Sourcing a replacement "white bowden clamp" and "blue clip"

jcosmo

Posted · Sourcing a replacement "white bowden clamp" and "blue clip"

Is anyone able to provide a site where these can be bought?

I don't even know what to call the things so I can try searching myself.

Mine are ok, but I've seen several people comment on having 2 of them on the bowden as a means of stopping slippage+plugs, and without them you're in a fair bit of trouble so having a spare probably wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,

James

IIRC if you buy a new tube from Ultimaker they also give these clips.

You can also try just mailing support and asking, they might be able to help.

Or print out a bowden clamp from Thingiverse.

IIRC if you buy a new tube from Ultimaker they also give these clips.

You can also try just mailing support and asking, they might be able to help.

Or print out a bowden clamp from Thingiverse.

I'm printing the clamp, just thought the idea of the extra clip was quite elegant, esp when combined with something as simple as a pull tie. Also trying the idea of printing with excess bowden through the white clamp and then waiting for a plug to cause the teeth to really bite in.

Isn't there some concern with options like the clam that you compress the tube, thus adding friction?

@futurejames - yea and for us ppl all the way up here in Aus - no chance :)

Thanks

The white clamp has some metal in it, so you cant print it.

I'm printing the clamp, just thought the idea of the extra clip was quite elegant, esp when combined with something as simple as a pull tie. Also trying the idea of printing with excess bowden through the white clamp and then waiting for a plug to cause the teeth to really bite in.

Isn't there some concern with options like the clam that you compress the tube, thus adding friction?

@futurejames - yea and for us ppl all the way up here in Aus - no chance :)

Thanks

When I got a new bowden tube from Ultimaker, I followed the steps of putting excess bowden through and having the teeth really bite in later. I also used a printed bowden clamp (on hot end and filament feeder end). Hasn't budged since and I've burned through at least 1.5kg since then.

The white clamp has some metal in it, so you cant print it.

When we were talking about printed ones, we were talking about bowden clamps like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11864

My situation got a bit more urgent recently when I managed to somehow ruin the end of the Bowden cable when a plug happened early in an unattended print. This resulted in having to remove several cm of the tube, making it too short to reach the 0,0 position. UM support is being very helpful, but shipping the replacement tubing most of the way around the world costs crazy amounts, so I'm trying to source some locally in Australia. I'm not sure how many other Australians we have on the forum, but has anyone found a supplier for this in the past? I understand it's a 3.2mm ID, 5mm OD tube, PFA up to 260 degrees, 67cm long, though to my thinking and extra cm or two wouldn't hurt, esp if using Owens clamp which adds height to the hot end.

so I'm trying to source some locally in Australia. I'm not sure how many other Australians we have on the forum, but has anyone found a supplier for this in the past?

I couldn't find any in Aus. One place in Sydney had some that had a smaller diameter and was opaque. I think they were agents for Parker which make hydraulic stuff.

Owen

My situation got a bit more urgent recently when I managed to somehow ruin the end of the Bowden cable when a plug happened early in an unattended print. This resulted in having to remove several cm of the tube, making it too short to reach the 0,0 position. UM support is being very helpful, but shipping the replacement tubing most of the way around the world costs crazy amounts, so I'm trying to source some locally in Australia. I'm not sure how many other Australians we have on the forum, but has anyone found a supplier for this in the past? I understand it's a 3.2mm ID, 5mm OD tube, PFA up to 260 degrees, 67cm long, though to my thinking and extra cm or two wouldn't hurt, esp if using Owens clamp which adds height to the hot end.

I'm a bit surprised that the tube isn't available in AU, since it is used for supply lines for water coolers, office coffee makers, and similar devices... It is a standard 1/4 in OD, 1/8in ID PTFE or PFA tube (sorry, no metric equivalent...

can this tube help ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12ft-Teflon-Tub ... 3373a104d7

4 mm inner , 6 outer dia.

What exactly tube dimensions is it ?

jcosmo said . 3,2 / 5 mm & 67mm , joergen 1/8 / 1/4 inch

My OD was certainly wrong, speaking with UM support it is "about" 6mm, so maybe it's not metric...

I've found 3 possible companies in Melbourne, currently trying to confirm quality and sizes. One wants to sell it to me in 20 m rolls :). Another is very local and about 17 dollars a metre, but doesn't have much variety.

can this tube help ?

Isn't Teflon PFTE, not PFA? Meaning it doesn't do as well at higher temperatures?

I've seen some ppl say they are using PFTE, anyone care to comment on its effectiveness?

can this tube help ?

Isn't Teflon PFTE, not PFA? Meaning it doesn't do as well at higher temperatures?

I've seen some ppl say they are using PFTE, anyone care to comment on its effectiveness?

The main difference between the original 1/4in OD and 1/8in ID of the original setup, which is what most people have, unless they upgrade afterwards to something else, is that the imperial tube fits off-the-shelf fittings (plumbing department), while I am not sure if there is much hardware available for 5mm OD... in addition, 5mm OD has a thinner wall than the 1/4in OD tubing. I personally don't see any difference between PFA and PTFE in practical terms, so I would say get what you can find.

Just wanted to add my experiences with this issue.

Everywhere I've spoken to in Aus. requires a minimum 50ft spool if they can get it in at all.

$250 odd is a lot for a replacement.

Maybe if there are a few of us who would like spares we could do a group buy?

I'd be interested, although I will keep you up to date with my attempt to buy shorter lengths here in Melbourne.

I'm trying to source PFA rather than PFTE. There is a local shop that thinks they have some, but they are only open 8:30->4:30 weekdays, so having trouble getting there.

I'm also a little hestitant to buy large amounts until we see the next hot end, which UM support keep hinting at in all their emails to me at the moment.

I'm also a little hestitant to buy large amounts until we see the next hot end, which UM support keep hinting at in all their emails to me at the moment.

If you have a bowden tube that is compattible with the current hotend, then it will also work with the next hotend, so no worries there.

Yes, that was my concern, so good to know.

I've found a company in Melbourne that sells PFA tubing, up to 260 degrees, 1/4 inch OD, 3.2 mm ID, at about $27 a metre. It also seems they will sell it by the metre. Another crowd is in the process of confirming they can do it at $17, and they have confirmed they will do it I'm small quantities.

If anyone wants the details let me know.

Hi jcosmo,

You kindly offered to shate details where to purchase a ptfa bowden tube in australia. Did you manage to get one for the mentioned 17$ ?

Would be great because i am fine at the moment but had my first plug not sure when i may need to shorten it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I bought tubing from swagelok in the end - 1/4"OD, 0.047" walls - this is closer to a 4mm ID, which is larger than the original. They were the $17/m people.

They have a 0.062" wall variant (in theory 3.2mm), but get them to test it before you buy it, because the piece they offered me was closer to 3mmID.

Their site only sells it by the 100ft, but I phoned them and they were willing to just sell me smaller bits.

With respect to cutting it - be very sure you have to before you do - realistically I should never have had to cut mine.

Be wary when putting the machine back together after a plug not to overtighten the bolts on the hot end and thus put unnecessary upwards pressure on the tube - in my case I did this and I suspect this was what caused the tube to deform over the last few centimetres.

I will try and contact them.

Thanks for the help.

With respect to cutting it - be very sure you have to before you do - realistically I should never have had to cut mine.

If you are installing a new bowden, yes, most likely you have to cut it never again, but if you leave it 10cm longer, it's still going to be fine.