Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
area0404

Oozing & Stringing Issues

I've constantly encountered rather bad oozing & stringing issues for quite a while already. They are not hard to clean manually but as I constantly wonder if alternate solution is possible. I've tried extrusion, zhop, faster movement speed to little to no effect. I am at a lost...

2015-02-05%2003.55.55_zpsvx8aiaqu.jpg

2015-02-05%2003.56.05_zpsfm5qnskt.jpg

And here are my settings. Code flavor is reprap because I prefer setting temperature in program rather than manual it at printer.

1_zpszfzrb7nc.jpg

2_zps2hy51mej.jpg

3_zpsqqs8zfud.jpg

4_zpstvcmadji.jpg

Anyone knows a possible solution? Thanks in advance!

hmmm thats a bad print, even at 210 I think it should be a lot better. I print a lot at 210 myself with much better result. did you try different fillaments ? Higher quality fillament could be it.

I personally have a lot more stringing with XT than with PLA, probably because of the need

for higher print temps.

and you don't need 70 bed temperature for PLA, just 50-60 is more than enough.

Higher quality fillament could be it.

Nope, this is the original ultimaker's blue PLA. I suppose they have a higher quality (as they are about 50% more expensive than 3rd party brands in general here)?

At that speed and layer size you should be able to print at lower temp. 200C or even lower

Hm... I'll try 200 once at 40mm/sec and see if anything changes. Thank you!

The blue material that we sell sucks. It's one of the worst printing materials that we have. I'm pretty sure a big part of the problems are caused by this. The silver/grey material prints way better.

Hooray! I was hoping for this answer! That means once I am through with this set of blue @#$@, it may be that I can do without cleaning up after every print. In the mean time, 0.075, 195 and 60 still shows no sign of improvement.

Agreed. Makes a REALLY bad first impression on hindsight. Especially if I've used other printers before.

I did. They seem to think that it's better to sell that stuff as it's our company color. I stopped fighting that battle after a while. Felt like my energy was better spent on other issues.

Our material people are working on ensuring that all colors print the same, so in the future this should stop being a problem.

I have to agree with PM_dude, the Ultimaker blue has not been the easiest material to print with.

However the results I see are not a benchmark for what to expect with Ultimaker Blue.

When we learned about its limitations we tried to make it better, but when that didn't work (or took too long) we decided to drop the Ultimaker blue as a standard reel of filament.

.. if you look at the webshop we even stopped selling it for that reason for quite some time already.

We do listen sometimes you know ;)

To summarize, it does work, I have seen plenty of flawless print with Ultimaker blue. But.. it was less forgiving then other colors.

What about doing a test in which you control the temperature through the printer directly. To me it looks like the temperature is too high. Wonder if using the reprap gcode could be the issue here. At 210° I can print the ultimaker blue with no issues. True that it is not one of the nicest PLAs around, but still, something is wrong with your prints. I have quite nice pieces printed with the "default" blue filament.

That looks a bit of a tricky shape, wouldn't expect under the arch to be perfect, but the upper side should be much better than that!, I would side with the few that said something is wrong with the printer/code.

UM blue might not be the best pla, but its not that bad!