U2 with hot and loud stepper motor

ib-guder

Posted · U2 with hot and loud stepper motor

Hello dear community and dear Ultimaker-Team,

I noticed a temperature difference between the X-Stepper (right one?) and the Y-Stepper (left one?). The current is set to 1300 mA. Printspeed is about 50mm/s.

The left motor becomes very hot, I can't touch it for more than 3 seconds. And it is much louder (hums, buzzes, when it moves).

The right one becomes hot, but I can touch it.

The model to print is a sphere, so both motors should have the "same work to do".

Is this an intended behaviour or should I adjust the current for the hot motor?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Tom Guder

I reduced now the current for X/Y from 1300 mA to 850 mA. Both steppermotors are touchable, no loss of steps until now with 50mm/s.

Does a low current any harm to the circuits and electrical parts?

Thank you in advance

Tom

Electronics is not my expertise, so I can't give you exact details. The lower current should not harm the electronics, but will significantly decrease the power of the stepper motors. Something weird is going on as they should be able to handle 1300-1600 mA.

Electronics is not my expertise, so I can't give you exact details. The lower current should not harm the electronics, but will significantly decrease the power of the stepper motors. Something weird is going on as they should be able to handle 1300-1600 mA.

Thank you for answering.

For which temperatures are the motors designed? Did you measured temperatures of the motors?

Tom

I think this could be the same issue mine had and then it eventually ground to a deathly halt.

But we explained it very differently.

Could you please go into details? Do you have a thread about this?

Bests

Tom

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9476-z-axes-issue/

It is presently directly below this one but the link is above.