Any plans to support importing models in Inches,etc...

mcgyvr

Posted · Any plans to support importing models in Inches,etc...

I know.. I know you all love the metric system.. :-P

But some of us from the other side of the pond ALWAYS work in Inches.

Just seems like it would be simple to have something in the preferences to set model import units.

• Like 2

You probably know this already but you can set the unit type at export of your stl in many packages so you can keep working in inches but export in mm.

I guess it could be done in some other way too

yes I do know that.. Just another step I have to remember to do..

I guess I'd like to see things like layer height/shell thickness,etc.. machine specific stuff (nozzle size/can stay in metric though..

No biggie.. mm dimensions don't just roll off my tongue as easily as others..

Just seemed like something that would be simple to do and just be a "cool they are thinking about other customers that don't deal in metric"

But having dealt with other "open source" hardware/software I do know its not as simple as I make it seem..

I had nothing but problems trying to get TinyG to support Inches without bugs. Getting the Gcode to work with G20 vs G21 was quite a challenge for them for some reason.

I think you would be much better off reprogramming your cerebral cortex to metric. Mixing the data between the two systems will invite oopsies.

• Like 1

Agreed. I see only issues dealing with such small numbers when a 0.02mm (20 microns) layer become 0.0007874016 inch doesn't make it any useful. It gets worst when requesting support when the numbers are not in the good unit.

Maybe having an import option to scale the units as inches (x 25.4) but stay in mm all the way.

Just seemed like something that would be simple to do and just be a "cool they are thinking about other customers that don't deal in metric"

It's hardly simple at all. It opens a road for a lot of bugs. (Just as the translations to other languages introduced bugs)

But some of us from the other side of the pond ALWAYS work in Inches.

Except when you use Cura. See it as a small step in the proper direction ;-)

As a colonist, I've nearly worn out the http://convert-me.com link on my browser bookmarks. :)

GOD BLESS those Russians behind this url.

Personally I use Google or WolframAlpha for that kind of stuff. I have set it up so that I can type "g 5in in mm" in the url bar and it'll go to google and it does the conversion. Or I can substitute "g" for "w" and have it go to wolfram instead (which can do many many more weird conversions like "10ml in drops" which I did yesterday).

Frankly, being scientifically minded and located in the US, I really think we should move to the metric system. It's just easier.

I initially struggled with metric units when I got the printer but now it is a little easier. For smaller sizes, I have a good feel for how big 10mm is. Large ones like 150mm I have to convert in my head to inches (about 6 inches right?)

BTW: The Win7 version of the venerable Windows Calculator can do conversions of just about anything, Go to the View menu and select Unit Conversion or ctrl+U.

150mm is also 1500000000 angstroms...

Yes, it is simple to code. The user preferred units are limited to unit conversions at the user interface only.

if (user_pref == imperial) then

display_val = changeToImperial(x)

and

if (user_pref == imperial) then

get_val == changeToMM(x)

As for export from the 3D model software as mm, the whole reason I found this thread is my exported mm model of a 7 inch object, from MeshMixer, is showing up as 7mm in Cura and I'm digging for answers as to why that is.

COOL info re: Win7 calculator/View drop down menu. THANKS, AmyInNH

Now, if Win7's calculator would ALSO convert units of weight as well, so that USA imperial units, and avoirdupois units, and carat units could be accomodated, as well.

For example, buying a 1000g spool of filament sounds like a lot, until one realizes that basically 454g = 1 avoirdupois pound. If pocket scales the size of credit cards can do this, surely an on screen Win7 calculator can also provide this comfort. <sigh>

I'll never understand why a country which fought an Independence War against the British Empire still uses Imperial units. :p

Actually what I meant was in Cura, this could easily be coded in Cura, using user preference setting for display units. The inside code/calculations wouldn't need to change, just the numbers displayed to the user. You can email Microsoft with your idea for their calculator but I've not seen them receptive since 1992. Possibly with Apple on their heels though they may be more receptive these days, you never know.

We're still using Imperial because the businesses said it'd cost too much to move to metric (tooling). Not unlike the current configuration of keyboards. They're configured to make you type slower - because typewriters used to jam. Too many users now to reconfigure, here anyways.

perhaps because we LOST that war, Dim3nsioneer

Ben Franklin was a member of the Royal Court, and as such was imprisoned by King George III for treason upon returning to UK to present the "Official Independence" documents at the end of the war. That trip was undertaken to officially complete US independence actions.

He rotted there for over two years while the King exacted his revenge upon the colonies and took it out on Franklin, and put into place British Taxation on the colonies in perpetuity. We got exactly zip, and are stuck with imperial units, and several other vestiges of our indentured status.

Metric is just perceived as more British "metrics"--- pardon the pun.

If you ever look closely at the Declaration of Independence held sacred in the USA, you'll find that Ben Franklin's signature is the only signer, who signed and used his British official Signet ring, in wax, on that document.

Actually what I meant was in Cura, this could easily be coded in Cura, using user preference setting for display units.

https://github.com/daid/Cura

Do your worst. Really, if you think it's so easy, do it. I'll see your pull request in a few days?

Dear US,

We know you like the imperial system. However, the rest of the world has switched to a superior measuring system.

Seems like it would be simple to switch.

https://github.com/daid/Cura

Do your worst. Really, if you think it's so easy, do it. I'll see your pull request in a few days?

Only if Ultimaker is putting me on their payroll.

It's not rocket science. Perhaps they'll spring for an intern.

Apparently it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

:???:

Wrote a long section about the probably reason for not supporting inches. But it seems that people before me has already answered it more than good enough. So I shall not repeat myself.

Rocket science is quite easy. DeltaV calculations and orbital maneuvers are not that hard to calculate.

And you do know that I worked on this project from Dec 2011 to Sep 2012 without getting any pay for it?

Dear US,

We know you like the imperial system. However, the rest of the world has switched to a superior measuring system.

Seems like it would be simple to switch.

...and use the correct order for the date : Day Month Year

:D

Why not just always scale to 0.0394 if you have designed in inches..?

Is it coinsidence that this calculating factor ist very close to the small part of the golden ratio?

a6dbdb085a3dfd2efa8e6e59b9b1a4db.png

959b1f452b9e85007c560d94cd4cf628.png

Apparently it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

:???:

Wrote a long section about the probably reason for not supporting inches. But it seems that people before me has already answered it more than good enough. So I shall not repeat myself.

Conversion limit to GUI display value only, not the underlying calculations. Have written US/UK aeronautics, confine unit preference to UI display only.

And you do know that I worked on this project from Dec 2011 to Sep 2012 without getting any pay for it?

No, I didn't. You must have a lot of spare time.

Once the new version is released you could write a plugin that changes this. I personally don't like encouraging people to use imperial units, because they are horrible (so I'd rather not invest development time in it ;)).

Conversion limit to GUI display value only, not the underlying calculations. Have written US/UK aeronautics, confine unit preference to UI display only.

Problem is that it gives tons of extra places where this can go wrong. (Especially in the current codebase)

No, I didn't. You must have a lot of spare time.

Yes and no. I simply initially made Cura for myself. As I wanted to print with less effort (going from model to print was quite difficult back then). I always have hobby projects, right now, I'm building an "space ship bridge simulator" for example.