Simplify 3d Gcode edit - scripting

bob-hepple

Posted · Simplify 3d Gcode edit - scripting

Hi All

I have another thread on going on at moment

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9557-incorporating-your-own-supports-in-your-design/

place a nut in the middle of a print and print on top of it.

which I think sound cool BUT I spoke to Sim3D today, I asked how I would go about stopping the code inserting the nut at a given point then continuing.

The procedure was slice the model and at the point where I wanted to edit it take note of the line save the code and edit it and put M0 in that line. Sounds ok but im confused, they also said dont move the head but I need to move the head to get to the print.

The g code is not numbered as in my "MIL Software Codes G Code" so finding line 652 is not a problem bt finding line 652 without numbers is. (any thoughts)

Also instead of putting an arbutry M0 on a line at a given point wouldnt the use of the script, in the software make more sense. I already Have start code. End code. There is Tool change and layer change could these not be used to controll the pause of the machine while I place the nut in place.

Any help Appreciated as always

The procedure was slice the model and at the point where I wanted to edit it take note of the line save the code and edit it and put M0 in that line. Sounds ok but im confused, they also said dont move the head but I need to move the head to get to the print.

The g code is not numbered as in my "MIL Software Codes G Code" so finding line 652 is not a problem bt finding line 652 without numbers is. (any thoughts)

I don't know Simplify3D, but i think you will need a few more lines around the "M0" command.

Just a suggestion: you could slice the model with Cura and use the "PauseAtZ" plugin. Then take a look at the generated gcode to get an idea...

AFAIK it makes a retract, moves the head out of the way and then pauses the print with M0. After resuming it moves the head back to the former position, reverts the retract and continues the print (it's not rocket science...).

Of course the print head can be moved - you just have to avoid to do this "by hand"... ... but this would be pretty unlikely, because the steppers keep enabled during the pause - so don't worry!

To find the correct position in the gcode file just search for the appropriate z-coordinate. Why do you need line numbers...?

• 1 month later...

Heartman No problem,

I used simplify 3d, created the drawing, sliced it in Smp3D found the layer that was at the top of the nut where it is going to be printed over noted the layer, created the Gcode, went into Noted Pad and did a find for the layer directly below the line number I placed this code

G1 Z60 F900; move to Z60 at F900 speed

M0; pause

ran the code on my UM2 at this point the machine paused allowing the time to insert the just press button and print continues

hope this helped

Bob

Hi,

Thanks bob for your answer.

It's what I do actually,

except I use the "@pause" command

I'm under Repetier firmware, and it seems doesn't recognize the M0 gcode command.

I expected a way, to add under S3D a part of code,

in the scripts>tool change G-code just to avoid the external editing,

but I don't know how to indicate which line it make the move and pause.

Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Regards,

Could someone please send me the Process setting file you are using on Simplify3D. I have tried the Ultimaker 2 with no luck. For some reason it just doesn't extrude enough material.