Heatsink Detached on Mother Board

philip

Posted · Heatsink Detached on Mother Board

I got a second UM original and when I opened the Electronics Box I discovered that a heatsink on the mother board was detached. I mounted anyway and when I finished to build the 3D printer, I switched on and is working.

My question is the absence of the heatsink is going to cause problem?I plan to use the 3D printer for long prints.

Is there a way to stick this heatsink together or is better to ask for a replacement directly?

IMG 5869

IMG 5868[1]

Many thanks!

Hi,

Yes this will cause a problem with the extruder. The stepper driver will overheat, and cause skipping, or may damage it irreparably and will have to replace. Fear not however, the exact same think happened to me. I went out and bought some silver thermal glue: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HT1X9O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's worked perfectly, and have plenty more just in-case it happens again.

I don't know the exact point where it starts to fail, but it's fairly noticable; you will see missing steps.

I "heard somewhere" that super glue also does a good job as long as it can stand some heat. I've been using that for a while now and every now and then it falls off again. Never had problems with skipping though.

yeah, when I got my Utimaker 3 years ago, there were 2 of them detached. Glued them with superglue back on and never had a problem. After a while I noticed that one loose again and glued it back again...

Same story here, when I opened my UMO to retrofit a controller, and most of the heatsinks fell off the board.

I am using the same drivers without heatsink for another Arduino project, so I was not too concerned, but I eventually glued them back with the Arctic Silver Thermal Glue.

Be careful, this is not the same as the 'standard' thermal paste, as it is real glue, so never use it for a processor fan!