.I changed it to 12V...

Does that also apply to the ultimaker Original with the 1.5.7 Electronics board. 
    I currently have two 12v fans, and after reading in forums, bought a 24v impeller fan,  connected it and it blows very vey slow.... and only with PWM higher than 175, so makes me think that maybe it is 12v.

I attach the design down here

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-05 12.12.07.png

27 minutes ago, alnavasa said:

Does that also apply to the ultimaker Original with the 1.5.7 Electronics board.

Ultimaker Original is very well documented. It seems to be 12V, 1.2W

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UltimakerOriginal/tree/master/1075_Print_Head_Fan_12VDC_1%2C2W

1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

Ultimaker Original is very well documented. It seems to be 12V, 1.2W

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UltimakerOriginal/tree/master/1075_Print_Head_Fan_12VDC_1%2C2W

Thanks, the my problem is because there are so many different versions of this printer :S