Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
fallen013

quick idiot question me being the idiot

The clip supporting my bowden tube just shattered on my UM2. This means it is no longer locking in the feeder, I was changing the filament and segment got trapped in the tube, So when removing the tube itself to get the plastic out after loseing off the back box the white plastic bit which holds it in place fell to piece, I put the pipe back in put it all back together and of course as the tube isn't help in place it moves so printing isn't going to happen right at this moment cause of this.

I also found that there was a kink in the tube that the filament was sticking too. So I feel the tube has obviously warped at some point but 700 hours + printing inside of a month is not surprising so total ware and tear on my part. I do print an awful lot of stuff.

But there is no replacement Bowden section in the UM2 spare parts will the UMO one work or is it size specific?

No way I'd pay UM parts prices and shipping (and hassle) for that! I bought 6mm tubing from Amazon.co.uk. I also bought plastic plumbing parts that (if you look carefully) provides the bowden clips and collets (x9). E.g. :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008NC4JUO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PF1RBK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I admit that I've not actually tried the hose yet, since my original tubing is still perfectly ok. That plumbing fitting provides the complete fitting: collet and collet clip.

I've also previously posted an OpenSCAD model to let you print your own collet clips :-

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7338-ultimaker-2-collet-locks/?p=68640

You don't need to use the clip. Instead loosen the 4 screws quite a few turns - maybe 2 or 3mm of gap. Then shove the bowden in as far as possible and re-tighten. The compression should be enough to hold the bowden-holder up without needing the clip.

You don't need to use the clip. Instead loosen the 4 screws quite a few turns - maybe 2 or 3mm of gap. Then shove the bowden in as far as possible and re-tighten. The compression should be enough to hold the bowden-holder up without needing the clip.

Ewwwww..... I'm sure this works, but yuk! ;-)

I believe we've been talking at cross purposes. I now think you mean the collet - the bit that encloses the tube, rather than what I would call the (retaining) clip.

Never mind, that plumbing fixture has both, and since that gives you 9 connectors for £5 you hopefully already have it by now!