Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
inventabuild

Ooze From Inactive 2nd Extruder Destroying My Prints

I'm using a dual extruder with my TAZ 4 printer, one has red ABS in it and the other black ABS. When the black ABS extruder (#2) is idle it is oozing onto the red print (see 3 pics at links below). I have Cura's "Retraction / Dual extrusion switch amount” set to 16 mm with retraction speed of 25 mm/sec and I'm using the Ooze shield. How do I eliminate this ooze that is destroying my prints? What settings do I need to change in Cura?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130315391@N08/15779180373/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130315391@N08/15780572213/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130315391@N08/16214377889/in/photostream/

Hi Inventabuild,

Are you sure it is black ABS, and not maybe burned particles of Red ABS?

If it is black ABS, you could try enabling a wipe tower to minimize it, however the oozing of the second (idle) nozzle is a common problem for dual extrusion which may always be visible to some extend.

Lowering the temperature so you have less molten plastic is also a good suggestion.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I also want to try to move the nozzle to x, y home using G1 X0 Y0 F1500 during extruder switches while I cool the previous nozzle to 60% temp as the new nozzle warms up. What is the generic variable and its formatting that I can use for extruder temp in the preSwitchExtruder window that will apply to both extruder 1 and extruder 2. Also wondering if there a list of these generic variables?

Daid,

Thanks for the plug-in. Trying it out now; however I would prefer to tailor it to each nozzle. For example, I like to print HIPS at 220C and Ninjaflex at 210C so I need a separate Dual Temp Extrude / Cool setting for each extruder. Is this possible?

You'll have to hack the plugin, but certainly possible.