Convince me to buy an Ultimaker 2 / Extended

richard-evans

Posted · Convince me to buy an Ultimaker 2 / Extended

Hi All

I have been 3D printing for nearly a year and my XYZ da vinci is not really doing it for me anymore.

I really need quality & strength in the prints so have been looking at a Zortrax M200, as they have some interesting filaments including ABS which i use currently, but I part of me whats a Ultimaker 2 and possibly the new Extended, because of a more open platform, and more control of settings to fix difficult prints etc, and play with some more interesting filaments...

However:-

Whats punting me off is that the Ultimaker is now 18th in the 3D Hubs Trends for quality?

Please can you share your thoughts to help me decide?

Thanks...

I'dd say the best way to convince yourself if have a look at the machine and some prints.

Don't see where you live, but there might be a shop or user near you ....

Possibly you can find an Ultimaker close by, on 3DHubs.com, send a few test drives to one, and ask the owner(s) if you can come by for info/observation.

The only negatives I've heard about Ultimaker is delivery wait time, customer service (don't know if they're one offs or indicative of overall support), no pause function to load next filament spool, single extruder.

They demo'ed a mini and extended in Las Vegas but nothing on their web site about these two new sizes or when they'll be available.

Good luck.

@AmyInNH: If I'm not completely mistaken, the latest firmware allows you to pause and change filament. Or maybe it was just planned for the next release? Either way, it's either available or will be shortly.

Information on the new printers is available on the site:

http://ultimaker.com/en/stories/view/57-ultimaker-is-proud-to-reveal-the-ultimaker-2-go-and-ultimaker-2-extended-at-ces-las-vegas

Those ratings don't mean much i must say.

Just look at the last shootout from make magazine which is more relevant (they actually test the printers).

Thanks for that, really really helpful!

I See that the Ultimaker 2 won best in shoutout!...

Looking at the results of that test it seams that the Ultimaker does not so well in things I don't have in my prints i.e. large overhangs and bridges, but the zortax fails on Mechanical Resonance in XY & Z which would have a massive effect on my prints... (print some pcb boxes with thin walls for potting)

Looks like an order for Ultimaker 2 in on the card, might wait for the extended to launch...

Work out how often you will need the 'extended' - larger stage I would have bought like a shot - higher Z is something I have never run into (I guess I don't print many vases over 200mm high!!)

The thing you need to remember about all the 3dhubs surveys is that they do not survey ALL their print hubs, and the survey questions are a bit misleading. - Plus they should ask the recipients of the printed product rather than the hub :) - I have been a hub for 1.5 years and have done 1 survey - when print quality was not one of the questions.

The best option is just to order some test prints from 3D hubs people. This will show you way better what the machine can do.

Also remember that it isn't all up to the printer. The printer only does what the owner tells it to do and some people are better at this than others.

And what you say, Zortrax has a closed system and you can only use their filaments, where Ultimaker has an open system and you can use ABS too, but also PLA, PLA hybrids (look at all the cool stuff Colorfabb is working on!), PET, Nylon etc.

Where 3D Printing is suppose to be versatile and offering solutions, we don't want to offer you limitations.

And keep things as open as possible.

The best option is just to order some test prints from 3D hubs people. This will show you way better what the machine can do.

Might just do that : -)

Also remember that it isn't all up to the printer. The printer only does what the owner tells it to do and some people are better at this than others.

And what you say, Zortrax has a closed system and you can only use their filaments, where Ultimaker has an open system and you can use ABS too, but also PLA, PLA hybrids (look at all the cool stuff Colorfabb is working on!), PET, Nylon etc.

Where 3D Printing is suppose to be versatile and offering solutions, we don't want to offer you limitations.

And keep things as open as possible.

That's what's steering me in the direction of Ultimaker, would nice to be able to play with interesting material, XT-CF20 from colorFabb looks interesting...